WOODY GUTHRIE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know mr. thompson mentioned the first song he ever did in public was a woody guthrie song,
i sure wish he would record a song by mr. guthrie.
in my opinion when its all said and done mr. thompson will go down as the greatest american song writer ever (my opinion the world), right up there with woody and a few others.

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey speedy, how's things? I believe the first song FB did in public was In the midnight hour by wilson pickett, but i could be wrong.

What woodie G song did you think FB did? I know he did coming to Los Angeles by Arlo Guthrie.
Go to Top of Page

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey sam maybe he did do midnight hour but i read this in rolling stone interview, i will have to search out the arlo guthrie song los angeles, thats a great song

As on Honeycomb, Raider Man finds the self-described "quirky alternative guy" once again plumbing the depths of his early musical influences.

"The first time I sang music in public as a kid, I sang a Woody Guthrie song," he says. "I grew up listening to gospel and Leon Russell and blues. This is who I am."

i wish i knew what song it was, if anyone knows please tell me.
Go to Top of Page

wwgt
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  09:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"mr. thompson will go down as the greatest american song writer ever "
AGREED and SECONDED

Space is gonna do me good
Go to Top of Page

wwgt
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  09:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow up :
I think FB\CT will rank up there with mozart , beethoven , bach and the like
as the eons of time pass ........

Space is gonna do me good
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  17:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woody Guthrie is one of my all time favorites. I'd like to hear Frank do a Guthrie tune too - but mainly just out of curiosity because I have a hard time imagining what that would be like. I'd like to hear Frank do a talking blues - it would probably be nothing like a traditional talking blues - but that's the point - I'd like to hear his take on that song form - he probably would take it to a whole new place.

the thing that fascinates me about Frank's songwriting is where does he pull these chord progressions and melodies from? Guthrie wrote thousands of songs and they were all based on the same melodies and chords - from the Carter Family, etc. And when you listen to Dylan and countless others you can trace their melodies backwards to those same sources. Frank's chords and progressions just seem to come from Frank. I mean I've never heard an older tune and thought - "oh that must be where Frank was pulling from".

I don't mean entirely - like I hear the Ramones and Stones and Bowie in many tunes. But more so with Frank than with other artists - there are just so many Frank tunes that just seem to have come from his own little corner of the universe. Was there some old bluesman that did the main riff to "Humboldt County Massacre"? Somebody point me to the old Scottish ballad that was the source melody for "End of the World" or "Two Reelers"

you know what I mean? I'm aware of the traditional sources that are in "Sing for Joy" and "Fare Thee Well" - but where the hell did "Cult of Ray" come from??

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000