Mac Mini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  11:03:47  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I've recently been enchanted by this little number and thought some of you here would be a good gauge to work out whether it's worth it. I'm not really after a big fancy Mac, partly due to expense, partly due to not being able to warrant two computers; but I've always quite fancied a Mac. I suppose this is exactly what this Mac is for, really- petrified, skint PC users.

Anyone have any experience of the Mac Mini?

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  11:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i saw the title of this thread i thought it was about a new burger, the opposite of a big mac. I've been mislead

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  12:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought macaroni and cheese. Hmmm...

purple lambchops
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a Macbook (laptop) that I quite like. There was a very small adjustment period (no mouse though I could attach one etc.) but overall I love it. I don't think I'd get a regular pc again. If I wasn't specifically looking for a laptop I might've got the mini-mac.

So...while I don't have a minimac, I do like the mac I own.

ta-da!
arm arm arm
p.s. Mac and Cheese is good as well, as long as it's not too salty. I don't like Velveeta though.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me the main question would be does a mini Mac make more sense than a iMac or iBook (or whatever they're calling them now). If you don't already have them you'll have to buy a monitor and keyboard. I've requested some money to buy a MiniMac, but I am a little worried that it'll be easy to steal from my office since it's smaller than a notebook computer (but I don't know if there's much of a market for stolen MiniMacs).
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're looking to test the Mac waters, maybe you should buy a used one. Last I looked, you can find iBooks all over craigslist in most cities.

Grand Marnier and a pocketful of speed. We did it all day until we started to bleed.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  16:38:10  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My brother had a Mac Mini. He gave it to my parents when he got a new MacBook. My parents had DSL installed at our house. Here's the conversation between my dad and the internet installer guy:

Internet Guy: Okay. We have the router installed. Now we just need to plug it into the computer. Where is it?
DAD: (Pointing to the Mac Mini) Right there.
IG: No. I mean the computer itself. The tower.
DAD: Right there.
IG: No. It's what your monitor is plugged into, and the printer, and your mouse and keyboard.
DAD: (Pointing AGAIN) Right there. THAT's the computer.
IG: No, it's much bigger than that. This cable from the router should plug into the back of it. Is it behind the desk, on the floor?
(DAD pulls out the Mac Mini and turns it around and plugs the cable into it.)
IG: .......Oh. I've never seen one of those. .......I want one.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  18:29:47  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave one as a Christmas present. It maneuvered through a rather complicated network setup all by itself and has lots of nice stuff OEM.

I guess you can run some windows programs on them...hmmm...I will have to see what programs work.

Has anyone tried using the Remote Desktop Connection software for OS-X that you can download from Microsoft to connect to XP computers (XP Pro, XP Server, NT Server, 2000 Server, Vista)? It didn't work so well over this particular network, very slow.

Edited by - hammerhands on 03/19/2007 18:30:35
Go to Top of Page

greg
- FB Fan -

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  18:42:02  Show Profile  Click to see greg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Macs are the shit. They are easy to use. They work all of the time. I have an iMac and the MacBook. OOOOOh and my Apple TV unit should arrive early next week. All of my music, streaming wirelessly to my stereo. No more getting up to look for that pesky cd. All done by remote from the comfort of my chair. Life is good.

www.bettieserveert.com
Go to Top of Page

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  21:38:25  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It really depends on what your expect to do on it. I love mac's and mac minis are great, but if you do any sort of intensive computer memory (RAM) use it may not be the best option (because they don't come with much). But if your are just an average webbroweser/document composer it soudn't be a big deal.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  06:16:32  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's not that hard to upgrade the RAM, though. That's what we did with our MacMini, and my brother used Final Cut Pro on it for quite a while before moving on to his MacBook.

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  09:40:41  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good lord, I think I'm going to have to get one. I had a little play on one in a mac shop yesterday and, though obviously wasn't expecting anything different to a normal mac, I do love the little blighter.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  18:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  20:32:25  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our MacMini, autographed by John Linnell and John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants. They said that was a first for them. Score.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  20:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

It's not that hard to upgrade the RAM, though. That's what we did with our MacMini, and my brother used Final Cut Pro on it for quite a while before moving on to his MacBook.

yeah, you can run Final Cut Pro on one of those things. that's pretty imressive

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  22:22:37  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Get the adapter to S-Video and just plug it into your TV, no need for a monitor.... sweet.

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  15:32:42  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So yesterday was really sunny and I was in a good mood, thus I headed into town on my bicycle to see what was what on my day off from work and whatnot. Within an hour I'm on my way home having visited the Mac shop with a brand new Mini Mac on the back of me bike. So much for saving up for summer.

It's brilliant and I love it. I think the remote control 'Front Row' thing for iTunes and playing DVDs is my favourite feature at the moment. I'd certainly recommend this Mac for anyone who is stuck in PCs (given though I've only had it for thirty or so hours- I'm sure I'll update if I fall out with the little bugger).

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  03:01:58  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like a giant sardine can. The Mac I mean, not you proz.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:11:54  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's okay, Carl. I am, in fact, a giant sardine can though. I'm filled with little fishies. The only thing holding 'em in is that post it note.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000