Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scalzo
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  18:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=711297480054

Newbury Comics allows you to order Christmass. States it's available tomorrow (1/16).

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  04:54:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this is great! The difference in price is 6 to 7 euros for me.
How weird, the cd from UK will be more than 21 euros, while the cd from the US is less than 15.
Don't know if you guys know where the UK, the US and the Netherlands are geographically, but that's
a nice twist. I love how the global economy, and globalization in general, work in these little markets.

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

jackruby
- FB Fan -

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  06:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Son of a Bitch! I love my Frank Black, but I only paid what I did for Christmass because I thought it was some limited, UK-only release. Now its only twelve dollars?

"Change me Mommy...I pooped my soul."

Edited by - jackruby on 01/16/2007 06:51:04
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  07:55:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah, that's the downside of it all

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  08:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackruby

Son of a Bitch! I love my Frank Black, but I only paid what I did for Christmass because I thought it was some limited, UK-only release. Now its only twelve dollars?

Yeah, I paid 15 pounds for mine (about $30?) and I don't even have it yet. Feel a little hosed.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:35:37  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
unt amazon ja!

http://www.amazon.com/Christmass-Frank-Black/dp/B000LV62AU/sr=8-1/qid=1168976037/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1916330-9452816?ie=UTF8&s=music

only 2x as much....

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  13:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there talk that the wider release would not include the DVD? Perhaps this explains the difference in prices.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  13:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never mind, I just looked at that Newbury page and it appears to include the DVD...now I'm wondering if I paid double just to get it a couple months earlier. Let's hope there's a better explanation.

Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  13:42:23  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel cheated. I'm not rich.

I suppose Frank wasn't directly involved in how Cooking Vinyl promoted this. Maybe next time someone can keep such true blue fans as us in the loop better, somehow. I buy everything--we all(?) do. Why nail us like this?

Tiny Axe (MySpace)
Me singing
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  13:59:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I understand your feelings. Have to be honest and say I thought it would end up like this.

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  14:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that it wasn't planned to be released in the States until now, explaining why we were never told about it? Maybe there's more demand than initially expected?

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  15:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's just the opposite: perhaps the orders slowed to a trickle after the initial rush and CV is doing whatever they can to get rid of the extras. Somehow smells a bit more likely to me.

edbanky, while I can understand why you feel that way, I can't imagine the intent would be to suck all the hardcore "can't wait" fans into paying top dollar and then selling off the rest for half the price. Why piss off your best customers?

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CD Universe has it for $17.55, calling it an import and saying it retails for $32.99. It has a Feb. 6 release date.

I wonder if it's on the U.S. iTunes Store now. (I can't check from work.)

EDIT: Nope, not on iTunes.

And aren't you havin' fun?

Edited by - coastline on 01/16/2007 18:06:37
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Water

Maybe it's just the opposite: perhaps the orders slowed to a trickle after the initial rush and CV is doing whatever they can to get rid of the extras. Somehow smells a bit more likely to me.

edbanky, while I can understand why you feel that way, I can't imagine the intent would be to suck all the hardcore "can't wait" fans into paying top dollar and then selling off the rest for half the price. Why piss off your best customers?

I agree that nothing predatory was intended. This recent news reminds me of how tour dates are sometimes fed out gradually. If I recall correctly, sometimes Frank's uberfans have bought the tickets hours away only to learn later that the Man would be visiting their hometown. Don't know why that is. My initial thought here was that Frank & Co. made this a UK/Old World release to compensate for gifting the North American audience with the solo acoustic and fresh FMRM new band tours. Who knows whether the folks on the other side of the pond will ever witness this line-up. Maybe Frank did know that after the UK debut of the discs we would get a US release. And maybe he did know some of us in North America and the rest of the world would jump on the import just because of our gotta-have-it attitude, but we have to understand that marketing is about much beyond the appeal to those of us here attending to this forum almost in real-time. I'm one of those grateful for my "Christmass" early at $30US, and I'm hardly a rich man. I'm gonna cut the Man some slack on this one. We've received almost three hours of new recordings in 2006, while my main man, an Oldfield-Gabriel guy, twists in the wind for years. He envies me and us our manna, for the new stuff along with boots from just about everything the Man does. No matter how we cut it we're fortunate to be tuned into a guy like Frank. Would that there were more workaholic genii. As an ignorant bungler, I really don't deserve Frank.

Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  19:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Newbury Comics also has some sweeeeeeeet ass Frank Black posters. I might throw one-a them in there too, since X-mass is so cheap.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  21:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought two Christmasses at $30 each, I'm not rich, and I don't feel cheated or put out or ripped off. This is just how music collecting works out sometimes. I once purchased a record for $40 on ebay and then, just a few days later, before it even arrived in the mail, found it for about $6 in a store. I just laughed.

In defense of all involved, it DID say in the Cooking Vinyl catalog listing that Christmass could be available from other retailers soon. This was a weird release. It was assembled quickly and released at an unusual time (which Frank said he liked, for the sake of going against convention). I see no reason to think anyone was trying to fool anyone.

Also, I do wonder if it came out only on the European label because maybe Back Porch/EMI wasn't interested. There's no good reason to only WANT it to come out in Europe. But I don't know.

Edited by - Jason on 01/16/2007 21:11:51
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  04:25:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think Jason is right, still a bit of a let down for the US fans. Let's not forget that due to the weak dollar and the strong pound sterling the price difference is so high. It's not like CV makes more profit when they sell it to somebody outside the UK, right?

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  04:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe (hopefully) if this is a second run of discs, the DVD has been tweaked to include the youtube videos. Just a thought...

MCMLXV
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu
Is it possible that it wasn't planned to be released in the States until now, explaining why we were never told about it? Maybe there's more demand than initially expected?

I suppose I don't know whether I was being optimistic or naive, but yes that may be a more likely scenario than I said.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  11:59:49  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Maybe (hopefully) if this is a second run of discs, the DVD has been tweaked to include the youtube videos. Just a thought...

MCMLXV

Now that would make me feel much, much better about all this. :)

Tiny Axe (MySpace)
Me singing
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  13:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, we'd have to buy another copy! (I would,too, even though
I've already bought two)
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  13:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, some would still end up paying for it again if that's the case. I do doubt they've changed anything though.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  17:01:50  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. I tried to order it from Cooking Vinyl, but when I used a pounds-to-dollars converter and found out that it would cost $30, I decided I should wait and see if I could get it for cheaper later on. But now I can satisfy my need for new Frank right away! Hooray!

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

Someone
- FB Fan -

94 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the frustration but i am just glad there is a new record out. Maybe it is released in this wacky way so that frank could get it out quickly. If that is the case I am glad he did it. I would rather pay a little extra than wait months for it to come out in the US. There is nothing better than your favorite artist being very prolific.
Go to Top of Page

joeyrsl
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  08:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are fanatical loons. that said, when the fuck is the damn cd available in the regular 'ol store, right here in FB's hometown of EUGENE, OREGON!!! I figure if the man lives here, he can cut us some slack. shit i dunno.. my current rate of travel to europe is once every 4 years, so i can always buy it at gatwick airport on my way home sometime. but frank, you fuckin rock. i want to to play for my wedding (to myself)..

this is the last stand, of joe schmoe
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  10:18:59  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love it, newbury comics charged my credit card twice for xmass!

yawn....

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  13:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joeyrsl

we are fanatical loons. that said, when the fuck is the damn cd available in the regular 'ol store, right here in FB's hometown of EUGENE, OREGON!!! I figure if the man lives here, he can cut us some slack. shit i dunno.. my current rate of travel to europe is once every 4 years, so i can always buy it at gatwick airport on my way home sometime. but frank, you fuckin rock. i want to to play for my wedding (to myself)..

this is the last stand, of joe schmoe

In the US, Christmass is being distributed by Junketboy, who I think deal exclusively with independent record stores.

Check their site, where there's a list of stores that they deal with. Some of these stores (probably not all of them, though) will be stocking Christmass. I bet some of them have it on their shelves already. (The only store in Eugene, OR listed is CD World. Maybe give them a call.)
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  14:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, independent stores. I bought FMRM at one of the stores listed on that site -- Independent Records in Denver. Which probably doesn't mean shit to you, joeyrsl, other than you can indeed buy Frank Black from at least one of the stores on that site. But maybe, like Jason suggests, your store in Eugene has it. Failing that, the post office did a great job delivering my Christmass present and can probably do the same for you.

And aren't you havin' fun?
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  20:19:14  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
that said, when the fuck is the damn cd available in the regular 'ol store, right here in FB's hometown of EUGENE, OREGON!!! I figure if the man lives here, he can cut us some slack.

Maybe you should just go over to his house, and ask if he has any spares. :P

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  15:56:42  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh well, i just got mine in the mail today. It cost about $32 and it took me a month to get it from Zurich. I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  10:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think so...I ordered mine on January 9 and got an email today (Jan 24) saying they just shipped it. If they had a bunch of extras to get rid of then they might have acted faster...

It has only been the last couple days that I've gone to the mailbox with a true hope that it would be there (7-14 business days from Jan 9). Now I've got to wait 7-14 MORE "business" days....F#$%, F@^%, F$&*!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  10:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
F%&*!!
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  11:30:04  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got mine with no hassels from Newberry. And man...I've been spinning that disc non-stop. Frank is reaching whole new levels yet again. And I have to stay that I enjoy these new songs more than his last couple albums.

Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  12:52:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
fast shipping from newberry comics. Less than a week
what suprises me is that it's a cooking vinyl release
so I got a english import via the united states
and still it's 7 euro's cheaper than direct from cooking vinyl

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  00:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just got this yesterday. it is far and away my most cherished frank album now. it is beautiful. frank as frank, not seen through the goggles of pixies, the catholics, nashville, edf.

and the new songs are perfectly performed, recorded, written. each one is his best song, just like the earlier days!

not that i don't LOVE his last two albums, but it's nice to know he can still go back and do this kind of shit. now i can happily enjoy it all!

i like how nadine sounds like a gypsy folk song, how i burn today seems to be lifted off of blonde on blonde, how the whole thing seems like a lost tom waits album.

best release of the year.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000