steve albini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

freezerburn
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  08:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i once read that frank said he'd never work with steve albini again... does anyone know why or what caused him to say this?

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  18:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because, to paraphrase Frank, Albini apparently "Treated him like some jerk who didn't know anything", and was less than reverential about recording it. He cut part of I'm Amazed out, for instance. Frank said of Surfer: "If I could record that album again, I would." However, that's his style. He's renouned for his prickly personality and down and dirty recording techniques. Apparently, he hates recording vocals, hence the fact they sound a bit buried in the mix sometimes. And actually he doesn't like to impose himself to much on bands normally, which is why he refuses producers credit. Like a lot of fans, I actually feel that the way he recorded Surfer is part and parcel of the whole albums personality. There's a rawness to it and I also love the way the instruments and vocals rise and fall in the mix!

Edited by - Carl on 10/20/2007 18:38:01
Go to Top of Page

freezerburn
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  19:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. i assumed it had to do with frank just thinking he's an asshole, but i wasn't sure.

i'm a big fan of albini's, and i'm somewhat shocked to learn that he cut out part of "i'm amazed". it goes against everything he preaches that recording engineers should do. but who knows, maybe he felt differently 20 years ago. his personality has changed a lot since then. he's actually a very sweet guy these days.

Edited by - freezerburn on 10/20/2007 19:14:19
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  23:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting doc about Albini.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMU-IFUMOI
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  17:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

Interesting doc about Albini.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMU-IFUMOI

God that was horrible. I couldn't even take half of it.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  18:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you doodz are really interested in albini and what makes him tick then this is pretty informative. His name on this board is "electric". Enjoy.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=11034555&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OFFICIAL INTERNET TOUGH GUY
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this thread goes into it a little bit

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8821
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:11:31  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of Albini as engineer and musician as well, but it often bothers me when he shits on Frank and Surfer Rosa. The guy's career was taken to a whole new level with that record and he doesn't seem to appreciate it at all. He would have never got the Nirvana gig without that album. He owes Frank for taking his career to a new level.
Go to Top of Page

freezerburn
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  15:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

I'm a big fan of Albini as engineer and musician as well, but it often bothers me when he shits on Frank and Surfer Rosa. The guy's career was taken to a whole new level with that record and he doesn't seem to appreciate it at all. He would have never got the Nirvana gig without that album. He owes Frank for taking his career to a new level.

steve has said over and over that he regrets making negative comments about surfer rosa. if you ask him about it today, he'll tell you that although he appreciates the pixies, they just didn't move him the way they moved a lot of other people.

and it's not just frank he owes by a long shot. if it were any one member, it would be kim deal.

Edited by - freezerburn on 10/22/2007 15:36:00
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  15:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad nobody holds against me all the shit I said more than 20 years ago.

Edited by - BLT on 10/22/2007 15:50:12
Go to Top of Page

Donovan58
- FB Fan -

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  12:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Donovan58's Homepage  Click to see Donovan58's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you read fool the world it has all the info on it...

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Is it wrong that I touch my self to Gigantic?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  16:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen Albini speak live a couple times. I think he really just likes to fuck with people and say stuff to see how people react. Which is weird because then he seems to not give a shit how people react, so why do it in the first place?

He did a presentation with this graph of a 45 degree line showing how you could profit or fail whilst running a studio or any other type of business. He went on and on for about 45 minutes and kept pointing at this diagonal line. After a while people started laughing because it was obvious he was just fucking with everyone and wasting their time. He kept a straight face and said he was totally serious and wanted us to learn something - we could take it or leave it.

It felt like an Andy Kaufman routine - you just really don't know when to believe this guy, and I think that's the way he likes it.

Saying the stuff he does I think gets him notoriety and also lets his clients know that he doesn't give a shit about their music. He'll record how and whatever you want - it's your music.

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.
Go to Top of Page

freezerburn
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  11:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

He did a presentation with this graph of a 45 degree line showing how you could profit or fail whilst running a studio or any other type of business. He went on and on for about 45 minutes and kept pointing at this diagonal line. After a while people started laughing because it was obvious he was just fucking with everyone and wasting their time. He kept a straight face and said he was totally serious and wanted us to learn something - we could take it or leave it.

oh man. i wish i could have seen that, haha.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  11:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*bump*

True/Slant - Steve Albini vs. Sampling.

slicing up eyeballs - Iain Burgess, recording engineer and key figure in ’80s ‘Chicago sound,’ dies in France.

Edited by - Carl on 02/15/2010 06:39:47
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  17:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad news about Iain Burgess. Thanks to the guy helping to make some of my favorite records.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:43:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been covered ad nauseam, but I was listening to Surfer Rosa, and suddenly had the bright idea to spin Nirvana's In Utero back to back with it. You have to follow the bass/treble settings Nirvana recommends in the liner notes to compensate for DGC's corporate, bass-heavy remix, but Steve Albini's production really shines through as a common denominator. Those booming drums - can't beat em (no pun). Besides being dark and depressing as hell (the whole fucking album is a suicide note), In Utero really sounds like an attempt by Nirvana to make a much heavier, more twisted, metalish version of a Pixies album. It's like the Pixies on a lot of heroine, mixed with molten lead and a fractured psyche. It's plenty well documented that Kurt had a thing for the Pixies, but this one is pretty blatant.

I'll mash your perfect parts.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  01:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

It's plenty well documented that Kurt had a thing for the Pixies, but this one is pretty blatant.

I've read several times that he intenionally avoided Frank at awards shows and passed off the chance to meet him, such was the thing he had for the Pixies and his anxiety at meeting the man behind them.

"I've got my own gas tanks."

Edited by - eroticvultcha on 03/04/2010 01:06:11
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  16:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the pixies were invited to awards shows?

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  23:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently. Sounded funny while typing that though... better double-check exactly what I read!

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  03:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leeds Met - Music maestros on campus.
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:37:31  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is probably covered somewhere else, but from what I read, FB doesn't like Albini because of things Albini said in an interview a few years after Surfer Rosa came out. Basically he said the Pixies were "at their top-dollar best mildly entertaining college rock" and "I've never seen four cows more willing to be led around by their nose rings".

Albini has worked with Kim Deal since then, on a couple of the later Breeders records and, of course, Pod in 1990.

FB, Pixies, Breeders, Belly, record sleeves at my blog, RJ Battles http://rjbattles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  00:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock. Their willingness to be "guided" by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings." was Albinis quote, which he has since apologised for.

Albini is known for being an agent provocateur at best and intentionally controversial.

I my view he has recorded some great records, he has a great technique for recording sound / bands, but ideally should quieten down when commenting on bands and artists. The Pixies were very young at that point and Albini has since gone on record to say that he had not realised the quality of the work which was to come from the band members.

By all accounts he has a hard on for kim as well. I belive he called her the ultimate female rock singer.
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  19:12:25  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanna say that I read somewhere that Albini said Pod was the project he was most proud of or something like that.

I read a couple interviews with him (done within the past ten years) and he seems like a really cool guy, very reasonable and fair. He's opinionated when it comes to bands, sound, record producers, and the music industry but it's all backed up with a lot of knowledge and experience.

FB, Pixies, Breeders, Belly, record sleeves at my blog, RJ Battles http://rjbattles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Groper
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  06:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Albini actually said "I think Kim is the best singer ever." That's from the Fool the World book. He wasn't limiting it to female rock vocalists.

As for their history together, aside from Pod Kim had him record a few tracks for her Amps LP in '95, then did 3 songs in '99 with him where she played all the instruments, for the LP Title TK. A couple years later she recorded the rest of the album with him, too. Then 2 songs for Mountain Battles in 2008, and then a song for the Fate to Fatal EP in 2009. So basically she never stopped working with him since Surfer Rosa.

Also she and her sister are close with Steve & his wife and attended their wedding in Hawaii a couple years ago.

Edited by - Groper on 02/11/2011 06:56:33
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  00:34:16  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe he said both things.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  08:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*bump*

Stereogum - The Top 20 Steve Albini-Recorded Albums 02. Pixies - 'Surfer Rosa' (1988).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000