Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  10:35:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What would you like to be able to do on the new site? To find? To contribute? Let us know so we can build a comprehensive feature list and then we'll get into the job of trying to come up with a layout that works to make everything fit together. For example, looking at a song, you should be able to see discussion related to that song, its tab, perhaps even listen to it, and of course read all the juicy Discopedia info we've accumulated over the years not to mention add your own content.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  03:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one thing to consider adding is an easy way to contribute money. perhaps a subscription ability. i would be more than happy to give a couple of bucks a month to help with the costs of the site. if there was a voluntary subscription you might get a lot of people to contribute a little bit of money consistently. i sure appreciate that this site {almost always:)} stays up and running with no ads and would very much like the new site to be that way. if i had any ability or know how i would offer help putting the site together.
Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  00:47:33  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would recommend not having a title page. Should go straight to a page with menus and news on it. Title page = 1 extra pointless click.

Would be good to have any Tour dates on the front page too, and I'm sure Frank would appreciate this.

Looking forward to the new revamped site. Sorry, I know balls all about the technical gubbins, so can't offer much more than my two pence.
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  03:46:47  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
---Maybe once per week or month Black Francis can supply us with a playlist of songs he's been listening to, books he's been reading, and so forth ...

---how about a chat room?

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
897 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  05:36:50  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tofuescape

I would recommend not having a title page. Should go straight to a page with menus and news on it. Title page = 1 extra pointless click.

Would be good to have any Tour dates on the front page too, and I'm sure Frank would appreciate this.

I 2nd this emotion.

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
897 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  05:46:21  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the inclusion of an FTP or other for up/downloads within reason?

sminki pinki

Edited by - matto on 03/20/2009 05:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  07:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

More prominent donation location, sure. But there will be some ads on the new site, I'll keep them from interfering with content or readability as now.

Splash page, I agree. Gone in version 2. Tour dates and news will of course be prominent on the landing page.

I love anything that keeps us up to date with Mr. Francis, but as always this comes down to him passing along info. Hopefully he will be more involved with a new site. I don't like the idea of a chat room as it competes with the forum and I'd rather keep conversations archived for future perusal.

FTP or file sharing, possibly but not right away. We'll have to see what the load is like on the new server and with the new features before doing anything resource-intensive like this. But I do miss that feature.

Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
897 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:37:48  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree official source news is good, but what with the array of obsessed fans here, we -- err, I mean they, can submit news as well for main page use (via a moderator). Better to have daily/weekly info than more sparse official info (that's what bfnet is for).

Would an FTP load be less if you limit sound files to mp3s?

Maybe some folks can auction off fb goodies on ebay to raise $ for the site. I can donate some promos or something.

By the by, I really did enjoy the old site -- I hope I don't come across as slagging it!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1495 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:42:00  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe someone could volunteer an unofficial,
unofficial Frank Black fansite FTP.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  18:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was checking out the Moz site that matto pointed out in the other thread. I really liked it how at the bottom of each thread it had a section of Similar Threads.

One thing I don't like is how when you are logged on to a forum it automatically shows your user name as being online. I think that's kind of annoying.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/20/2009 18:08:31
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  19:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

What would you like to be able to do on the new site? To find? To contribute? For example, looking at a song, you should be able to see discussion related to that song, its tab, perhaps even listen to it, and of course read all the juicy Discopedia info we've accumulated over the years not to mention add your own content.

Perhaps a direct, obvious link between the forum and Discopedia would be helpful. It would be cool if each song/album had a discussion thread at the bottom of its Discopedia page. Maybe having the Discopedia as its own category in the forum would focus that sort of discussion, and there would surely be volunteers to keep the "official" postings updated as members dig up more and more info about the songs.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  05:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Crispy's idea. I would also like it if there were some links that were easy to access... maybe at the bottom of the new forum of all the links for FB/BF/Grand Duchy websites, myspace & Facebook pages.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3112 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  06:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be asking too much but a place reserved for downloads of shared material would be great. Financed by contributions. Basically a Send Me Some Frank store open 24/7. I'm dreaming I know.

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  14:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a cool idea tro.

I am biting this off of Adam's murmurs site, but I like how they have different social groups. It might be good for example, to have one for work surfing and one that might be so good to have on your work pc.

Not sure if these sorts of features exist, but it would be nice if there was some way that it was easier to format text & post pictures.

Also, it would be nice to have some sort of way of automatically limiting the size of sigs and if we end up having them, avatars. I know there's a few on pixiesmusic.com that I can think of that take up 1/2 your screen. They're funny but it sort of gets old having to scroll down so much.

Finally, I am not sure how I feel about it and would like to know what other folks think, but it might be nice to have 3-10 songs as background music kind of like hammerhands' bettie serveert page.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/24/2009 14:09:57
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  14:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd vote for no background music. It's likely I'm playing my own choice of music if I'm sat at my computer so I'm always turned off by websites that suddenly start playing music and have me searching for a mute button.

For long times I forget that the the rest of frankblack.net even exists. Would it be possible to make the forum feel more of a part of the main site? This site - http://www.illustrationmundo.com/forum/ keeps the same main navigation at the top of the site even when you visit the forum. I'd be more inclined to visit a fb.net news page if it didn't feel like I was moving to a seperate site to do it.

I haven't participated in their forums but whatever software they use it doesn't seem overloaded by massive signatures like a lot of forums.

Edited by - Active Duck on 03/24/2009 14:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  17:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I absolutely agree. I've been looking for a package that moves discussion throughout the site rather than having it located solely in a forum. So people looking at a particular song in the discopedia (or whatever it becomes) can see the discussion about the song/album/etc. The problem with most sites that do this separation of discussion is there's no place to read it all, which is where a forum is good - it gives a sense of continuity and community. My idea is a site with separated discussion that has a forum-like page that aggregates it. I have yet to find anything that does this well, so I may have to do this myself.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  14:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Active Duck, you are right about the music. I also like your ideas on integration and Dean's concept as well. I know it is going to be a lot of work, and wasn't really sold on the whole thing until I saw tmbw.net, but I think a wiki would be a very nice feature. I have always sort of assumed this, but a forum would in my mind be a must have feature. I didn't readily find one on tmbw.net and would agree that this is important to build a sense of community.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/25/2009 14:28:53
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2425 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  14:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tativille.com/
I know this has been around for a while and coincidently has a similar yet different feel to Franks first site or vice versa but... I like.
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  14:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad to see that the site is back. I never write, participate or anything, I just read it often. Or used to. I'm sorry about the lost data. That's sad, but no tragedy. Life goes on.

My suggestion, or rather hope, is that the new site makes very little or no use of tables whatsoever, just pure CSS. That makes everything load faster and look better, especially on my phone, so I can read it wherever I am. Flash and Javascript stink, should be banned completely.

And yes, you definitely need a Unix/Linux server with a good firewall, rootless SSH, good security model, everything.

Here's hoping and wishing you good luck.

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  17:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi lucmove, nice to read your comment. stick around, it seems like you know a lot. :)

Dan Jersey, the graphics on that Jacque Tati site are so nice. My dad loves Jacque T. so I will have to tell him about the site. To be a little honest though, I think something like that might be hard to navigate.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  18:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lucmove, yeah, it will be a total CSS site. I've long wanted to redesign this site and get it up to date, but it's so much work that it never felt worth it. With a server move though, definitely it's time to bring things up to speed.

There are two other web developers/fb fans that are helping to bring the new site to life as well as a graphic artist. But if you know your stuff, we could use a fourth.

Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  16:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have much time to donate, but feel free to drop me an email and I'll see what I can do. TWiki looks like a good option to me:

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/TWikiSystemRequirements

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  17:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi lucmove, very cool. thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  15:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking... it would be so nice to have a spell check that was easy to use/embedded in to where you make the post.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:15:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Get a Mac. :)

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

981 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the gigography is a good idea but it could be supplemented with actual show reviews. So...I could click on 2003 and read reviews from different gigs with setlists.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

981 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or any year, etc. I'm assuming that my review from the shows I've seen are gone when the site was attacked?

Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ideas, all. I can't wait for the new site!

CoF, is there any possibility of fb.net members keeping their same login/# of posts when emigrating to the fbf.net?
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  02:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Klikger. I'm curious about why would you want the same number of posts? I don't think I understand.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  06:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AAA, yes - the new site will integrate the upcoming tour dates with the gigography, and additionally will not only contain location but, where available, setlists, reviews, photos, and more. Everything from Nov 2007 and before is still there, and webarchive has a fair bit of information from 2007-2009 so your reviews are still there somewhere. The trick will be that we'll need everybody to help us build the new site with that information from this site.

As for keeping login and posts, it will depend heavily on what we wind up with for our site design in the end, but I suspect that we'll all be starting from zero again. Which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, it would clear out the inactive portion of our database, and put everyone on an even playing field with new members.

Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  06:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy, AD. I was curious to know if it was technically possible, not that it's super-important. It'll certainly be nice for new members to join on a level playing field, if that's the intention.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  19:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone with at least 900 posts should be able to keep their post total ;)

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.

Edited by - Jefrey on 04/03/2009 19:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  22:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only those with 11107 posts or more, I'm afraid.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  06:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dean. I think we should just start from 0. I agree it gives a level playing field. I also think it doesn't look good when you go to the members page and there area a lot for people that no longer are acitive.

So can we keep our user names, too? I really don't care either way.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 04/04/2009 06:22:19
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11509 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  06:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only reason I'd keep users/post count would be to preserve the discussion in the forum for posterity. If there is a way to migrate that, then I may keep existing users but otherwise, it's a whole new ballgame.

Go to Top of Page

pot
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2287 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  18:19:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
zip

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-

Edited by - pot on 04/05/2009 07:27:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000