New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  20:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume everyone's seen this already but I didn't see a thread. from blackfrancis.net tournews...

Black Francis will conclude his west coast tour with an intimate performance in "the Craft" series for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Taking place in San Diego, California on October 17th, Mr. Francis will be performing songs and answering questions in this unique performance.This is where you come in.We've got 40 free tickets to this event and you can claim one for yourself by sending us an email with the answer to the following question:
What's the title of Black Francis' newest album?

Please mail responses to info@blackfrancis.net (be sure to include your full name and a number that you can be reached at).

The Bureau

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  20:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we better make sure someone with a good taping set-up, emphasis on sound quality, gets a ticket.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

mdarnaud
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  22:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, I'm so there! Thank you "The Bureau"!

-Mike
http://www.mikedarnaud.com
Go to Top of Page

sleapman
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  03:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for those who didn't/can't get tix - a friend of mine sent me this link - a chance to meet frank after the show and front row tix....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230178814837
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  16:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so jealous!

Congratulations
from thebureau.us: Thanks to everyone who sent in emails for tickets to see Mr. Thompson at the Craft event. The winners are as follows:

1. Reid Jones
2. Jesse Dysart
3. Jeremy Trout
4. Tony Durazzo
5. John Chambers
6. Joanne Bryant
7. Fred Hanhauser
8. Daphne Bennink
9. Mykell E. Wright
10. Matt Gobeille
11. Ben Kierulff
12. Dave Schile
13. Irma Olivas
14. Jennifer Petty
15. Courtney Barnett
16. Ailina Zada
17. Mark DeGraffenreid
18. Carol Sawaya
19. Bryan Clark
20. Adam Decker
21. Cobb Scott
22. Jeremy Hill
23. Christina Collins
24. Josephine Piarulli
25. Noa Katrin Massari
26. John MacDonald
27. Shira Maltz
28. Raina Socha
29. Colin Russell
30. Thea Quiray Tagle
31. Saul Cervantes
32. Mike d'Arnaud
33. Jessica Levin
34. Christian Moreno
35. Jack Gardner
36. Teresa Gardner
37. Gabe Castillo
38. Mark Dela Cruz
39. R. Shawn Hughes
40. Morgan Lehto

See you there.

We're all obscure fans.- trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

MDGsolo
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  20:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, my name is on the list- how do I get my tickets?

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

so jealous!

Congratulations
from thebureau.us: Thanks to everyone who sent in emails for tickets to see Mr. Thompson at the Craft event. The winners are as follows:

1. Reid Jones
2. Jesse Dysart
3. Jeremy Trout
4. Tony Durazzo
5. John Chambers
6. Joanne Bryant
7. Fred Hanhauser
8. Daphne Bennink
9. Mykell E. Wright
10. Matt Gobeille
11. Ben Kierulff
12. Dave Schile
13. Irma Olivas
14. Jennifer Petty
15. Courtney Barnett
16. Ailina Zada
17. Mark DeGraffenreid
18. Carol Sawaya
19. Bryan Clark
20. Adam Decker
21. Cobb Scott
22. Jeremy Hill
23. Christina Collins
24. Josephine Piarulli
25. Noa Katrin Massari
26. John MacDonald
27. Shira Maltz
28. Raina Socha
29. Colin Russell
30. Thea Quiray Tagle
31. Saul Cervantes
32. Mike d'Arnaud
33. Jessica Levin
34. Christian Moreno
35. Jack Gardner
36. Teresa Gardner
37. Gabe Castillo
38. Mark Dela Cruz
39. R. Shawn Hughes
40. Morgan Lehto

See you there.

We're all obscure fans.- trobrianders

Go to Top of Page

Bernie
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  07:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My name is on the list too, but I have no idea... and is it just 1 ticket? that would be kinda weird.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  13:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floop's goin' too! somebody bring a nice recording set-up. please,please,please.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

MDGsolo
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  17:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie

My name is on the list too, but I have no idea... and is it just 1 ticket? that would be kinda weird.

Yeah, this is weird. There is no contact info on the Black Francis website and I haven't received an email or a phone call or anything...
Go to Top of Page

mdarnaud
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  20:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, same here. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I'm thinking we're on a list at the show...
I'm hyped. It's gonna be rad!

-Mike
http://www.mikedarnaud.com
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  16:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Street.

CONCERT: It's an educational experience

So local rock radio titan FM 94/9 is throwing another
one of its exclusive party concert thingamabobbers this
week, and lucky for you the Street Team keeps at least
one eye open while surfing the 'net.

Black Francis, aka Frank Black, aka founding fatherly
figure of influencing-all-modern-indie band The Pixies,
will be at the Belly Up on Wednesday evening for 94/9's
The Craft. It's basically like that one VH1 show that
might actually be on still where they'd bring like Billy Joel
in and he'd do some singing and playing sure, but he'd
also up the stage banter and delve into a kind of
ruminative musing on his thematical approach to, say,
"We Didn't Start the Fire."

The Craft is kinda like that.

They had Jim James a couple months ago. You have to sign up to join the emailing list and
enter a contest or something fun and participatory, and then you get to go to the show.
Neither of these guys is Billy Joel, but supposedly this is OK.

Info: FM 94/9's Craft

Posted by Kyle Proehl on October 15, 2007 12:59 PM | Permalink

Edited by - Carl on 10/16/2007 16:09:01
Go to Top of Page

MDGsolo
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  20:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I won't be there even though my name is "on the list". Bummer- but I'm not flying from Oregon to So. Cal just in hopes that my name is actually on a piece of paper at the door, and I can't seem to get any answers about ticket (or tickets) from the powers that be. Pity I finally <maybe> win something I could actually have really enjoyed only to not be able to collect the prize or find anthing out about it. Something tells me MGD won't be the drink of choice at my pity party...

boo hoo
Go to Top of Page

bajacondor
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  11:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant wait to see this show. I hope theres a list there. I guess I'll try to go a little early.
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  13:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI-
I got a response from the web site that they are going to call out names from the list, like a roll call, and that each person on the list only gets one ticket.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  08:44:21  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MDGsolo

Well, I won't be there even though my name is "on the list". Bummer- but I'm not flying from Oregon to So. Cal just in hopes that my name is actually on a piece of paper at the door, and I can't seem to get any answers about ticket (or tickets) from the powers that be. Pity I finally <maybe> win something I could actually have really enjoyed only to not be able to collect the prize or find anthing out about it. Something tells me MGD won't be the drink of choice at my pity party...

boo hoo

So were you entering just to get a ticket that you weren't going to use?
Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  09:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the show ever happen? How was it?
Go to Top of Page

bajacondor
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool show. Lots of talking. Did about 6 songs by himself, all with the electric. He had the acoustic up there, and looked like he was gonna grab it a couple times, but decided otherwise. This was definitely not 'part of the tour' but a separate gig that happened to be at the end of the tour and in the area the tour ended. Pretty convenient. I'm really glad I caught the Oct. 1 show in PDX, and didn't go to this one thinking it would be part of the Bluefinger Tour.
Also, Miller gave everybody 2 free MGD's (the worst beer ever made)
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what songs did he play

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

bajacondor
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  11:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knew you'd ask. It's amazing how quickly I'll forget a set list. All's I remember:
Cactus
She Took All The Money
I Burn Today
Where is My Mind

Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  11:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you learn anything about The Craft?
Go to Top of Page

RockWriter
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  12:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's last night's set list:

Cactus
Los Angeles
She Took All the Money
Wave of Mutilation
I Burn Today
Massif Central
Where is My Mind?
Headache

Warren Zanes (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Boston's Del Fuegos) started out by noting that when the Pixies hit the Boston scene in the 80s, they immediately made his band "totally irrelevant." Then Francis took the stage, they toasted, and sat down to talk.

Some quotes/musings
On Bowie covering his song:
"Bowie's really good at covering songs that are good for him... I'm really dumb about covering other people's songs"

Then he talked about how the first song he ever wrote was a long "Homer-esque" song about the Beatles, and which was also the first song where he wrote the words first and later the music. He now does it the other way around.

When he was young and learning how to sing and play, he laughingly noted that a guitar teacher once told him, "Sing it like you hate that bitch!"

"Los Angeles" is loosely rooted in Jethro Tull because at the time he was a huge Tull fan.

Warren Zanes (asking him about leaving the Pixies to do his first solo album): Why are bands worth the trouble?
Black Francis: I dunno.

WZ: What's the status of another Pixies record?
BF: "I talked to Joey (Santiago) a couple weeks ago... he said, "Why don't you send me something?" That's as far as it's gone. Who's that band that hired the therapist? ("Metallica.") Yeah, we need that therapist."

On George Harrison's "Savoy Truffle"
"I get sucked into the attitude of the performer. [George Harrison] sings with a relaxed cockiness."

WZ: 95 percent of songs are love songs. A lot of your catalog is not made up of relationship songs.
BF: Sometimes you want to be in your own little world. Then along comes Roy Orbison...

WZ (reading an audience question): Why does "St. Francis Dam Disaster" always make me cry?
FB: I dunno. You're in a better position to answer that. Some songs are sad. I remember driving once and hearing "Surfing Bird," by The Trashmen, and crying. I dunno, it was just beautiful and it made me cry.

WZ then asked how he came about his inspiration to record an album about Herman Brood (his new album "Bluefinger") and FB replied that he had heard the stories before and had always had a mental note to read up on Brood someday. He said he might have even been in Amsterdam on the day that Brood jumped off the roof of a hotel and killed himself. He went back and read all about him and "the more I found out about him, the more in love with him I became."

WZ: What gets you writing?
FB: Sleep deprivation. And deadlines.

WZ (referring to FB's four children): Would you rather do the Partridge Family thing or be on the road less?
FB: The Partridge Family thing. I'm into that.

FB (on the difference between European audiences and American audiences): American audiences are never going to have the kind of worshipful attitude as European audiences." He was saying that here in the US we're drenched in rock and roll- it's all over the place. Europeans don't have the same exposure to it that we do and are very appreciative of the opportunity to see rock acts live.

WZ (reading an audience question): What's a crazy road story from your time with the Pixies?
FB (after a long pause where he comes up blank): I dunno. I saw David Bowie push a peanut across the floor with his nose."

WZ (reading an audience question): If you could have any other job, what would it be?
FB: I like breaking boxes. I'd be good in some warehouse, breaking up the boxes.

Those are most of my notes from last night. Hope you enjoy them!
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  13:35:08  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow...those are some fantastic notes...
thanks for the "transcript"....

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

MDGsolo
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  16:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

quote:
Originally posted by MDGsolo

boo hoo

So were you entering just to get a ticket that you weren't going to use?

Wow- I thought I was clear...

Seeing your name on a list on a secondary non official fan forum website does not constitute a guarantee that traveling several thousand miles, dropping a thousand dollars for travel and lodging, and taking two days out of your life in hopes of getting into a show that you may or may not have won makes any kind of sense. Had I received some kind of confirmation that I had in fact won a ticket and how many, how to pick it/them up, etc. I probably would have been there and had arranged my week as such.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  19:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks RockWriter! Yeah, I remember an interview where he talked about that Beatles-inspired song!

"In six months, she'll look like Grandma Moses!"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  20:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i couldn't go due to work difficulties. sounds lame, but that's the way it is

sorry Frank. i hope the other 25 shows i've been to will make up for it
Go to Top of Page

bajacondor
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  09:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey RockWriter,
Do you remember the second record they played... What was that song? Cant remember.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

RockWriter
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  10:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bajacondor

Hey RockWriter,
Do you remember the second record they played... What was that song? Cant remember.

Thanks.

It was "Roll Away the Stone." I was a bit confused because it's a Mott The Hoople song, but when someone from the audience said it was them, Zanes said they were wrong. So I'm not sure what version it was, but that was the second song.
Go to Top of Page

bajacondor
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  11:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, right. That was Leon Russell. MTH also has a song of the same name. Totally different song though. That guy that yelled out Mott The Hoople was funny when he goes "AWWWWWW"
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  22:23:12  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
grr.. i wish i had known about this before right now. i'd'a gone and taped it. serves me right for not frequenting the forum much these days. :(

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  16:21:40  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RockWriter
WZ (reading an audience question): Why does "St. Francis Dam Disaster" always make me cry?
FB: I dunno. You're in a better position to answer that. Some songs are sad. I remember driving once and hearing "Surfing Bird," by The Trashmen, and crying. I dunno, it was just beautiful and it made me cry.

Charles is a funny dude. But I bet no one listening got the joke.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000