New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  17:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB&TC self-titled, tracklisting is in alphabetical order! The Man Who Was Too Loud came on inthe middle of my playing the album on my itunes and when i realized i had the "name" tag activated, i clicked "album" and that song moved to its proper place at the end of said album. i guess itunes ignores articles. neat.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  21:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's interesting (to me) is how perfect the song order is alphabetically. The Man Who Was Too Loud is the perfect ending, too.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  02:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya, that is pretty neat. i learned of that when fb&c's were touring that album. frank was telling the crowd something like..."the new album is in alphabetical order...OK..time to play an "I" song"...then they went into "I NEED PEACE"!..it was awesome.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  08:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

... then they went into "I NEED PEACE"!..it was awesome.

Sigh...

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.

Edited by - kathryn on 05/14/2009 12:26:32
Go to Top of Page

emptyreality
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  11:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
noticed that a while back and for some reason didn't really think much of it. but now that it comes up again, i'm wondering if it was intentional to keep the tracks in order by filename, since this was one of the first major mp3-released albums.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
957 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  11:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or maybe the title names were influenced by the alphabet? I mean, could All My Ghosts be anything but the opener?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  12:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

could All My Ghosts be anything but the opener?

I've tried shuffling songs around (by mood, by length, etc.) and the answer keeps being a loud "no!" Great point, Brank.

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

emptyreality
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  17:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is rather well-sequenced. but the song titles seem so obvious. maybe frank had like, 40 songs and narrowed it down to the ones that worked best in alphabetical order. wouldn't be surprising as prolific as he is.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  02:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

ya, that is pretty neat. i learned of that when fb&c's were touring that album. frank was telling the crowd something like..."the new album is in alphabetical order...OK..time to play an "I" song"...then they went into "I NEED PEACE"!..it was awesome.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!

how about those guitar solos in that song, eh? shit, dog!

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  05:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emptyreality

noticed that a while back and for some reason didn't really think much of it. but now that it comes up again, i'm wondering if it was intentional to keep the tracks in order by filename, since this was one of the first major mp3-released albums.

Hadn't thought of that. I remember Pixies setlists were sometimes alphabetised and reverse-alphabetised years earlier so he's always been into mixing it up.

Confession: I'd listen to Suffering a hell of a lot more if it was called Ssuffering. One day I'll learn what I've been missing but it's so tempting to go from Steak into Loud. I hope I don't work up any purists. I take my cue from FB who says yeah, whatever works.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  01:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy the Suffering-Man transition. Suffering's a good rocking song leading perfectly into the slow beginning rockingness of Loud.

Very rarely do I skip the song. I'm glad he busted it out on the fall 06 tour.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  08:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the topic of transitions - that used to be a focus of mine in mixing the podcasts before we started theming and there are some great combinations out there. In fact, the first two songs we played on the podcast were chosen because they flow so great: Freedom Rock -> Whatever Happened To Pong (Black Sessions). Another great live transition was from Regina's CBC-recorded show at The State, Cold Heart of Stone -> Los Angeles.

Anyway, that's probably a separate discussion. While I knew that the album setlist was alphabetical, it never occurred to me to consider how unlikely it is that the album would flow as well as it does. Obviously a little song title manipulation could be used to fit songs in a good order and alphabetically, but there are no glaring examples of strangely titled tracks. Kind of cool that it worked out that way.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  23:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was "Close your eyes" retitled "I Need Peace" just to fit alphabetically?
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  11:04:45  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not that i'm even half as good. but do the same thing for setlists. and chronological for album track lists for our band.

i think it usually just works out. i think for FB&TC almost any order would have worked for me originally (definitely with exception) but i got so used to the order it's in that i prefer it that way.

I think his songs are so good that it almost doesn't matter. i think it's all in our heads. butt. i will say it would be hard to picture doolittle or surfer rosa starting any other way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000