Frank Black Tax
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cary7
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  11:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me get the obligatory out of the way. I love FB. He is one of the greatest American singer-songwriters ever. His imprint can be heard on every indie record to come out since the early 90's. All of this is true and my desert island wishlist would definitely include most of his catalog.

I agree with everyone that the new tracks on the Christmass CD are great. Having said that, the live performances (including DVD) are pretty much a waste. I don't regret paying the 30+ bucks for it because I feel like he deserves the support and money. But I wish Frank would have just said something like, "Sorry guys, but I'm gonna start charging a Frank Black annual tax of about 32 bucks because we all know what I've done for you. Prompt payment will get you this throwaway CD/DVD thingy that I knocked out while hanging out on my patio." Seriously, we all have dozens of bootlegs that are a thousand times better than this material. It could have been sooooo much better and we all know it. It just doesn't seem like he put all that much work into it. This is the first time I've been disappointed with an official FB release.

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He doesnt need to charge a tax, he s got the pixies money, and he certainly made Christmass "for your pleasure" like Brian Ferry would say.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  15:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cary7
This is the first time I've been disappointed with an official FB release.

did you buy Honeycomb?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2436 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  16:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the price, I love the CD-DVD package. I dare say, I'd probably have paid that just for an EP of the new songs. It's a nice release, aimed at the fans, and I'm delighted that Charles is just releasing records just for the sake of it. And of course, it's hardly as if he's doing as many other artists do, and re-release existing records with just a couple of extra tracks!

In a year when we've already had an album {and a double one, at that}, I'm overjoyed.

It would've been great to get an entire show, but hey, as long as The Man keeps touring, I'd settle for seeing him, up close, in concert.
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  20:07:20  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get the fuck off my internets.

--
Got coffee, got donuts, got wasted...
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  20:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spunXtain

Get the fuck off my internets.

Eh?
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  21:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what I'd think of Xmass if I'd paid $32 for it, but I got it for $13 and I'm pleased.

"Join the Cult of Juiceman and braid your eyebrows"
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
921 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  09:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the live tracks and didnt feel cheated out of my money
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  20:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cary7

It could have been sooooo much better and we all know it.

Speak for yourself, new guy.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  18:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For Pete's sake, it was advertised as a mail-order only release of solo live tracks and demos recorded in a hotel room. It's not like they tried to trick you. I don't think it could have been any more explicitly described as nothing more than a treat for uber fans to hold us over until the next "official" release.

Do a little research before whining. It's not even that hard - the first post on the thread called "ChRISTMASS the Album" explains everything.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  13:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One pitiful post and then he was gone. Worth the mon for Two Reelers alone. Has anyone even watched the DVD? It's great. Only wish there was more.

laporto
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  00:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the DVD is worth the money alone. I look at it this way. I wanted the album early, so I paid extra.

It does piss me of when artists add bonus tracks or bonus dvd's to later issues of a record. Beck has done this to me twice, so I stopped paying for his records and download them instead.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  08:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get that Frank Black tax idea in the garbage !!
Oops I just made it newer...
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  09:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's talk about the DVD instead.

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  09:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Christmass CD has lived in my car stereo for the last 6 months and helped convert my wife and kids (the use of the word bursting has skyrocketed in the household) to the power of Frank, so $30 doesn't seem like too much.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:02:00  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I made a playlist of just the new songs on Christmass (plus the live Massif Central... any chance to hear that I take) and it plays like an amazing FB EP, so I dont really care what else is on it, I'm loving the new songs as much as anything in recent Frank-dom, and that includes Bluefinger! I wonder what FB 'phase' historians will place these songs in? Post-Nashville, pre-Black Francis revival (even though the songs are written by Black Francis, they are mellower in a Havalina way).
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I FINALLY bought Christmass today, and having read so many critics about the live tracks I was surprised how GREAT they sound. The aggressive accoustic guitar and the reverb on the voice make it sound quite garage rock, though there's no band. I think it's better than any acoustic bootleg I ever heard. It sounds very sixties.
Living on soul is much better than with a rock band. You cant really hear those chords on the rock version, you think they're conventional major chords. And that counts for a lot of FB songs, especially on The cult of Ray, you need to hear clearly FB's guitar to get the originality of the songs.

Edited by - Grotesque on 07/13/2007 14:52:18
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points, as always, Grotesque. The solo acoustic tour opened up a lot of his songs for me, especially "Living On Soul" and "Two Reelers."

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  14:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

You cant really hear those chords on the rock version, you think they're conventional major chords. And that counts for a lot of FB songs, especially on The cult of Ray, you need to hear clearly FB's guitar to get the originality of the song.

I'm with you Grotesque. At least half of the FB I listen to is FB solo for this reason. I remember an interview with Kristin Hersh where she was saying that of all the fine musicians that she worked with, it was only her drummer David Narcizo who really 'got' what she was about, musically.

I love the Catholics but they were serving Rock more than they were serving Charles' muse. I think that's why this current period, where he's truly going solo, is proving to be so cathartic for him. His current band members I think recognise this and are playing accordingly. It's the best thing he could have done. I feel really good for him.

Edited by - trobrianders on 07/13/2007 14:49:23
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  10:05:18  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TO BE HONEST WITH YOU
RIGHT NOW
CHRISTMASS IS MY FAVORITE ALBUM
THE LIVE TRACKS ARE SO EXCITING
YOU MUST BE IN TEARS WHEN U JEAR
SING FOR JOY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page