Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncut.co.uk.

UNCUT'S 50 BEST GIGS -
EXTRA!

Pixies

Exclusive to Uncut.co.uk - more gigs -
Today: Pixies and Throwing Muses

In this month's UNCUT, our writers, friends and favourite
musicians reminisce about their favourite gigs.

The October issue, onsale now, features our best 50 -
including Jimi, U2, The Band and Oasis - with rare photos
from the shows too.

Now here’s some more – we'll publish one everyday this month - including online exclusives on gigs by The Stone
Roses
, Pixies and the Beach Boys, andStereophonics’
Kelly Jones
and Babyshambles’ Adam Ficek's favourite
live memories too.

---

THROWING MUSES & PIXIES
RAT CLUB, BOSTON
December 6, 1986

CHRIS ROBERTS:

So just two journalists fly to Boston with 4AD head Ivo Watts-Russell, who is signing this strange
heavy metal band because his girlfriend likes them. Honestly, compared to the more typical 4AD fare
of the classic era - lovely, floaty, ethereal stuff made by men in black and skinny women in long white
frocks - Pixies’ early tapes (that’s cassettes) sounded very heavy. The signing seemed incongruous.
Really, I’m going to see Throwing Muses, who they’ll be supporting, because they’ve been our press
darlings that year, their extraordinary debut a turbo-charged Horses with a dash of Plath. But we’ll do
our duty and humour Ivo by checking out the warm-up act. Thus making us the first hacks in the world
to see them.

Boston is a lovely city but the Rat Club (actually the Rathskeller Club, a fact which rock mythology has
long since erased) is a toilet. Pixies come on. They are: Charles Thompson (soon Black Francis), an
Iggy fan who’s spent months broke in Puerto Rico studying Spanish and writing vivid lyrics; Joey
Santiago
, his room-mate, who’s rifled through the dictionary and plumped for “pixies” because it says
“mischievous little elves”, and Mrs. John Murphy (soon Kim Deal), who’s answered an ad, bringing her
drummer friend David Lovering. They’re not heavy metal. They play brilliantly structured, dynamic
songs about religion, sex, incest and outer space. They roar.

This is where I claim kudos for “discovering” them, right? Truth is I thought they were really strong,
and wrote so, but maintained that the Muses were the more interesting, literate band. The fuse was lit,
though; an avalanche ensued. Pixies were such great company (“What are you doing next, Kim?” “First
I’m going to piss like a racehorse, then I’m going to dance like a black woman”) that I worried my
verbiage was over-generous. I thought they were the second best band on a quality night, I didn’t
realise they were going to alter the pulse and shape of rock music forever.

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  13:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They deserve it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page