New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  18:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dante's, my favorite venue in Portland, is apparently going to have Grand Duchy headline a show on the final night of MusicFest Northwest. From the Dante's calendar page:

"Saturday, September 19, 2009
MusicfestNW
GRAND DUCHY--
BOBBY BARE JR.--"
http://www.dbmonkey.com/calendar.cfm?cal=dantes

On the festival's website, Grand Duchy are pictured in the front page slideshow thingy, but I see that the band is not listed by name as yet, though the site content is very sparse as of this writing.
http://www.musicfestnw.com/

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  09:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to add an update for this. I noticed in the last WWeek publication that Grand Duchy is no longer a listed band playing MusicFest NW, Dante's just lists Black Francis....

"8/31: Black Francis to play solo acoustic set at MFNW
MusicfestNW presents a special evening with legendary rocker Black Francis. He will be performing a solo acoustic set on Saturday night at Dante's. This will be in place of Grand Duchy who were originally going to headline that night."

http://www.musicfestnw.com/

Anybody know why Grand Duchy is no longer going to play that night?

Edited by - mosleyk on 09/08/2009 09:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  09:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most likely because of the husband and wife drums/keyboards of Jason and Silver are expecting a child quite soon.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd change the thread topic to "Black Francis..." if I knew how, but no matter - the important thing is we fortunate Portlanders get another chance to see the man on stage.

Thanks!

Edited by - Nate in the PDX on 09/10/2009 07:36:30
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  02:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Done.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

heile
- FB Fan -

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  10:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who in portland is going to give me their ID so I can get into this show? I just moved here from Eugene and I'm not quite yet 21......and I just missed the solo show a little while ago.

sucks
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  09:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heads up for anybody planning to attend who doesn't already know this stuff: because this show is part of the MusicFestNW lineup, no advance single-show tickets have been sold. Tickets will be available for $15 when doors open at 8pm tomorrow, but I assume the number of tickets will be limited and people with festival wristbands will get precedence.

Lineup:
9pm Hill Country Revue
10pm The Moondoggies
11pm Bobby Bare Jr.
midnight Black Francis

I'm excited to see Bobby Bare Jr, don't know much about the other bands on the bill.

I'm guessing Mr. Thompson will be on his best behavior if he's flying west on Sunday for that Mark Mulcahy show in Brooklyn, so maybe the wine-fueled expansive mood of some recent shows will be mitigated to some extent.

heile, that sucks about your not-yet-21-ness. Would that I were in a position to help somehow...
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  10:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get it. Why this discrimination against 18-20 year-olds? I can't think of one good reason. It's really odd. Is it just some stupid historical reason and it's too hard to get the law changed or something?

Have a good show Nate. Let us know if you get in to see it heile.

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  11:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tro, I won't pretend to understand why when my older brother grew up, he could legally purchase and consume alcohol at age 18, but I had to wait until I was 21 to do the same things. Something about legislating morality... it's a load of crap, but that's the law in just about all of the United States of A. I recall the drinking age in Louisiana remained set at 18 after the rest of the country changed to 21, but I don't know if that's still the case.

The challenge to music venues in Portland (and I guess all of Oregon) is that if you admit people under 21 to a show, they have to be physically separated from any area where alcohol is being sold and consumed. This makes for some pretty bizarre venue configurations, where a security fence usually snakes across the floor and IDs are checked before you can enter the alcoholic zone, which divides the venue disconcertingly (so to speak). As far as I'm concerned, that hurts the experience for everyone.

I don't know if there's also an age floor of 18 (or 17 or whatever) under which people aren't admitted, or if shows can truly be "all ages" as long as the drinking population is segregated.

But ultimately the booze law sucks for heile, same as it sucked for me when I was not yet 21 and missed a ton of great shows.

I had a few beers at lunch, by the by, so pardon me for going on and on about this...
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  13:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nate. I guess I was always aware of the 21 age limit in the US but I hadn't really thought about what it meant in practice. Venues split up by security fences does sound bizarre. I guess most parents are happy to keep it the way it is though. If it's any consolation the 21 limit might actually be the more sensible one (the UK has very serious alcohol related health/social problems amongst teenagers that gets more worrying every year. Everyone's concerned, not just the moral brigade). I'd still keep our limit at 18 though.

Changed my tune there pretty quick

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  10:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I forgot to mention above is that the venue for tonight's show, Dante's, is a fairly small room with bars on both sides, so as far I can tell they don't even have the option of configuring the room to accommodate an all-ages show. I love the place, and I'm thrilled to have a chance to see BF play there, but then I'm well on the north side of 21 so I can be selfish about this and not dwell too long on the 21+ thing.

Speaking of selfishness, this is probably a good place to note that I'm aware how very fortunate we are in this neck of the woods to have so many opportunities to see the man play live. I've been in the Northwest for a little over three years and -- off the top of my head -- have seen FBF in Olympia, Seattle, Portland (six times) and Salem; Grand Duchy in Eugene; and Pixies in Seattle on the Doolittle tour. But this frequency hasn't diminished my zeal one tiny bit, no siree, Bob. I feel for my fellow fans who don't get to see the man play live on a regular basis, as was the case for me for a lot of years.

Blathering on again... I'll check in after the show tonight and provide whatever I can, though I'm not a set list recorder and trust someone else will take care of that particular piece of business. Cheers...

Edited by - Nate in the PDX on 09/19/2009 16:35:30
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  13:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How was the show? Did anyone see Hill Country Revue? I caught the end of their set when opened up for Mofro last year. Got to watch them go crazy on the washboard.

7/27/99 9:30 Club DC
6/18/00 Fletcher's Baltimore
8/14/06 Chameleon Club Lancaster, PA
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  15:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrific show.

I was nonplussed about Hill Country Revue... garden-variety blues rock. The electric washboard was a neat little gimmick. Moondoggies were a little more interesting but didn't do a whole lot for me, though there was a lot of booty-shaking on the floor, which was nice. Bobby Bare, Jr, though was excellent. Aside from Reid Paley, who I love, I can't remember anyone sharing a bill with BFB who impressed me as much as Bobby Bare, Jr. I'm still puzzled that someone thought Grand Duchy would have fit on this bill, as originally planned.

It was a music festival crowd, so I'll admit I was worried there might be some attrition before Charles came on. Oh, me of little faith. The house was packed at midnight when he hit the stage, just Black Francis by his lonesome, wearing a badass black leather jacket and ripping through about one hour forty-five minutes of glorious rock and roll from all the way through the catalog.

I'm not a set list keeper and even when I'm on good behavior as last night and not intoxicated to some degree, I have a lousy memory. Some of what I think I remember, in no particular order: Crackity Jones, Holiday Song, Nimrod's Son, Ramona, Gouge Away, Angels Come to Comfort You, Burnt Out Rock and Roll, I'll Be Blue (he flubbed a lyric and aborted this one, the only time he did that in this set and one of the only times he made any remarks between songs), Headache, Los Angeles, Massif Centrale, Get Away Oil, Manitoba, Dead Man's Curve, Cactus, All Around the World, The Water, Two Reelers, Tight Black Rubber... so many, so wonderful.

He finished with motherfucking "Dancing the Manta Ray."
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  16:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  16:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also -- I think -- Caribou, Horrible Day, Six-Sixty-Six, Velouria, When They Come To Murder Me... a great, great set, played to an appreciative crowd.

The setting at Dante's, a dark little rock club, couldn't have been more different from the all-seater Aladdin where BF played not too long ago, and was much more to my liking. Though late in the show I was chastised by a rather belligerent neighbor who I guess thought I wasn't giving him enough room. (My sincere apologies again, if you're reading this, neighbor fellow; I have no doubt I was being uber-fan guy, but I do try to be sensitive about limiting my own annoyingness.) Charles Normal was in the house. The friendly group to my left intermittently released clouds of marijuana smoke for us all to share. A magical evening.
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  17:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it when he's in a chatty mood, but it was kind of refreshing to see the man plow through his set with very few pauses between songs.

Aside from his laughing at himself for messing up "I'll Be Blue", there was one little bit of banter: he took a swig of water from a bottle and, noting its brand name, said something along the lines of "Ah, that's why I haven't forgotten any lyrics, it's Smart Water!" And then he gestured towards the Heinekens and bottle of wine which had been set up for him but which he hadn't yet touched and referred to them as "Dumb Water."

Edited by - Nate in the PDX on 09/20/2009 18:15:33
Go to Top of Page

mnsteelers
- FB Fan -

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  09:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank was great. I didn't see Subbacultcha listed above. That would be a tough song to crank out solo but he made it work. Frank did and hour and 45 minutes pretty much non-stop. He was playing a Fender telecaster through a VOX tube amp. His guitar had a really cool sound. I'm pretty sure he plays through Marshall amps with the Pixies. Bobby Bare Jr. was impressive. It was a good time.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  08:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spinner - Black Francis Performs Stripped Down Pixies Songs at Musicfest NW.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  04:36:50  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate in the PDX

Aside from his laughing at himself for messing up "I'll Be Blue", there was one little bit of banter: he took a swig of water from a bottle and, noting its brand name, said something along the lines of "Ah, that's why I haven't forgotten any lyrics, it's Smart Water!" And then he gestured towards the Heinekens and bottle of wine which had been set up for him but which he hadn't yet touched and referred to them as "Dumb Water."

i wish he'd realized this when i saw him in july...

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  13:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"In fact, most of the night focused on his gospel, country and rock-tinged solo works that drastically differentiated from his other band. "

hahahaha. I've obviously missed a few albums along the way
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  19:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frequency blog - MusicfestNW: Day 3.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly