New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  02:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be of interest, it is Steve Albini (forum name ‘Electrical’) posting on a poker players forum answering music and recording related questions. Here is the link:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=11034555&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

There are a few Pixies and Breeders references in there and lots of other interesting stuff as well.

I am not sure that the thread is still alive, but Albini states in one of his replies the following:

Here's what will get nowhere with me:

1) Music fan dorks signing up with new accounts and disparaging regular participants in this forum. They are here and contributing on a regular basis, and you are a guest. If a guest is an ass, he will either be ignored or insulted.

2) Asking me here (or in private messages) to go to your web page or Myspace page and listen to your music. I have made it clear that I do not care what kind of music you (any of you) make. If it interests me, I will discover it on my own, and if it doesn't, it would not prevent me from working on such a record if asked to. If I happen to like your band's music, there isn't anything I can do to help further your career anyway, so my liking it or not is of no importance.

3) Asking questions that are simple to ask but impossibly complex to answer completely, e.g. "How do I make my recordings sound good," "What should I do to improve my home studio," "What do you think of [x] kind of music," "Tell me some good stories."

That is all.

So with that in mind you know what will piss him off if you intend to post.

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  05:30:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He seems like an impossible person to deal with. In public anyway.
I'm sure he's nice personally, I mean, he must be nice to someone.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  06:09:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that link though, I have been reading his posts for an hour now

Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  06:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Thanks for posting that link though, I have been reading his posts for an hour now

My pleasure.

Regardless of what people think of him, its still an interesting read.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  09:45:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
exactly, he seems a very nice person on that forum. Based on what you've posted before
and all the crap he said about the Pixies, I thought he was a jackass. My opinion isn't worth anything, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  10:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new issue of Uncut talks to Albini about the records he's produced. I was flicking through it in a shop, he says he heard a demo of Pixies and though it was good, that Kim sounded like a dirtier Doris Day! He says he wasn't impressed by them live. He's softened up a bit about Surfer in recent years, but he still sounds a alittle dismissive.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

In this thread he is extremely complimentary to Kim Deal as a singer and also rates his work on 'Pod' and "Title TK' as being amongst his best. However, he also gives off the impression that he is a tad bored with talking about Surfer Rosa and the Pixies again and again.

Thanks for the tip about Uncut - I will get a copy when I am in the UK this month.

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  20:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i spent my entire day off reading that thread.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  14:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted on PixiesMusic (thanks to marxz!):

triple j radio.

triple j: Producer Series: Steve Albini

21 August 2007, 15:00:00

It would be difficult to find a man more willing to put his money where his mouth is, than Steve Albini. The man is an idealogical
purist when it comes to the act of creating, recording and releasing music. His focus is on the band, his aim is on facilitation
and his mind is on the job. Being himself a musician for many years in bands Rapeman and Shellac, Albini has a musicians
perspective but with a producers skill. He does not like to be called a producer, he rarely collects royalties and he charges
according to what each band can afford. Whilst he'd already worked with The Pixies, The Breeders and PJ Harvey, his name
became broadly well known in 1993 through his work on Nirvana's In Utero. Steve is famous for recording bands 'live' in the
studio - this means having the band set up as they would normally play and performing together in order to record the band as
they most truly sound. His role is to figure out the best way in which to harness a bands unique qualities, leaving as little
impact of himself on the project as possible. Albini captures sound in the best possible way as opposed to manipulating later.
Hear how Kurt Cobain won him over, discover his true feelings on The Pixies from the horses mouth and find out what he
thought of being cooped up in a studio with Joanna Newsom.

producer_albini.mp3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000