Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  20:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ainr.com/pixies/index.html

basically expecting it to sound like half this new "black francis" and half the breeders

or maybe they'll actually sound like the pixies and they won't blow their legacy

maybe the only reunion album i've generally been worried about

-=Apesy

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  01:42:51  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's just a reissue of the original albums.

http://www.herfitzpr.com/http___web.me.com_herfitz_Site_Welcome.html/Minotaur_Digital_PR.html

Seriously, this continuation of the Pixies reunion is beyond a fucking joke. If they don't write new material then how the fuck can we take them seriously? They have tarnished their legacy by continually cashing in on themselves and stealing their fans money.
Go to Top of Page

Lex
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  02:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting fed up now (and that's saying something!!!) what is the point of all this!!!??
I see that there will be a DVD/Bluray of the 1992 Brixton gig so that's something I suppose.......and lets face it this'll be available on it's own soon too!!

I'm not scared of a new album, anything is better than nothing, c'mon Trompe got slated when it came out......took me years to get into...........oh well.

I'd still see them live playing 'the old stuff' but how can they NOT want to do new stuff when they're all together, it's just not natural!!!??
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  03:33:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be nice if they played some of the later material on this tour instead of all Surfer Rosa/Doolittle stuff.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  03:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Be nice if they stopped this reunion sham and wrote some new songs.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Be nice if they stopped this reunion sham and wrote some new songs.

I´m dissapointed, I´m agree with you Helmut
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Rolling Stone article: "For $175, the Deluxe Edition gives fans the five albums on a 24k layered CD and a Blu-ray for a total of five discs, plus a DVD of the band’s 1991 Brixton Academy gig (a year before their split) that also includes all their videos. The Deluxe Edition features additional artwork by Oliver and a 54-page book. The Limited Edition costs $450 and includes the entire Deluxe Edition plus all five albums on 180 gram vinyl, a Giclée print of Oliver’s artwork and a 72-page hardcover book. The Limited Edition comes with a slipcase, the Deluxe in a custom clamshell."

Who's gonna spend $450 for a box set -- with no new material? Jeez.

Reissue, reissue, repackage, re-evaluate the songs ...

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd consider it if there was an extra track and a tacky badge
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna boycott this. what a let down
Go to Top of Page

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
450 dollars... What did P.T. Barnum say?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:56:37  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

I'd consider it if there was an extra track and a tacky badge

and technically they are double-packing with a photograph!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:34:10  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think i'll keep saving my pennies for the Neil Young Archives
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bono bought a bakers dozen
he sent one to the pope
the rest he hasn't chosen
but I guess there is always hope
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rolling Stone - Exclusive: Pixies Albums Being Reissued for “Minotaur” Box Set.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:05:08  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much "collaboration with the Pixies" there was for this?

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:23:18  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[appreciation for fbc's humour]
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(appreciation for Helmut's scorn - for once)

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Who's gonna spend $450 for a box set -- with no new material? Jeez.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

I don't know but I bet he drives a Mini.

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  10:34:51  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/22/pixies-minotaur-box-set
Pixies go Gigantic with Minotaur box set

The alt-rockers repackage their complete discography, together with a live DVD, music videos, 54-page book and Black Francis's holiday snaps. (Guess which one we made up.)

Here comes your band ... Pixies reissue their albums, but still no new material. Photograph: Chapman Baehler/PR

Eighteen years after their last album, Pixies are to release a gigantic new box set, including five discs, a DVD – and not a single new song. The box set, called Minotaur, repackages their albums and EPs together with new artwork by the people responsible for the original cover photos.

Minotaur will be available in two formats. The standard version is sumptuously titled the "deluxe edition", and includes 1987's Come On Pilgrim EP, 1988's Surfer Rosa, 1989's Doolittle, 1990's Bossanova and 1991's Trompe Le Monde on CD and Blu-ray. The discs come in a slipcase, including a 54-page book and a DVD of music videos plus a 1991 gig at London's Brixton Academy.

Whereas the deluxe edition costs $175 (Ł119), for just $275 (Ł187) more, fans can purchase the limited-edition Minotaur. This box set, housed in an oversized clamshell cover, adds five vinyl records, a 72-page hardcover book and a giclée art print by designer Vaughan Oliver. Giclée is a fancy term for "inkjet".

The box set has been designed by Oliver and photographer Simon Larbalestier, using the same process behind the original Pixies album art. "My starting point would always be the music, reading the lyrics, talking with the band," Oliver told Rolling Stone. "The images that [Black Francis] painted with his lyrics really struck a chord. His work is full of fantastic imagery that always appealed to me, and those were ideas I was trying to reflect with the packaging."

Of course, while box sets are handy – lots of albums! in a box! – it's unclear why this set is being released now. The albums have not been remixed or remastered and the band's label has confirmed that no live tracks will be included. Bonus tracks may yet be announced, but Pixies have underlined that new songs are not forthcoming.

Minotaur will be released on 15 June, just after Pixies' headlining performance at the Isle of Wight festival.

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  19:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's a Catholics boxset in disguise.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5993 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:04:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha, that would be great

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  14:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EW.com - Kim Deal discusses the 'downright scary' Pixies reissue project, her 'weird' former label, those furry Polish hats, and other things of (possible) interest.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  11:30:58  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a little meh that the boxset can't/won't be sold as seperate products.
If I knew a place (no ebay) that sold all 5 records on whatever gram vinyl, I'd snap them up in a heartbeat. And
I'd love a book of Pixies inspired artwork by V23 and Simon Larbalestier that may exist from back in the day.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  12:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minotaur's hardback book features mostly new artwork I think, created by VO's students at the Uni where he's a prof. Never much liked the inauthentic artwork and never equated it to Pixies authentic sound. If you do get hold of vinyl, Doolittle should come with a 12" booklet featuring artwork from the initial release. I have the vinyl from the time and Doolittle's the one on vinyl that sounds markedly different than on CD (the parts seem much more distinct on CD), to my ears at least.

Anyway it now seems like a lot of the criticism towards the Minotaur release was misplaced as Minotaur was intended as a celebration of V23's contribution to the music as much as of the music itself. We should really be talking about the artwork more if we want to talk about Minotaur, though I'm already done.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  12:52:04  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was fun while it lasted.

Where did you read about the Uni students? I read the same thing recently but forget where. There were a few photos displayed too.
To be honest, none of the post-reunion art has grabbed my attention, including this booklet (for now. i've yet to see it). The only reason this means anything to me is because the album covers and inlays pre-union were a huge part of my fascination with *Pixies.

*they'd usually be a "the " here, but this one's for you. just this one

Edited by - fbc on 04/27/2009 12:53:56
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  13:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I should tread carefully when talking about the artwork. Here's where I saw the bit about VO's cheap labour force. http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/04/21/exclusive-pixies-albums-being-reissued-for-minotaur-box-set/#

It was fun wasn't it. My favorite bit was watching Helmut squirm when The Man deftly cut his legs out from under him.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RockPop Gallery News - Cover Story Interview – The Pixies – Doolittle - with photography by Simon Larbalestier.

Spin Magazine Online - Exclusive: Pixies Discuss Their New Box Set.

Edited by - Carl on 05/20/2009 18:10:10
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  07:30:06  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
new press release
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CppZmquA9bs

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  01:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair, the bulk of the criticism towards 'Minotaur' was that it was marketed as an exciting new Pixies project.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:04:45  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by me

To be honest, none of the post-reunion art has grabbed my attention, including this booklet (for now. i've yet to see it).

It's grabbed. If anybody wants to go halves on Minotaur...
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  17:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Music Week.

4AD prepares music and art event to celebrate Pixies

09:12 | Friday June 5, 2009
By Ben Cardew

4AD is holding a celebration of music and art in London to mark the
release of the new Pixies’ boxed set Minotaur.

The event takes place on Monday June 15 – the same day the boxed set goes
on sale - at Village Underground in London’s Shoreditch.

It will feature art installations by Vaughan Oliver, who did all of The Pixies’ cover
art, and the band themselves, who play the Isle Of Wight festival the previous
weekend, will also be attending.

Minotaur will be released as both a deluxe and limited edition. The deluxe edition
will include all five Pixies studio albums - Come On Pilgrim (1987), Surfer Rosa
(1988), Doolittle (1989), Bossanova (1990), and Trompe le Monde (1991) - on 24k
layered CD and Bluray, with reinterpreted artwork by Vaughan Oliver

Also included in the deluxe edition will be a DVD of a Pixies 1991 performance at
the Brixton Academy, the group's videos, live tracks and a 54-page book, all
housed in a custom slipcase.

The limited edition version will include everything in the deluxe edition, as well as
all five albums on 180 gram vinyl, a Giclee print of Oliver's artwork, and a 72-page
hardcover book, all housed in an oversized custom clamshell cover.

Edited by - Carl on 06/05/2009 17:24:25
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  23:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting...
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  09:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Rolling Stone - Exclusive: Pixies Albums Being Reissued for “Minotaur” Box Set.

thanks, great read

"Then, I have to get the right blister on my left hand, the ring finger on my left hand, for me to play some of the bass on the Pixies. It’s fun, but it requires a very specific callus to play for an hour and a half."

nice
and hot
Go to Top of Page

Crackitybones
- FB Fan -

Guadeloupe
65 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  23:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kogi

Did they ever tell if the box would have bonus tracks? The one and only bonus track I cam imagine is left is the unreleased Pixies track from 2004.

The AinR.com blurb still says "possible bonus tracks". I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

madtempest
- FB Fan -

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  03:54:08  Show Profile  Visit madtempest's Homepage  Click to see madtempest's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jesus, Minotaur is a freaking huge set.
Go to Top of Page

Crackitybones
- FB Fan -

Guadeloupe
65 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  20:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here it is, high art indeed -a furry cartoon cock signed by the band and the guy who drew it:
"Each copy of the Limited Edition is individually numbered, and hand-signed by every member of the Pixies and Vaughan Oliver. Additionally, at random, 25 of the 3000 Limited Edition sets will include test pressings of the vinyl albums."
http://www.ainr.com/popup_store/pixies_limited.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000