Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  12:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this guy is my new idol. i thought i took tacos seriously. which i do. but this guy has taken things to a new level..

for those of you in the LA area you should check this out. it's pretty dope

http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  14:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
goddamn, I love tacos. I've never wanted one more than I do at this very moment.

The fast food taco kind of reminds me of this dude -
http://www.thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm
who takes pictures of fast food and compares it with the advertisment

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  17:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a burrito guy, but this guy is pure gold. And he's right about the joy of having the cooks of your favorite taqueria knowing you and your order.
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  18:16:52  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These sites provided me with endless entertainment, and I thank you both.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  18:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey floop, have you been to this one? El Parian: paraíso asada a la parrilla

it's the only one he's given 5/5
I was wondering if you could mail me a couple. Have you been to any of the 4.5s?

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  21:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a guy that comes by my work every day and sells homemade burritos to us every morning out of his van: Desebrada (brisket), steak, ground beef w/potato and green chiles (my usual order), frijoles y queso (some white mexican cheese), huevos a la mexicana (eggs with some chiles,maybe parts of tomato, other spices), some pork ones. Delicious. He has tiny plastic bags of green and red sauce and you bite off a tiny corner of the bag and squirt the sauce on each bite. It's so good, but his wife went back to Mexico for a month in May and hasn't returned yet and I'm having serious withdrawals.

Great site Floop.

Oh, did have 3 tacos de fajitas tonite from Taco Cabana which are decent for a chain, espeically when you doctor them with the right mixture of sauce and pico de gallo.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  05:23:22  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy crap - those burritos sound excellent. Huevos a la mexicana would be a real winner this morning. Instead, I had oatmeal. Bleh. Roanoke, VA does not seem to have the variety of tacos and burritos that Dallas or LA does.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  09:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Black Francis

hey floop, have you been to this one? El Parian: paraíso asada a la parrilla

it's the only one he's given 5/5
I was wondering if you could mail me a couple. Have you been to any of the 4.5s?

funny you should say that, but i'm thinking of checking it out today (not working today). i like how he's very stringent with his ratings. he's not going to give just anything a 5 out of 5. i loved reading his review of the overrated Howdy's Tacos (near where i used to work): http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2007/03/howdys-taqueria.html i'll have to send that to some of my co-workers who always want to go there.

there is one other 5 out of 5 though if you look down. it's an illegal nighttime taco truck, with no name. just the address where it parks. maybe i'll check that one out tonight (and bring my switchblade)

i'm proud that my local taco stand gets a 4 out of 5. this is my favorite place to go lately: http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/04/yucas.html

the best tacos i've had in LA so far are at this place http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/07/la-taquiza.html i almost think it should have gotten a 4.5 / 5 but then, i haven't tried many of the places listed.

i can't wait to check some of these out.

lbf, if you ever come to LA i'll buy you a taco (and then kick your ass at some golf)

Edited by - floop on 06/18/2007 09:15:41
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  09:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna check a flight for LA right now...
I've never been in the US or Mexico and neve ate anything close to a real taco, but I'm sure the shit that call itself Tex-Mex restaurants here are nothing like these taquerias.

"un jour tu connaitra cette detresse de pres ou de loin, je peux te le jurer" - Ofabsis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  09:32:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This site is de puta madre. Now I'm craving for tacos. remig, all Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants in Paris are crap, except Anahuacalli in the Vth but it's not a taqueria. Their cochinita pibil is great.

Anyway... how did you all answer the poll abuot taco fillings? I'd have to say my fave is suadero, then pastor, then cecina (but it's not on the list for some reason).

My mother in law came to France last month and brought tortillas, which we froze. It's hard to find the right meat though and it's virtually imopssible to get chiles here, so most of the time we cook alambre or achiote. My wife did cochinita pibil the other day and it tasted great, despite the lack of habanero.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  09:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted carne asada. I'm a bit of pussy with taco filling. No cabeza, lengua, or buche (I had to look that one up), thanks.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  10:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i voted carne asada too, but because that's my favorite. al pastor is slowly threatening to replace that, but in my heart of hearts, carne asada is the ultimate. i had brain tacos once (when i was drunk). and i've had tongue. that's fun to try and all, but i don't see how anyone could prefer those over asada or al pastor.

anyway, it's looking like i'm definitely going to check out El Parian today, so i'll try and give a Bandini style review later..
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  11:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good resource. I stopped eating wheat last year so I am no longer a burrito guy and always in search of taco info.

I am familiar with many of the La Estrella locations and was glad to see the author agrees with me on them. He needs to try their carne asada. Their secret is that they catch all the fat melting off the beef and pour it back onto the pile of meat. Very little flavor is lost.

Dingleberry.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  12:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

I am familiar with many of the La Estrella locations and was glad to see the author agrees with me on them. He needs to try their carne asada. Their secret is that they catch all the fat melting off the beef and pour it back onto the pile of meat. Very little flavor is lost.

Dingleberry.

And some people want to close the border?

Seriously, I moved to California when I was 17 and have been back and forth cross the US since then with most of my time in California. There's many things to love about California, but #1 on the list is Mexican food. When we lived in Connecticut we were actually excited when a Taco Bell was opening. Taco Bell!!?! It sucks, but there was nothing else (the Italian food rocks, but NO Mexican). Then in Michigan there was one taqueria near us and I could order something approximating what I like, but it was salty as hell. Still we went maybe once a month. Now that I'm back in Northern Cal, it's Mexican food as often as possible. Thankfully my kids love it too.

So, I don't care what the moral, political, and economic effects of illegal immigration are. Open those borders and let's get decent taquerias across this country.

Edited by - darwin on 06/18/2007 12:35:36
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  15:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can't get over how cool this site is. hey BLT, do you remember me telling you about some place in North Hollywood where the guy offered me a shot of tequila at lunchtime? (even though they don't serve any alcohol / have a liquor liscense)..

this is the place. I couldn't remember the name.. http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/07/fiesta-taco.html you should check it out.

i pretty much feel the same way as darwin about Mexican food. being born and raised in So Cal i kind of took it for granted, until i lived elsewhere for a while. we're pretty spoiled when it comes to Mexican
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

this is the place. I couldn't remember the name.. http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/07/fiesta-taco.html you should check it out.

I went there once (before you suggested), had a burrito, and never went back. I don't think the proprietors were even Mexican.

Dingleberry.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to El Parian.

i'd say it lives up to the review. the carne asada was insane. huge thinly sliced strips of freshly grilled steak, a little crispy on the outside super juicy inside.

the thing about this place.. i didn't know the tacos would be so huge. they were $2.25, which is high, but i figured they'd be worth it after the review so i ordered 5. 2 would have been plenty. they're almost like burrito sized tacos. this mexican woman came up to us and asked if it was our first time there (everyone in this place was Mexican by the way. we were the only whiteys). she said that her husband noticed us and he hwas amazed that i ordered so much, "dude ordered like 5 tacos".. i looked over at the table and this huge Mexican biker kind of guy with tattoos smiled and gave me the thumbs up. i told her those were just a warm up and to tell her pussy husband i'd challenge him to an eat-off any day of the week. just kidding. seriously, i could only finish 3. we were struck by how friendly the place was. this old man sitting by himself started talking to me about Mexico vs. US soccer. i don't know anything about soccer so i just kind of nodded and was like, "yeah, totally" and then i said i thought Mexico would win cuz i figured that would be the polite thing to say, especially when i'm surrounded by Mexicans.

anyway, i'll definitely be heading back there. my only criticism was that the salsa they provided was not spicy enough for my tastes. but then, i have a high threshold. i'm sure if i had thought of it i could have asked for some sliced jalapenos or something. that would complete the meal..

anyway, behold:

if you look closely at the menu in the bottom corner it says "We reserve the right to serve beer to anyone". I'm sure that's not what they meant, which makes it even more awesome

Edited by - floop on 06/18/2007 16:18:01
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
I don't think the proprietors were even Mexican.

can't be the same place then. or maybe there are new owners? when i was going there there was not a gringo to be found behind the counter
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 that's hilarious. That's a big pile of cilantro to go with your big pile of tacos.

I was inspired to have tacos for lunch (no pictures). The student run restaurant (a 3 minute walk from my office) serves steak tacos. Nothing particularly authentic about it, but organic tomatoes, grilled steak (the only choices are beef, chicken, and black or refried beans), and a pair of corn tortilla with cheese melted between them. Not bad for $2.25 each and so close by.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's awesome. Did you feel wierd busting out the camera in front of everyone?

I also wanted to ask you about Coke. The taco hunter often writes about the coke and how it goes well the meal. Do you get coke ever or beer or other?

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How wild. In the SF Bay Area, you can throw a rock and hit a taqueria, but I don't recall ever seeing a taco truck. Now I'll keep my eyes peeled. That's one thing I'll definitely miss when I move back to the east coast - no taquerias.

Which is weird. Mexicans have migrated all over the country, but it seems like you can only get good Mexican food in CA or the southwest...

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  16:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
I don't think the proprietors were even Mexican.

can't be the same place then. or maybe there are new owners? when i was going there there was not a gringo to be found behind the counter

Maybe not the same place because this place is in Burbank, not NoHo.

Speaking of Burblank, he hasn't reviewed Casitas al Carbon, which has some of the best carne asada around.

Dingleberry.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  17:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also wanted to ask you about Coke. The taco hunter often writes about the coke and how it goes well the meal. Do you get coke ever or beer or other?

heh. i asked the tortilla lady if i could take her picture. i felt sort of akward asking, but hey, i was worth it.

i usually get coke with tacos, but then i also like horchata too (the mexican rice drink). horchata really hits the spot with tacos. but then, so does a beer:

today i had multiple coronas with my tacos. i'm on vacation

Edited by - floop on 06/18/2007 18:10:44
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Speaking of Burblank, he hasn't reviewed Casitas al Carbon, which has some of the best carne asada around.

Dingleberry.

i agree. yeah, we should submit a request. i miss going to Casitas when i was working over there
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  19:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know if the Great Taco Hunt guy talks about it (probably does), but at some Mexican restaurants you can get Cokes bottled in Mexico, where they still use sugar rather than corn syrup.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  00:20:10  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen the guy writing about Orange Crush and how well it goes with tacos. I have to agree with that. If there's no beer available I'd go for an Orange Crush or a Fresca.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  00:24:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So really, no one likes suadero?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  00:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the comments on several of the reviews there are these vegetarians who say shit like "when I used to consume flesh 15 years ago I remember their tacos were the best" Shut the fuck up. No one gives a fuck what a vegetarian has to say about carne asada or whatever. Pretentious fucks. There's not enough lettuce in the world to stuff in their faces so they'll shut up. You're a vegetarian, cool. But stay the fuck out of it, no one cares about you and you look like an asshole.

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  03:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found this: http://labynocle.free.fr/kebab/

Not as good writer than Bandini but informative.

"un jour tu connaitra cette detresse de pres ou de loin, je peux te le jurer" - Ofabsis
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  03:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you guys eat out for every meal?

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  03:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:

I don't know if the Great Taco Hunt guy talks about it (probably does), but at some Mexican restaurants you can get Cokes bottled in Mexico, where they still use sugar rather than corn syrup.

Last saturday there was a guy from Indiana at a friend's party, he told us that our coke in France was better because of real sugar.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  05:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it's funny they give their homeland the raw deal

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  06:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm travelling through Japan right now. the tacos are.. interesting

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  09:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teriyaki taco?
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  11:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like they might be tough to eat with chopsticks

floccinaucinihilipilification
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  22:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didn't think Kobayashi would have opted for hot-dogs for no reason
(and that's on topic with the flocci sig even)

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000