Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  08:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the new shows list him now as black francis. It seems to be official.
In the elevator video he says he never was anyone else than black francis.

On the album's sticker is is written: "Hold onto your universe... Frank Black is dead and Black Francis is back."

I enjoy Black Francis a lot. When i first saw him this summer he became the ultimate performer for me. But I loved Frank Black for more than 10 years now... and I love his country songs.

So I am expecting in a not too distant future a new Black Francis album and a new Frank Black one to be released the same day.
That would be a good compromise, would'nt it?

++++

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  08:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bah. Even if he released his music as Alsthamanibus Shahallabal the Great, it would still be his music.

Maybe a few years from now the reviews will read "Why doesn't he do country songs anymore? The screaming is really getting old."

Awesome! I fuckin' shot this!
"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  09:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe a few years from now the reviews will read "Why doesn't he do country songs anymore? The screaming is really getting old."

hahaha
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  11:47:47  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm probably lame in saying this, but these two words "Frank Black" mean so much to me. The man in his own right, away from the Pixies like they never existed. Aslong as he keeps releasing music I'm not bothered about a name, but still, "Frank Black" will always be my favourite.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  14:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for Black Francis & The Catholics!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  14:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV and the Muslims.

It has a certain ring, doesn't it?

"How do you like that, Sir Harold?"
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  17:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice sig, biscuit.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  18:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charles thompson's fourths

it could be his do-wop phase where he travels to Detroit and gets a slew of Motown's greats together.

maybe some harmonies with kid rock and eminem just for gags.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  08:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we gonna have to change the forum name to bf.net?

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  20:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the man has swapped up that particular domain. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  10:41:45  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

charles thompson's fourths

it could be his do-wop phase where he travels to Detroit and gets a slew of Motown's greats together.

Hilarious. Wouldn't surprise me if he did it.
Go to Top of Page

debaserrr
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  13:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just started getting into the habbit of saying "i love frank black!" and now i have to switch to Black franics

"The arc of triumph!"
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the Bloodhound Gang song... I'm not black like Barry White but I'm white like Frank Black is. He's going to have to change that and release the song, and call me crazy, but it aint' gonna sound as good.

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ug... the tatoo corrections are costing too much.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  13:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tumor on your bicep is going to cost a lot more to deal with.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  15:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And at least you don't have Charles Michael Kitterage Thompson IV circling your arm!

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  16:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

The tumor on your bicep is going to cost a lot more to deal with.

who said anything about a bicep, looks more like a bent cock to me.

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
- Richard Dawkins
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  19:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DrWorm

What about the Bloodhound Gang song... I'm not black like Barry White but I'm white like Frank Black is. He's going to have to change that and release the song, and call me crazy, but it aint' gonna sound as good.

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"

well the lyric is actually:

i'm not black like barry white is
but i am white like frank black is

so,

i'm not black like barry white is
but i am white like black francis

is ok, imo

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  06:58:33  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do hope he goes back to being Frank Black for his next release, but "Black Francis" was the original, and it has a mythical sound to it that the reversed version lacks.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  18:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me who thinks the name has a lot of influence when it comes to reviews?

I've often thought that if Blue Finger was released under the name 'Frank Black' music journalists would claim it was 'a desperate attempt at creating a Pixies album', or something along those lines.

But because it's 'Black Francis' he's suddenly 'back to his screaming best' and the like. I think he gets compared to his former self far too often and it shows in reviews of his solo albums.

Just a thought.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  09:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because he has reverted to Black Francis, I think a lot of reviewers are expecting a kind of surrogate Pixies album, and although in some ways it's the closet to Pixies Black has sounded in years, it's a bit unfair to assume it's going to be an unofficial 6th Pixies release. The reviews, although decent, have generally sounded disappointed, which i think is a pity. I've only listened (several times!) to the leak so far, but surely there can't be that much difference with the official release, and I honestly think it's going to remembered as a little gem!

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

quadrophenic
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  17:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really care what his name is...but I dig "Honeycomb" and "Fast Man Raider Man" the most out of all of his records, and I hope he returns to that style sooner or later. "BlueFinger" is great, but his best stuff will always be his Americana stuff, to me.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  04:59:46  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess it says something about me that I prefer his nerdier stuff, which encompasses both names to an extent. Bossanova through Cult of Ray is more or less my favorite phase of his work, although there's plenty of love in the earlier and later periods as well.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  07:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so confused! The Borders website lists it as "Black Francis" but when I used their computer at the store it said "Frank Black" and I couldn't find it under either name, even tho it said "likely in store". He shoulda stuck with "fb" it sounds better imo.

"How do you like that, Sir Harold?"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  11:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thing is, although I like 'Bluefinger' a lot, I've never thought of it as being the 'surrogate Pixies album' that some, namely lazy reviewers, seem to think.

It's just a collection of songs, really, with a very loose theme.

Go to Top of Page

quadrophenic
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  13:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand why people are saying that, though. The guy reunties with the Pixies after years of tension. The tour goes well. The Pixies DON'T go back into the studio. He renames himself "Black Francis" anyway and writes a record with, by far, the most Pixies-ish stuff we've heard from the man in years--including some very Kim Deal-esque background vocals. I can see where some people (y'know...dumb people) might think this was "supposed" to be a Pixies record.

Of course, even if FB/BF was writing for the Pixies when he started this thing (which seems like a BIG if), the songs almost certainly would've ended up FAR different coming from the Pixies than from the man himself.
Go to Top of Page

raasclaat
- FB Fan -

Australia
62 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  20:16:30  Show Profile  Click to see raasclaat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am with Joey. Frank Black means more than Black Francis to me.

Ive said it before, I would rather see Frank Black play live once than see the Pixies 50 or 100 times.
Frank's music (and his name fbc !), especially his country stuff means way more to me. I actually can't listen to the Pixies and Franks really early albums anymore. As great as they are, I find myself pressing 'Next' on the ipod and hoping for some FMRM/Honeycomb/Bluefinger.
Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  22:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell, why not try something different. I am interested in what Black Francis is going to do.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  17:31:42  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ive said it before, I would rather see Frank Black play live once than see the Pixies 50 or 100 times.

I saw Frank with the Catholics once, and the Pixies twice. I have to say that the Pixies shows seemed totally rehearsed, and more of a nostalgia thing than anything else. The Catholics show was more spontaneous and interesting. So yeah, I'd rather see Frank live, but I would imagine that Black Francis shows will be more like Catholics shows than Pixies ones.

Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  20:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a question.

I've not browsed this site/forum like I used to a few moons ago. Glad to see the guy put out more music! I just ordered bluefingers/christmass off amazon. Hope I'm pleased, but I'm sure I will be.

So to my question, will this site continue to follow "Black Francis" with the same tenacity? And also, will the tabs for BF stuff continue to be posted here? Playing along to proverb c's tabs for Mr. Black's songs is one of my favorite leisure activities.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  22:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as fbc is still using this forum, there will be tabs available for Frank Black's (Black Francis') music.

Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  08:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for being so obvious, but there is a clear pattern here, a series of evolutionary steps.

There were the Pixies of course... then the first solo phase (FB, TOTY, Ray)... the second phase, with the Catholics (FBC through SMYT)... the Nashville records... and now we're on to a new phase, or a new period of exploration or whatever.

Like treetime and many others have said, I'm more than happy to follow along on this journey. Whatever the man calls himself, each new album is provocative and clever and interesting and challenging and different from the last, always great and sometimes utterly brilliant. He continues to surprise and delight. He makes great freakin' records. What more could we ask?
Go to Top of Page

quadrophenic
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  18:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like $50.

I doubt that Charles will write me a check...but I WOULD like to ask for that. :)

(Sorry...I'm kind of an ass.)
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  21:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like the best thread to post these two things which occurred to me in the wake of the Portland shows this week.

1. As much as I love this Bluefinger/Pixies jag, I was thinking what a shame it would be if I never again had a chance to hear Frank Black songs live. After all the times I've heard, say, Los Angeles, Six Sixty-Six, Bullet over the years... never again? That's a bitter pill.

But then, I never thought I'd hear FB play a Pixies song, since he seemed so stubborn about it... and then BOOM I was hearing the first bars of 'Where is My Mind' (I think that was the first Pixies song I heard him play) and realized the wall had come down. So, never say never.

2. I guess Christmass tracks are exempt from the 'no FB songs' mandate. Gyaneshwar, The Water and Dead Man's Curve in these Portland sets. Maybe he considers them separate from his Frank Black body of work, since he was already moving away from Nashville and leaving FB behind? Any thoughts on why he would choose these Christmass/2006 songs to accompany Bluefinger, and not more songs from the Pixies vault?

Just idle thoughts as I bask in the afterglow of these terrific shows and, as always, start wondering what will be in store the next time I see Charles in concert...
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  22:51:57  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked it when he called himself Frank Black Francis. I don't think we'll ever hear that name again.
Go to Top of Page

heile
- FB Fan -

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  23:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate in the PDX

Seems like the best thread to post these two things which occurred to me in the wake of the Portland shows this week.

1. As much as I love this Bluefinger/Pixies jag, I was thinking what a shame it would be if I never again had a chance to hear Frank Black songs live. After all the times I've heard, say, Los Angeles, Six Sixty-Six, Bullet over the years... never again? That's a bitter pill.

But then, I never thought I'd hear FB play a Pixies song, since he seemed so stubborn about it... and then BOOM I was hearing the first bars of 'Where is My Mind' (I think that was the first Pixies song I heard him play) and realized the wall had come down. So, never say never.

2. I guess Christmass tracks are exempt from the 'no FB songs' mandate. Gyaneshwar, The Water and Dead Man's Curve in these Portland sets. Maybe he considers them separate from his Frank Black body of work, since he was already moving away from Nashville and leaving FB behind? Any thoughts on why he would choose these Christmass/2006 songs to accompany Bluefinger, and not more songs from the Pixies vault?

Just idle thoughts as I bask in the afterglow of these terrific shows and, as always, start wondering what will be in store the next time I see Charles in concert...

In the booklet for christmass it lists those as Black Francis songs....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000