Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  04:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://blackolero.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-de-rentree.html

I know I could have posted the Youtube link, but more hits for Blackolero, how could I resist?

"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  17:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is the funniest blog post ever
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  02:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catholics boxset on a usb drive? I can't think of many more unappealing ways of buying music than on one of those things. What's the advantage of getting that over plain old mp3s?

The idea doesn't seem to do justice to such an incredible band.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  08:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's not the most appealing thing, is it? It's preferable to the stuff not getting released at all, I suppose.

Still, admirable how they're experimenting with different ways of releasing all of these songs, and the effort and enthusiasm are evident!

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  13:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True. I don't mean to be negative. Anything that facilitates the amount of music this guy puts out can only be a good thing. It's probably a personal thing but I think I'd still rather just download the files than have them ship me a usb drive. And boxsets in general are strange things. I'm never sure who they're supposed to appeal to. Fans who already own most of the content or new listeners who would be better off trying out an album or two.

Going back to the point of the thread though. They seem to be getting better at these video blogs. Reigning in some of those crazy effects.

They should post some of the info he divulges in the videos to the news section of that site. Maybe even just mention in the news that there is a new video blog to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  18:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha... I think the Chunky candy bar part was my favourite, I'm not sure why.

Yeah, I think the boxset on a USB drive is a bad idea too. To me, the whole point of boxsets is that they're targeted at collectors. Collectors are people who generally would like a cool package with some nice artwork and, in the case of a band that is 'on hiatus', maybe some old photos, stories, etc. Content that might not be out there now. And this would also include music, whether it's some hand-picked live tracks from their heydey, b-sides, unreleased/alternate versions of songs, studio outtakes, etc.

The problem is that we as Frank Black fans are generally pretty spoiled in that most of this content has, in one form or another, found its way to the internet - and with Frank Black's blessing at that. So that probably presents a problem for FB. My solutions generally involve content creation which probably means getting the boys back together one way or the other, and I somehow don't foresee that.

So what's an FB to do? Moreover, what's a record label to do? I'm guessing that they've decided there's not a market or these vital pieces I mentioned are essential and thus it won't see the light of day... unless FB releases it himself, which probably means on a USB stick.

I guess I understand after all. But it's too bad.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  19:53:52  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
USB drive is an odd idea, but as long as it was in lossless format i'd buy it.
if it were just mp3 i'd seriously think about passing it up.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  03:04:22  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i definitely want a cool package, and i'll be pretty disappointed if it's anything but vinyl. i have the cds, and thus the mp3s. there's just one thing missing.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  04:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Catholics boxset on a usb drive? I can't think of many more unappealing ways of buying music than on one of those things. What's the advantage of getting that over plain old mp3s?

I like the idea that USB sticks offer the artist a cheap/viable way of getting out content other than the music itself like video files, pics, text docs, chunky raisins and stuff in other formats too. I think I'd prefer the artist's own DIY offerings over a well-produced package especially if they've thought creatively about content.

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  04:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have yet to purchase one of these frank USBs, so i have a question. are you able to put the content on your compooter and then erase the USB? and thus use the USB for you own whims and flights of fancy? if so, that's pretty nifty.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  06:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

I like the idea that USB sticks offer the artist a cheap/viable way of getting out content other than the music itself like video files, pics, text docs, chunky raisins and stuff in other formats too. I think I'd prefer the artist's own DIY offerings over a well-produced package especially if they've thought creatively about content.

True, and a good point. I agree in most cases but a rerelease is a bit different.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  09:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why has nobody agreed that a flash drive shaped like a Chunky bar would be a significant and excellent forward move for humankind?

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  12:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hafta say I'm old skool. I like a box set release of Red Letter Days to be *cd's* in a, um, BOX, of some sort, with pictures, liner notes, and assorted extras you wouldn't get in a regular release.

That being said I'd still buy a USB release but I would then burn it to cd and make my own artwork/pictures. USB releases seem lazy imo. I know work still goes into their release though...
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  02:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer a box set too, but I think the financial overhead in producing such ephemera is just too much to ask for these days....
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  05:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the USBs are happening because it's easier for Charles' to self release a USB than an cd? Or they're just a fun way to get more odds and end stuff, since it might take more time put a CD together. I guess the advantage over a digitial download at bf.net is the high quality of the files and the other multimedia.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  07:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
whatever the case, it seems to me that CDs are just about obsolete. the USB approach appeals to me as long as the main goods (albums, EPs) are also released on vinyl. naw mean? do you see what i say?

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  10:29:44  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mp3s hurt my ears.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  13:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

whatever the case, it seems to me that CDs are just about obsolete. the USB approach appeals to me as long as the main goods (albums, EPs) are also released on vinyl. naw mean? do you see what i say?

-----------------------

Not really; yes, mp3s are very convenient, but it's nice to have a proper CD to play. It'll sound richer through even halfway decent computer speakers. Plus you can still rip the files anyway to put on an mp3 player.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  19:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But do you find CD's to be noticabley different than mp3s when converted at 256 or 320 kbs rather than 128? I honestly can't tell the difference even when i listen to both through my stereo. The argument against cds in this case is that it's an obstacle for the independent artist to self-release, it's probably much quicker and easier to do it online or USB which is good for a prolific artist, or an artist who's fanbase has a demand for live releases and demoes.
However, in arguing for the CD it's nice to have artwork (but that can always be changed to vinyl which has better artwork) - OR because it's cheaper than vinyl and USBs. For proper albums i think the best strategy would be Mp3s early on, CDs whenever they can be pressed, and a limited run of Vinyl. For things like concerts and demoes, i'd say mp3, and USBs - the USBs with more media as an incentive
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  22:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you guys just did not understand his humour about that usb thing...
Or if he was serious, he has a bad sense of humour for the occasion.

Or maybe a bit cynical...

By the way I miss the Catholics these days.

++++
Go to Top of Page

Crackitybones
- FB Fan -

Guadeloupe
65 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  23:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without getting too serious about it I think there's a green thing going on here too. 95/05, Bluefinger and Svn Fngrs were released in card inserts. Dunno if it was recycled card but there was no plastic to be seen.

I don't know how environmentally friendly USB drives are but if you reuse them I guess they're good.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  01:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

i have yet to purchase one of these frank USBs, so i have a question. are you able to put the content on your compooter and then erase the USB? and thus use the USB for you own whims and flights of fancy? if so, that's pretty nifty.

-----------------------

Here's the news. Use anew the used and abused USBs as much as you please.

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  03:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crackitybones

Without getting too serious about it I think there's a green thing going on here too. 95/05, Bluefinger and Svn Fngrs were released in card inserts. Dunno if it was recycled card but there was no plastic to be seen.

I don't know how environmentally friendly USB drives are but if you reuse them I guess they're good.

Yeah, you may be right... My ticket for the Pixies Doolittle tour is uterly made out of paper as well, maybe recycled.
Black really seems to be into green... greenback I mean... ;)

++++
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  07:39:33  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

But do you find CD's to be noticabley different than mp3s when converted at 256 or 320 kbs rather than 128?

I can point out exactly what the psycho-acoustics do. Do you
happen to have a lossless copy of Sonic Youth's Teenage Riot?

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/21/2009 08:55:42
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  09:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the CD way back at home, but at university all i have is my hard drive of mp3s typically of 192 kbs quality. I wouldn't mind hearing about the difference though, because i am interested in the subject matter
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  09:58:22  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I will make an exhibit. I've kept in mind some glaring
spots, but I can't recall exactly what I heard.

I know two other easily heard examples off the top of my
head, one is Joanna Newsom's Milk-Eyed Mender where
overtones of the harp are mangled or lost, and the other
is somewhere on Oscar Peterson's London House recordings,
parts of which were released as The Trio, The Sound of
the Trio, Put on a Happy Face and Something Warm. where
Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen sound stale.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/23/2009 01:29:29
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  12:41:58  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is Teen Age Riot, the portion from about 3:25 to 3:50.

Listen to [the] lossless version a couple of times, pay
attention to the ride pattern that is just to the left of
centre. It really pops! Hear how consonant it is.

[tit-tit-tit]

Now listen to the MP3, it almost disappears.

The troubling thing is if I now immediately go back to the
lossless, it's harder to hear the difference. It's as if
I agree with how the MP3 is presenting the music.

That is frightening! It's like picking up a Quebec accent,
it's funny at first, but after a few days you get very
self-conscious.

M4A 320CBR

[I do not have much space available on my host, I have flac, WMA
and 256VBR and 256CBR MP3 examples if you need them.]

[The MP3s were created using LAME 3.97 beta through
Exact Audio Copy, starting with an Apple Lossless
file converted back to WAV.]

-------------------------------

Here's one from Joanna Newsom. I remember that this
album was the last time I ripped anything to MP3.
The first 15 seconds of The Book of Right On.

Listen to the room's reverb and to all the other strings
on the harp vibrating sympathetically.

In the lossless version you hear a pretty even loss of
energy after a string is stopped, and a very active room
and many strings.

In the mp3 you hear a less active room, one with fewer
and more similar echoes, and an abrupt overall loss of
energy with a re-attack.

[There's a really precise word for the random and lively
echoes, but I don't know where to find it. Maybe spurious.]

It sounds like an 80's digital reverb.

I know a piano has a weird attack wave. There is an
initial attack and a return before it fades.

M4A 320CBR

----------------------------

OK, here's the last one. This is Soon by the Oscar Peterson
Trio from The London House Session, originally on the album
Put on a Happy Face, just before and the first part of the
solo. There may be better examples on this box-set. It's a
longer sample and it's subtle enough that I can't be positive
what all the causes are.

For this one, listen to the MP3 first.

At the end, do you want to hear any more of the song? To
me it sounds like work.

Now listen to the lossless.

The first thing I think is it must be playing back faster.
At the end, do you want to hear any more of the song?

What I can tell is happening on this track is that the
brushes bleed over from the left channel through the
bass mic, this is most obvious in the first part of the
sample. For some reason this is not very noticeable on
the MP3 version. I suspect this is due to quantization,
which is also causing Ed Thigpen and Ray Brown to play
every hit in perfect unison, which is boring and fatiguing.

Another thing is the bass is just playing notes on the MP3.
Listen at 30-33 seconds, just after the start of solo part,
the snap of the string isn't as snappy, there's not as much
fingers and wood and pulling on strings.

That's the greatest bass player in history, one of the best
rhythm sections ever.

M4A 320CBR

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/23/2009 01:27:59
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or maybe I'm full of shit?

Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  06:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't really do the test justice because i have shitty computer speakers for when i'm away at university, and my good headphones broke the other day!
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  00:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to prepare the test hammerhands although I haven't tried it yet. I came across to FLAC files back in 2003 and I remember that I used to check (listen) to the snare drums, that way you can really tell the difference between lossy files and lossless ones.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  14:14:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally I get answer about the Nijmegen USB dongle, can't wait for that! I'm really fucking chuffed about this, if there's video footage of the precore at Nijmegen then there's a good chance I'll be in this.

\.\'.\     
           \'\'.\    
          __\.\:/_//  
         {{{{{(__(") 
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  23:25:12  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I should explain: I did not meant to suggest that we would release mp3 versions of catalogue studio recordings. I was referring only to the delivery system. If we were to do a USB clip of a studio recording it would be full file.

bf
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  01:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  01:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:

I should explain: I did not meant to suggest that we would release mp3 versions of catalogue studio recordings. I was referring only to the delivery system. If we were to do a USB clip of a studio recording it would be full file.

bf

I have to admit to being too much of a dummy to know what full file means exactly but I think it was more the delivery system that I was questioning rather than the file type. I've got nothing at all against mp3s.

Anyway, enough from me. I feel like an idiot for whinging about the little things when just the fact this incredible music exists blows all other concerns out of the water.
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  15:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Levitated

Thanks for taking the time to prepare the test hammerhands although I haven't tried it yet. I came across to FLAC files back in 2003 and I remember that I used to check (listen) to the snare drums, that way you can really tell the difference between lossy files and lossless ones.

I mean the cymbals. If it sounds with some diginoise-crappy effect, the file is totally lossy
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  13:27:22  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jediroller

http://blackolero.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-de-rentree.html

I know I could have posted the Youtube link, but more hits for Blackolero, how could I resist?

"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes

absolutely!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000