New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  15:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't notice this posted anywhere, apologies if it is.

Noticed the new Q in the magazine rack ce soir, with the subject line as its front cover banner. I plucked it down, expecting the usual disappointment of discovering that the list was all wrong and contained nobody I rated. Imagine my surprise, at number 67....

==========

FRANK BLACK
Pixies Leader. Screaming a speciality.

"Having dropped out of the University of Massachusetts while on a college exchange program, Black posted an ad to recruit a bassist for his new band. Applicants should be "into Husker Du and Peter, Paul and Mary". It was an incongruity perfectly fitting for the Pixies' songbook, brought to life by Black's remarkable screaming voice. He claimed to have developed his unconventional style after a Thai neighbour asked him to perform The Beatles' Oh My Darling but to "scream it like you hate that bitch"."

Key Songs
1. Caribou (with Pixies)
2. Bone Machine (with Pixies)
3. Broken Face (with Pixies)
4. Monkey Gone To Heaven (with Pixies)
5. Hey (with Pixies)
6. Debaser (with Pixies)
7. Planet of Sound (with Pixies)
8. Wild Honey Pie (Live) (with Pixies)
9. Speedy Marie
10. Strange Goodbye

===========

Now, obviously we could complain about the lack of any real revelation in the little bio, the choices of songs, the inference that 80% of his career was the Pixies, the (imho) odd choices from his solo career, etc, but it was good to see FB get a mention.

And he came just behind Iggy at number 63, which I suspect is just how The Man would want it ;-)

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  16:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I suppose we wouldn't expect anything other than it to imply that most of his best work was with the Pixies. I can honestly think of at least thirty songs from his solo stuff that are better than Broken Face. And Speedy Marie and Strange Goodbye? They are two rather odd choices I think. Still, it's nice of him to get a mention.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:42:23  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
seeing as they stuck to mostly pixies songs, i'm suprised that they didn't pick tame.....

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  20:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would rank Speedy Marie as one of his greatest songs and he has a nice voice on that one. It doesn't fit the screaming thesis, but it adds to the displayed range.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  03:12:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Strange Goodbye?

Man, I like the song but his vocals aren't that great on it
Jean even sings a bit out of tune

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  06:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever used pandora.com? You tell it your musical tastes by rating this song or that, and it adds your preferences to its huge database of users' tastes, thereby mapping out some sort of musical DNA. Not sure what it'll ever amount to, but that's not my point here ... what I was getting at is that when I told it I wanted to hear a Frank Black song, it chose "Strange Goodbye." Was that song released as a single or something? I was surprised to see it come up as being representative of Frank Black then, and I'm surprised to see it again here with this Q thing.

Oh, and "Wild Honey Pie"? What they hey? I'm not completely up to speed on all-things-Pixie, but isn't that one a bit obscure? Was it a hit somewhere? Burkina Faso?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  07:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess it's key songs re FB as a singer, in which case I can see how they could justify Wild Honey Pie. Talking of screaming it...

The other choices are a bit lame though.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  07:59:24  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Oh, and "Wild Honey Pie"? What they hey? I'm not completely up to speed on all-things-Pixie, but isn't that one a bit obscure? Was it a hit somewhere? Burkina Faso?

That one is one of the best, no, the best cover the Pixies ever recorded.

Burkina Faso know it.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  14:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed a very strange choice, especially if you know that Spedy Marie and Strange Goodbye are about the same person. I think the guy didnt know FB's career very well and he tried to listen quickly a pair of catchy song. That's not so much job to handle if you have to do that with 100 artsits.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  23:35:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it takes all night should have been on that list

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  10:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's got a terrific voice, I love the way he can reach those real high, harmonious notes!
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  22:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe "Wild Honey Pie" because he screams a Beatles songs like he hates that bitch?

But the Beatles themselves were screaming like they hated that bitch on the White Album anyway. It is a weird choice - like if I've never heard Frank Black, would I want to pick up "Live at the BBC" to check him out? Weird.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:14:22  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tame definitely should have made the list. Along with Dead.

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another fan of Dead - my favourite r'n'r song of all time
I have a solo electric version from the Boderline gig that every forum member should hear. Moderators, it's ok to post?

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a mod, and I don't play one on TV, but it's always been OK to share boots on this site, Tro. Go for it.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even missing his solo work, Olympus Mons is a vocal tour-de-force.

Haven't we collectively sworn off these lists before?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So there it is.
Black Francis, Borderline, London, 1st November 1990. I know cos I was there. (He wore a natty blue blazer. And was as nervous as hell).

Dead
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ys8q7m

Tame
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dis5lk
(Bonus for awestruck)

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  18:41:15  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks, trobrianders! those are two of my favorites.

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  20:27:00  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
His double octave vocals on "Speedy Marie" are great.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000