New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wanderer1
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  16:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was wondering who this song was about.

Sorry for the newbie question, still catching up on my Frank Black solo back history.

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2001 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  18:01:08  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My guess is that it's about a tv interviewer who must have pissed off Frank.
Just a wild guess though.
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read somwhere that it was about Kim, can't remember where though.

No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God George Bush snr
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  03:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that was just a theory, I don't think we actually know one way or the other...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  03:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I read it recently...where Frank actually said it. I'm looking for the interview just now, it may have been one of the recent press release things from cooking vinyl.

No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God George Bush snr
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  03:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, see here:

Frank Black 93 - 03 Album by Album

see the Cult of Ray section...though it's not quite as clear cut as being about Kim

quote:
I really like You Ain’t Me – the inspiration was, frankly, probably a little bit about a former band member [laughs] … I write it around the time of her big hit [The Breeders’ Cannonball] maybe I was feeling quite cult-ish – no pun intended. It was a combination of being in a more cult-ish place and growing weary of the music business and all the hands I had to shake. Not that I had to compromise the music, but starting with the Pixies there were all these worries about getting to the next level of success, trying to make expensive videos: ‘You gotta get on MTV, you gotta get on the radio’ … I never got into the business for that.
“All that stuff started to bum me out, so Cult Of Ray is me not trying to speak to an audience at all. It’s very internal – ‘I’m just going to make a record and take as long as I want, I’m going to spend as much money as I want and be as unprepared as I want, I’m going to produce myself and do it all how I want to do it.’ So You Ain’t Me was a kind of an ‘I’m not what you want me to be’ song, even if it’s quite cryptic.

Edited by - Llamadance on 06/26/2007 03:22:16
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11682 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  04:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, nicely done. That and probably a lot of other exerpts from that release deserve spots in the Discopedia. Not to mention the Best Of itself. So much work, so little time.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  09:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny, never would have thought KIm would figure in there (however tenuously), I always thought it was specifically aimed at Journalists.

"Aw yeah, that's the good stuff!"
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  08:45:41  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This makes "old black eyed manniquen" sound really harsh now! But I can definitely understand how he must've been feeling around that time, cause I was thinking the same thing! She cashes in on his sonic legacy and he releases one of the best rock albums in modern music and it gets very little notice comparitively.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6030 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  10:56:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, Kim had to take a lot of crap from Frank as well.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's directed at anyone who ain't him!
Go to Top of Page

LowFatAlbob
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  22:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"you aint me" might have been spurned on by "I just wanna get along" by the breeders, where kim, thru kelley, took a couple of potshot at charles.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  23:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Deals have claimed that "I Just Wanna Get Along" was written by Kelley about a traffic ticket.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000