Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Acoustic guitars (geeky question I'm afraid)?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  03:44:55  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what acoustic guitars FB uses for studio stuff? I have seen lots of live pics of him with the Takamine which has the hole in it, but im wondering if he has a "special"guitar that gets used in the studio. I am currently trying to find myself a new guitar and am doing a bit of research in what different types sound like. Any suggestions? I need something I can strum aswell as finger pick.

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  17:33:18  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think he uses a (few) Martin(s) for the most part. I think he retired the Takamine, which became a bit too holey for him. It might've even just fallen apart. In one of these threads, someone even talks Martin models. I don't remember where; I'll let you do the legwork on that.

I wish I could afford a nice Martin. Mmmm.

Tiny Axe (MySpace)
Me singing
Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  01:10:53  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. I had a feeling it would be Martins. I think the HD28 is the one I would go for. Now, I'll just go and rob a bank...
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  22:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every guitar is different. I've helped 5 different people buy acoustic guitars, and they were all happy with this:

1) pick a budget
2) Go to one (or several) of those guitar superstores that has a soundproof acoustic guitar room
3) play every guitar that is within your budget

Buy the one that makes you happiest, no matter what the brand. Don't get stuck on a brand - get the one that sounds best to you! and feels fun to play.

The key is not to pick up that $3500 Martin and play it, because then you'll hate everything else :)

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2790 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  22:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one thing I have found with guitars is the cheaper the price the more the frets stick out over the edge of the neck. take a file to it and its yours.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  22:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Buy the one that makes you happiest, no matter what the brand. Don't get stuck on a brand - get the one that sounds best to you! and feels fun to play.

I'll second that.

What?... Me Worry???
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  13:19:42  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

one thing I have found with guitars is the cheaper the price the more the frets stick out over the edge of the neck. take a file to it and its yours.

Yeah? I'd be afraid to do that since I know I wear my frets down anyway. Seems like I'd just be shortening the life of my guitar. Is replacing frets/fretboard affordable?

Just my impression.

Tiny Axe (MySpace)
Me singing
Go to Top of Page

space_has_done_me_good
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  02:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the videos I've seen of Frank uses a Martin. Probably a Martin HD28 (Like Paul McCartney's). But I've seen him use his Takamine and even a Gibson (I Burn Today live). I know what you mean about playing a Martin and not being satisfied with anything else. I bought a Martin HD 28V about two years ago. It was a long day and I tried out all the acoustics the store had and I just had to get this one. It's great. I also have an Applause (cheaper version of an Ovation). It costs about 300.00 US. It has a brighter tone that the Martin, but sounds good and I can plug it straight into the back of my computer and record. BTW I learned guitar by playing Frank Black's songs. I really like his chord progressions and think they sound good on almost any guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  14:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by space_has_done_me_good

I also have an Applause (cheaper version of an Ovation). It costs about 300.00 US. It has a brighter tone that the Martin, but sounds good and I can plug it straight into the back of my computer and record.

If you're doing this mainly for recording purposes, having a cheapo ovation or applause around is definitely a good thing. They sound so bright and different than the all-wood acoustics that they are very handy to have as a tool that doesn't compete as much with the other one's frquencies.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

space_has_done_me_good
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  23:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. I prefer the Martin over all. I'm just not too comfortable with the strap, having to connect it to the neck, but I don't want to have someone drill a hole in the side.
Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  03:18:43  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys. I agree about getting the one that makes you most happy. I am going to sign my life away in a guitar shop in London very soon. Ill let you know what I come back with.
Go to Top of Page

junkmale
- FB Fan -

79 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use an Applause AE-38. It has a great bright sound and sounds very 'full'. If I was buying another one, though I'd go with the shallower backed AE-37 which is a little more comfortable to play
Go to Top of Page

space_has_done_me_good
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  00:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use an AE228 it has a bright sound as well and I saw it had good reviews so I went for it. I don't know too much about guitars, but I found that putting acoustic strings makes the action too taught. I could hardly bend a string even though the strings were extra light(Martin). I adjusted the neck, with not luck as well. I finaly put electric strings(medium) and it works fine.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  00:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well damn, what did you get? We want pictures! A new guitar is like a new member of the family!

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

junkmale
- FB Fan -

79 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  06:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by space_has_done_me_good

I use an AE228 it has a bright sound as well and I saw it had good reviews so I went for it. I don't know too much about guitars, but I found that putting acoustic strings makes the action too taught. I could hardly bend a string even though the strings were extra light(Martin). I adjusted the neck, with not luck as well. I finaly put electric strings(medium) and it works fine.

I use very light strings on my Applause. Of course, you will get a fuller sound with thicker strings but Ernie Ball do some great strings for acoustics called Earthwood Light, which are 11-52 and much easier to play.
Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  06:41:44  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Waiting for a cheque to clear then off to London. May be another week of so... My old guirat got smashed by a friend in a fury. Going to try a few out then will report back. I use thick strings from low e to d then electic guitar strings for the top three, this way there is depth but also bendyness. in the mean time I have been playing a 12 string with 6 strings on it; the gaps between the strings are big.
Go to Top of Page

mostasteless
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  17:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatever you do, don't settle on a martin before you try a TAYLOR. When I went to pick out my nice acoustic I assumed I would get a martin, just cause, well, theyre martins! But one strum of that Taylor 430-ce and goddamn I was blown away. Just a beautiful, completely unique sound, and it's great for fingerpicking. give it a whirl!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000