New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much of a differnce is there between an Epi Les Paul and Gibson Les Paul for a guy who just plays around the house?

I've been playing Strats for years and have suddenly become interested in playing a Gibson-esque humbucker guitar. I just don't have a lot of money to spend. Wondering if anyone has a Epi Les Paul and how they like them.

On a similar note, how much of a sound difference is there between single coil Strats and humbucker Les Pauls? Besides the buzz when the guitar is quiet.

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is slightly tangential, but I recently upgraded from a Mexican-made, "Squier" series (this was before Squier was it's own brand, a la Epiphone) Fender Strat to an American (ie. higher end) Fender Telecaster. Now, it may be apples and oranges (especially considering I also upgraded my amp to a Fender Deluxe), but the sound difference is literally jaw dropping. So basically, cheaper guitar (meaning, cheaper wood and hardware) plus cheaper amp = cheaper sound. Of course, for playing around the house, this is hardly a problem. But once I heard my new guitars through a good amp, I couldn't go back to my old one.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

debaserrr
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  08:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try playing both, if you can feel/hear a difference in the gibson that you think is worth the money get that. but epiphones can still be really good for somone who isnt a profecianal... you could always start with buying an epiphone and then trade up eventually if you dont wnat to spend all the money right away.

boom chicka boom

"The arc of triumph!"
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  00:46:57  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't buy Fender's get G&L's. Don't buy Gibson's get Tokai or Godin's.

Blats
Go to Top of Page

Oil Boy
- FB Fan -

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  06:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been playing an Epiphone Sheraton II (a semi-hollow body) for years and I love it. I've played several Gibsons at music shops & for the money, I really don't think the Gibsons are worth it. Of course, if money wasn't an issue I'd choose a Gibson, but since money is a big issue for most people, I would recommend the Epiphone. A friend of mine has an Epi Les Paul that I've played a few times & it sounds & plays really nice. Epiphones are definitely a step up from Squire & the other lesser brands.

Try playing each at a local music shop and see how they feel to you. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  04:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the cheaper Epiphones are terrible, but as Oil Boy says, models like the Sheraton are fabulous. Great workmanship.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  15:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

How much of a differnce is there between an Epi Les Paul and Gibson Les Paul for a guy who just plays around the house?

I've been playing Strats for years and have suddenly become interested in playing a Gibson-esque humbucker guitar. I just don't have a lot of money to spend. Wondering if anyone has a Epi Les Paul and how they like them.

On a similar note, how much of a sound difference is there between single coil Strats and humbucker Les Pauls? Besides the buzz when the guitar is quiet.

First, if you've been playing strats for year, you might not like the Gibson/Epiphone necks. They are much thicker/rounder. after playing Fenders for years, I couldn't stand how the Gibson style neck felt.

Second, the sound is not all the much different, it the quality of the instrument. The cheaper epiphone will probably go out of tune qucker due to crappier components. You can often fix this by upgrading just the tuners.

Third, the difference between the sound of single coil and humbuckers is huge. The humbucker is designed to cancel out the frequencies of the other coil that cause the buzz, so you don't have nearly as much high end frequency in there. It more warm and fat than hot and twangy (especially the "les paul" sound).

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:37:07  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think some of the Epiphones have 25 1/2" scale length necks which would be good. The normal 24 3/4" Gibson scale is another big adjustment from a Fender.
Go to Top of Page

Wade
- FB Fan -

115 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  22:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't epiphone started by Gibson folks with differences of opinion, and that thought they (G) had declined in quality? I know that both make guitars on both ends of the pricing argument, and you get what you pay for, but I have seen some evidence (this was years ago) that the epiphones, when compared to similarly priced/featured gibsons, are better made.

All that said, I play a '79 Gibson SG and I love it... worn and rattling second fret and all.

Go to Top of Page

Encapsulate
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  23:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Pence

Don't buy Fender's get G&L's. Don't buy Gibson's get Tokai or Godin's.

Blats

I just upgraded from a post-bankruptcy Kramer to a Godin SD.

Oh man. Best thing ever. Miles and miles down the road.
Go to Top of Page

Rico Ricardo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  20:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Epiphone was once a rival of Gibson's, until the founder (whose nickname 'Epi' is where the brands name comes from) died, and then they soon went bankrupt and Gibson bought them, there history is all detailed on wikipedia, like most stuff, it's quite interesting.

Personally I think for the price the Epiphone is definately the guitar to buy, the difference in quality is minimal compared with the cost involved (although Epiphone do a range of guitars just as expensive, if not moreso than the Gibson equivalents, just to add extra confusion, I think they're called the master series or something like that).

Live and let live
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  16:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The guitarist in my band uses an Epiphone 'Dot' and it sounds superb.

Ade

As the air conditioner hummed....
Go to Top of Page

lackflag
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  01:34:56  Show Profile  Visit lackflag's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a guy who just plays around the house, the difference is about 1000 dollars.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  07:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loft and Lost - The Les Paul Special.

...So, when I heard the news of Les Paul passing away, my thoughts
didn’t go to Slash, they went to The Pixies, Manic Street Preachers, and Low...

...It’s the same with The Pixies. Although Black Francis used a Fender Tele (with the
occasional Strat), Joey Santiago was a Les Paul man. And it was unlikely that such a
truly unique sound had ever been made before Joey strapped on his plank. I can still
remember hearing “Bone Machine” on John Peel one night, back in 1988. Sounding like
nothing I’d ever heard, the lead guitar was discordant and twisted, screaming in unison
with Black Francis.

Joey, A Les Paul, and a Bigsby

And more was to come, with Doolittle taking Surfer Rosa’s twisted goodness and
adding a huge hit of pop nous.

YouTube - Pixies Dead, I bleed, Snub TV BBC session 1989.

Mmmm, a gold Les Paul.

MP3: Bone Machine by The Pixies

Buy The Pixies “Surfer Rosa & Come on Pilgrim” (CD) (What, you haven’t got this
already?)

Edited by - Carl on 08/17/2009 07:20:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000