New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  08:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didn't go this concert since it is a 3 day festival with 50,000 people and dozens of other bands (marylin manson, smashing pumpjkins, pearl jam,...). and FB on such a festival is like serving a delicate 5-course french meal in mc donalds. i had this experience with the pixies 3 years ago, and i said never again. and reading a review of the festival, i was totally right: the reviewer wrote he was the musical highlight of the evening (which i can imagine), but he got booed of by the audience (thousands of drunken teenagers who weren't even born ehen the pixies broke up and who were waiting for bands of which i don't even remember the name). the audience gave him the middle finger (literally, not a phrase by me). so much for that.
i mean, it is a shame. of course, such an audience doesn't deserve anything but a bullet in smack on the head. on the other hand, why does FB do such a thing? he must have enough money by now. i would pay 50 euros ore more to see him on an FB concert, and at least some other people would do so here. playing (only) on such an occasion like this shitty festival in an country where his fan base is very small does only piss off his fans (like me), and probably himself too. and it leaves a cynical after taste.
howe gelb is a good counter example. he is still touring all over europe, playing small venues, and as result, he has many fans here and touring like this obviously pays off for him. of course i understand that FB's schedule is different, but as a said, i don't see ANY sense in performing on such festivals.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  11:07:25  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess it's another chance to warm up before the England gig, and he gets paid for it. I don't know much about financing ones own tour, but with festivals I bet you just show up, get told what time to go on, play a few songs, then disappear into the night counting the moola. Less hassle.

The only downside is highlighted in your post.
Go to Top of Page

phys
- FB Fan -

Austria
32 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  00:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

i didn't go this concert since it is a 3 day festival with 50,000 people and dozens of other bands (marylin manson, smashing pumpjkins, pearl jam,...). and FB on such a festival is like serving a delicate 5-course french meal in mc donalds. i had this experience with the pixies 3 years ago, and i said never again. and reading a review of the festival, i was totally right: the reviewer wrote he was the musical highlight of the evening (which i can imagine), but he got booed of by the audience (thousands of drunken teenagers who weren't even born ehen the pixies broke up and who were waiting for bands of which i don't even remember the name). the audience gave him the middle finger (literally, not a phrase by me). so much for that.
i mean, it is a shame. of course, such an audience doesn't deserve anything but a bullet in smack on the head. on the other hand, why does FB do such a thing? he must have enough money by now. i would pay 50 euros ore more to see him on an FB concert, and at least some other people would do so here. playing (only) on such an occasion like this shitty festival in an country where his fan base is very small does only piss off his fans (like me), and probably himself too. and it leaves a cynical after taste.
howe gelb is a good counter example. he is still touring all over europe, playing small venues, and as result, he has many fans here and touring like this obviously pays off for him. of course i understand that FB's schedule is different, but as a said, i don't see ANY sense in performing on such festivals.

thank you 2reelers. seems to me, that you're absolutely right here.
where did you read the reviews? could you please tell me the newspaper(s) or - even better - post the review(s)?
thnx in advance!

there is a hole for every soul
Go to Top of Page

flash79
- FB Fan -

Austria
1 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  02:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While it's correct that (part of) the audience trashed him for no obvious reason, the concert itself was great and he definitely got some new fans there.
Go to Top of Page

phys
- FB Fan -

Austria
32 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  03:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flash79

While it's correct that (part of) the audience trashed him for no obvious reason, the concert itself was great and he definitely got some new fans there.

...which is erfreulich - for Austria!

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  03:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://fm4.orf.at/zita/218641/main

(in german)

16.06.07 - 15.45 Uhr
It's so nice to meet Frank Black
Susi interviewt Frank Black. Nein, er braucht keinen Ventilator, er ist ja grad erst angekommen und ist sehr entspannt. Keine Anzeichen von Überheblichkeit, im Gegenteil: Er ist der festen Ansicht, gleich in einem Zelt spielen zu müssen. Umso überraschter ist er, als Susi ihm klar macht, dass die große Bühne sein Platz sein wird. Wir hingegen können kaum glauben, dass er bei dem Konzert nicht Gitarre spielen wird. Naja, man wird sehen.
Im Hintergrund hören wir schon Therapy?. Ich muss weg.
16.06.07 - 19.45 Uhr
Frank Black - "Check it out now"
Es fehlt etwas. Es fehlt ganz klar etwas, wenn Frank Black ohne Gitarre auf der Bühne steht. Noch scheint er nicht so ganz zu wissen, was er jetzt mit den Armen tun soll und wirkt etwas hilflos. "Take off your skin and dance around your bones."
Frank Black spielt zum ersten Mal in dieser Formation - ohne Gitarre - auf einem Festival. Und er war noch nie ein großer Entertainer, Bühnenansagen gibt es bei ihm nicht. Er ist auch nicht schlecht, im Gegenteil, seine Band spielt ein gutes Konzert, aber der Funke springt nicht über. Da ist einerseits ein Publikum, das nach "Where ist my mind" verlangt, da ist andererseits noch viel mehr Publikum, das schon mal für "Linkin Park" oder "30 Seconds To Mars" Stellung bezogen hat und nicht nur mit Frank Black gar nichts anfangen kann, sondern ihm das auch mit gestrecktem Mittelfinger zeigt. Vielleicht braucht man für Frank Black ein gewisses Alter, harhar. Für mich ist er jedenfalls neben Therapy? das musikalische Highlight des Tages. Umso mehr, als er zum Schluss "The Rockafeller Skank" covert. Da kommt plötzlich Bewegung ins Spiel und Frank Black überzeugt. Aber zu kurz. Viel zu kurz. Es fehlt etwas.

Edited by - two reelers on 06/18/2007 03:45:50
Go to Top of Page

phys
- FB Fan -

Austria
32 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  03:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

http://fm4.orf.at/zita/218641/main

(in german)

16.06.07 - 15.45 Uhr
It's so nice to meet Frank Black
Susi interviewt Frank Black. Nein, er braucht keinen Ventilator, er ist ja grad erst angekommen und ist sehr entspannt. Keine Anzeichen von Überheblichkeit, im Gegenteil: Er ist der festen Ansicht, gleich in einem Zelt spielen zu müssen. Umso überraschter ist er, als Susi ihm klar macht, dass die große Bühne sein Platz sein wird. Wir hingegen können kaum glauben, dass er bei dem Konzert nicht Gitarre spielen wird. Naja, man wird sehen.
Im Hintergrund hören wir schon Therapy?. Ich muss weg.
16.06.07 - 19.45 Uhr
Frank Black - "Check it out now"
Es fehlt etwas. Es fehlt ganz klar etwas, wenn Frank Black ohne Gitarre auf der Bühne steht. Noch scheint er nicht so ganz zu wissen, was er jetzt mit den Armen tun soll und wirkt etwas hilflos. "Take off your skin and dance around your bones."
Frank Black spielt zum ersten Mal in dieser Formation - ohne Gitarre - auf einem Festival. Und er war noch nie ein großer Entertainer, Bühnenansagen gibt es bei ihm nicht. Er ist auch nicht schlecht, im Gegenteil, seine Band spielt ein gutes Konzert, aber der Funke springt nicht über. Da ist einerseits ein Publikum, das nach "Where ist my mind" verlangt, da ist andererseits noch viel mehr Publikum, das schon mal für "Linkin Park" oder "30 Seconds To Mars" Stellung bezogen hat und nicht nur mit Frank Black gar nichts anfangen kann, sondern ihm das auch mit gestrecktem Mittelfinger zeigt. Vielleicht braucht man für Frank Black ein gewisses Alter, harhar. Für mich ist er jedenfalls neben Therapy? das musikalische Highlight des Tages. Umso mehr, als er zum Schluss "The Rockafeller Skank" covert. Da kommt plötzlich Bewegung ins Spiel und Frank Black überzeugt. Aber zu kurz. Viel zu kurz. Es fehlt etwas.

thank you for posting, 2reelers!!!
i haven't been to the show - but nonetheless i'm convinced the author- in spite of all his benevolence - doesn't really know, WHO FRANK BLACK ACTUALLY IS ???!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000