New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  15:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Years back I read of a show (2002?) that sounded interesting; it began with Frank solo for a few numbers, then joined by Dave Lovering, followed by the Catholics one by one till the entire band was on stage. I think Scott replaced Dave at some point.

Does anyone have a recording of this show and would they be able to post it at one of those download sites: megaupload etc.

I offer my anonymous gratitude in thanks. I know, I know, it's a bit much but I'm generous.

Thank you for reading,
A x 3

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  19:19:02  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is the one you're talking about:

Brick By Brick, San Diego, CA, July 21, 2002 - 74m cdr
1. crackity jones
2. brackish boy
3. cactus
4. nimrod's son
5. gouge away
6. hermaphroditos
7. dog in the sand
8. headache
9. whiskey in your shoes
10. velvety
11. all my ghosts
12. calistan
13. dog gone
14. end of miles
15. 21 reasons
16. bullet
17. mr. grieves
18. cold heart of stone
Notes- the 4th FB show i taped. i suppose it came out as good as the others, quality-wise.. with no major problems to mention.
Band lineup: ok, hope this isn't too confusing: first song, frank solo. then Dave Lovering joins for Brackish. rest of the band, sans Scott, join during Cactus. then for Gouge, Scott replaces Lovering. Calistan is just Eric Drew Fledman's organ with Frank singing. Dog Gone is Frank solo. Dave P comes out and slides around on End of Miles. The rest of the band joins again during 21 Reasons. Short show because Scott was ill, apparently.

sorry i don't have this, but i would be interested in hearing it also.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  10:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This also happened at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano in 2002...Frank came out solo for a bit, followed by Dave Phillips, then Rich and McCaffrey. Frank (I still find it hard to call him Black Francis) then announced the reason for this was they were waiting for an extremely late Scott Boutier. He joked he was stuck/arrested at the border. They had no drummer for the time being, so Frank invited David Lovering (who was in the audience watching...he had done his scientific experimentation show beforehand) up to the drums. Dave jumped up on the stage and played abou three songs with the Catholics. Fun night! Scott showed up soon thereafter...I can't recall why he was late...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  10:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And there was the legendary Cafe du Nord gig which started with FB, then Eric joined him, and then the other Catholics. HearItAgain recorded that one I believe though I think they're now defunct.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  03:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was also that excellent gig from slims in LA where FB started, EdF came in for calistan , brackish boy etc. Frank gave a nice little bio for EDF stating he liked long walks on the beach / horse back riding and a few other funny comments. pretty funny stuff.
The catholics were playing cards and followed up later with a rocking set including some SMYT and lots of other favourites. A gig that i would have loved to have been at.
You guys in LA get all the luck!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  07:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Brick by Brick is the one I was thinking of. Too bad no recording of this is circulating about; it sounds like a fun show!

cheers
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  07:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji
Short show because Scott was ill, apparently.

They canceled the Santa Barbara show that was suppose to happen the next day or so. Still bitter about that one.

Edited by - darwin on 09/21/2009 07:40:24
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  08:47:51  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Thanks! Brick by Brick is the one I was thinking of. Too bad no recording of this is circulating about; it sounds like a fun show!

cheers

well it was obviously recorded - but yeah, it doesn't seem to be circulating at all.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  09:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

And there was the legendary Cafe du Nord gig which started with FB, then Eric joined him, and then the other Catholics. HearItAgain recorded that one I believe though I think they're now defunct.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

Nerd alert: that was at Slim's, not Cafe du Nord.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  09:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

There was also that excellent gig from slims in LA where FB started, EdF came in for calistan , brackish boy etc. Frank gave a nice little bio for EDF stating he liked long walks on the beach / horse back riding and a few other funny comments. pretty funny stuff.
The catholics were playing cards and followed up later with a rocking set including some SMYT and lots of other favourites. A gig that i would have loved to have been at.
You guys in LA get all the luck!

Nerd alert: You and Dean are speaking of the same show. You had the venue (Slim's) correct, but the city (Los Angeles) wrong. Slim's is in San Francisco.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  10:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep i am an FB gig anorak. But not a very geographically precise one.

Great gig though.
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  18:08:33  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SF does tend to get the best FB performances. Of course, this perception could be due to me living there from 98 to 03 when the Catholics were in their prime (they probably kicked ass elsewhere too). I saw probably a dozen FB shows at Slim's and this was truly one of the best. Anyone have a recording from Great American Music Hall around the time of DW/BLD sessions? I'd kill for that one. I have the Slim's recording and if it is truly not available for sale I'll gladly post it. Might be a day or two as I'm employed and have children etc...
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  21:12:14  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hearitagain have long since gone, so if you could upload the slims show that'd be great.
was sure i already had it, but i've come up empty handed...

Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  03:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have it, iŽll upload tonight
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  07:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobo plenty

SF does tend to get the best FB performances. Of course, this perception could be due to me living there from 98 to 03 when the Catholics were in their prime (they probably kicked ass elsewhere too). I saw probably a dozen FB shows at Slim's and this was truly one of the best. Anyone have a recording from Great American Music Hall around the time of DW/BLD sessions? I'd kill for that one. I have the Slim's recording and if it is truly not available for sale I'll gladly post it. Might be a day or two as I'm employed and have children etc...

I think SF does get special attention from Frank. He certainly seems to play here way more often than anywhere else, that's for sure. One of the best reasons to live here, in my opinion.

Also, yes, I would love to hear a recording of that Great American Music Hall show, too.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  17:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Slims Show:

Part 1: https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZW9DRm8rd0F0d0ZFQlE9PQ

Part 2: https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZW9DRm84R3NUME94dnc9PQ

Enjoy!

Salu2

Edited by - ccuadros on 09/22/2009 17:31:56
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  21:15:01  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks alot!
from a quick listen, the EDF stuff seems a bit awkward which is rather unfortunate.

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  11:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was pretty awkward, you got the feeling he didn't know he was going to be on stage when he got the the club that night. Still a fun experience, though.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  11:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting Slim's. My copy from Hearitagain is hidden amdist a plethora of junk. Even though it's unrehearsed, I like EDF's playing.

That someone taped the Brick by Brick show has me wondering if it will one day emerge.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  11:22:24  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

This also happened at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano in 2002...Frank came out solo for a bit, followed by Dave Phillips, then Rich and McCaffrey. Frank (I still find it hard to call him Black Francis) then announced the reason for this was they were waiting for an extremely late Scott Boutier. He joked he was stuck/arrested at the border. They had no drummer for the time being, so Frank invited David Lovering (who was in the audience watching...he had done his scientific experimentation show beforehand) up to the drums. Dave jumped up on the stage and played abou three songs with the Catholics. Fun night! Scott showed up soon thereafter...I can't recall why he was late...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN

yes that one was a goodie!
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=351

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000