Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  17:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished the Hunger Game trilogy. Ehhh, it was ok.

Now back to Our Band Could be Your Life
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  03:45:45  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY
Just read this and started on the next one. Picked all three up for 3 quid from a charity shop - had previously been put off as I assumed they probably wern't that good due to the hype and popularity. I was expecting something like Dan Brown but was completely wrong, really impressed so far. The only things that grate are the over-descriptive passages (do we really need to know the entire spec of the characters laptops?)

Ha! I'm reading the first Millennium book and the laptop bit was the most WTF? moment. Not to mention the fact that she buys a 17" laptop, which just doesn't seem right.

Anyway - I'm about 300 pages in and though the book isn't exactly bad, I'm beginning to wonder if something will ever happen in this book. Is it really worth going further? I can't believe I've read so much without anything happening. Makes me wonder how that became a bestseller.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  07:42:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I still wonder how that book had any success. Just finished it and I hated it. DEATH WISH without the action (and no Bronson). Guess I won't bother watching the flick.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  14:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Well I still wonder how that book had any success. Just finished it and I hated it. DEATH WISH without the action (and no Bronson). Guess I won't bother watching the flick.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

In retrospect I thought the first one was ok, the second better but nothing special, the third unreadable (gave up after 100 pages). The Swedish films are really good actually, not seen the Hollywood version.

Just read this and loved it, an unusual and really well written psychological thriller. It was free on kindle but I'd have gladly paid for it.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 06/07/2012 14:33:43
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  10:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone here reading "50 Shades of Grey" (and willing to admit it)?
Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  09:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny though, a general view is that Hornby best days are behind him.... However, I found it to be a great read with an interesting take on obsessive/out of touch fans. It is hilarious in parts and Hornby's never lost his quirkiness.
I just finished Mick Wall's 'When Giants walked the earth'. It's a fascinating read for all, not just those who liked Zeppelin's music. It really looks into Jimmy Page's interest in Alistair Crowley and all Occultist stuff. I suppose I learnt a heck of a lot about the band and all the things going on behind the scenes, as never really a fan. Highly recommended!!
quote:

Just finished Nick Hornby's "Juliet, Naked". Pretty fun to read thinking about us fans/stalkers. The epilogue definitely rings a bell.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  13:33:25  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of great looking books on my nightstand, but no time.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  15:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hunger Games Trilogy---I liked it a lot but didn't love it.

Gregor the Underlander chronicles---loved it but had some weak parts

The NIght Circus---Loved it.

The Magic of Reality (nonfiction)---interesting

Alone Together (nonfiction)---skipped the part on A.I. and focused only on the social technology part.

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  06:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Funny, Coastline. I just thought of that book for the first time in years the other day (Flowers for Algernon) and wondered if I'd like it as an adult. And my younger sister also got me reading the Hunger Games back around Christmas time, suprisingly good.

Now I'm on Stephen King's Dark Tower series... currently reading Wizard and the Glass (Book 4?)

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

How'd you make out with the rest of the series, sir? if i remember correctly 5 and 6 were the toughest to get through and there was some serious "what the hell is he writing" stuff going on but the 7th ties it ALL together and its a bloody fantastic series...

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  13:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the world i thought he was creating in the first 4 books turned out to be something different in the last 3. overall, i'm pretty disappointed with the last 3 books. is that book 4.5 out yet? there's a book 4.5 thing coming out.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  09:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just finished Nick Hornby's A LONG WAY DOWN. Not his best but I give him kudos for writing such an hilarious book about suicide and depression.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

I'm reading this now. I've been trying to figure out where I'd heard of Hornby before, and finally realized it was in this forum.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  13:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi (who is a friend of a friend and someone I regularly trounce in Fantasy Football)

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  11:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read this recently:

It's great.

Also read this:

It's also great.
Go to Top of Page

onyone
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
96 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  19:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recent visit father and get a few thing out of storage. I find lot of old magazine and book from when young man in middle school. Make me feel happy inside think back to old time. This one of first English magazine I ever read.

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  07:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult of Frank told us onyone wasn't floop. I think he now owes us an apology.

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  14:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
giggle
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  15:03:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone like popular science? My favourite science writer is in Edinburgh this month for the festival, James Gleick. Chaos is my faveourite book of all time, which I suppose for a failed scientist is pretty lame, but I don't care. I attempted to read a book the other day and got nearly as far through it as I did ten years go (chapter 1.5)

I like reading. The last time I read a lot was when I was in INdian over ten years ago. I can't read now without being distracted by my own my. I need to smoke copious amounts of marijuana before I can read a whole book

When I was in India in the foothills of the Himalayas I met this guy who lived in the mountains, or so he said anyway. He told me he lived in the mountains during the winter, and he lived on snow and basic food he cocked in this cave he lived in. He looked like he might be telling the truth and was in fact doing that. I remember him talking about books, about how he doesn't need books because it's all in his head, his own thoughts. In a way I have always related to that. I find my own thought patterns perpetually interupt any book I am reading. My own thoughts go faster than the process of my eyes taking int the words on print and processing them in my brain. It's always easier and more interesting for me to think than it is to read someone elses thoughts or ideas.

I like to read though, and I want to go back and study science in some way. But all my country wants to pay for is war, and more slavery.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  15:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watership Down over here. fantastic! i'm only 60 pages in and i'm already floored at how great it is.

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  14:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's it going for Frith's sake!? Bigwig's badass, no?

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  01:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's wonderful.

*SPOILER ALERT**

i'm at the part where he infiltrates efrafa.

i'm excited to read Shardik next.

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  01:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Bigwig's badass, no?

"imagine a bunch of little bigwigs running around. think on that and tremble!"

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  14:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any interest in The Casual Vacancy?

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  04:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haven't even read a review yet. probably. maybe.

definite interest in the new Dark Tower book, as well as the new Michael Chabon.

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  05:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the huffpo review has sold me on maybe giving it a chance (how's that evading an answer?!)

"Would this book be published if it weren't for the name on the cover? Almost certainly. Would anyone pay much attention to it, and its message? Probably not. Is it worth reading? Yes, because it's become a talking point among readers, and unlike "Fifty Shades of Grey," reading it is not a painful experience. Is it worthy of awards? Probably not, but I'd definitely be interested in reading her next book, regardless of the baggage carried by the name on the cover.

In summary, "The Casual Vacancy" is a good, though not great, book about small-town, small-minded England. What else did you expect?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/the-casual-vacancy-review_n_1917058.html

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  05:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finishing "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. Wonderful book.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  13:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Casual Vacancy or Harry Potter and the Miraculously Unguarded Vagina they're calling it. Funny. Not really.

I saw her interviewed. Made me wanna take a look. I never read any Harry Potter.

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  14:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willie Mays The Life, The Legend

Watership Down is one the few books Ive read twice.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  12:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading another Nick Hornby -- "About a Boy." Denis, which of his books do you like best?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  12:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anybody else here on Goodfriends?
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  14:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Watership Down is one the few books Ive read twice.

well, i finished it and loved every moment of it. i'm thinking i'll read shardik next. we'll see what the library has.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  22:23:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Reading another Nick Hornby -- "About a Boy." Denis, which of his books do you like best?

High Fidelity obviously. I remember the shock I felt when I read it first - like if someone had been secretly watching over my shoulder all my life and made a book about it.
I haven't read that many of his books actually. Hig Fidelity is awesome, About a Boy is pretty good, and I read A Long Way Down and Juliet Naked which were equally good (Juliet Naked will ring a bell for all you FB fanboys). I'd like to read 31 Songs.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  22:27:12  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the things I appreciate about Hornby is that his writing style is simple enough for me to read it in english. I realize I cannot stand anymore translated books (I'm reading On The Road in french and I keep wincing at expressions that just don't look right) but there are authors I'll never be able to understand in the original version.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  08:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm reading On The Road in french and I keep wincing at expressions that just don't look right

Is there any reason you're not reading it in English? As I recall (I'm at work, so I don't have my copy at hand), the language is fairly simple.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  10:12:46  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not Denis but I agree with him.

I'd put High Fidelity above the rest and About a Boy not that far behind.
I've read them all but Fever Pitch and honestly they're all very good.
I even enjoyed the one about a skater (Slam) and I couldn't care less about skating !
I liked The Polysyllabic Spree as well and I hadn't read 95% of the books he reviewed.

Bottom line is the guy is witty and funny whatever he's writing on so I'd advise you to read anything from him you can put your hands on !
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  10:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is anybody else here on Goodfriends?

Goodreads? I could do with linking up with a few more people on there for book recommendations.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000