Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  22:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also love this track, the first FB album I ever heard was FB&C's debut album with the all my ghosts single included, featuring all my ghosts, living on soul, humboldt country massacre and changing of the guards. Those four songs alone pretty much hooked me. But it was the lyrics on this track that really stood out. I recall going through not so good times and Id think yeah "im living on soul". Great thread, thought id show my appreciation.
Go to Top of Page

Lokikun
- FB Fan -

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  18:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always took the 'lucky sevens' and 'grandmother's curse' line to reference sex linked genetic traits. Let's use colourblindness as an example. If the grandmother was colourblind (XcXc) and the grandfather had normal vision (XCY0) then 100% of the daughters would be carriers of the colourblind gene while having normal vision themselves (XCXc) and 100% of the sons would be colourblind (XcY0). Then if one of these daughters had children with a 'normal vision' male it would break down like this: if the child is female, she has 50% chance of being normal vision non-carrier, and a 50% chance of being normal vision carrier; if the child is male then he has a 50% chance of having normal vision and 50% chance of being colourblind.

I think of that verse as being about an unlucky male recipiant of a sex-linked disorder and the 'lucky sevens' being a sarcastic comment about his bad luck. At first I thought the verse was about early humans (sloth; loin cloth), but now I lean toward it being more modern. "He's got a new loin cloth" could refer to modern clothing. It could be alluding to the fact that even though we've made such apparent progress in the modern world, we're still similar to cavemen in terms of our basic needs/drives.

This could tie into the rest of the song as well...Instead of bringing destruction to our neighbors via a stone axe and a crushing blow, we've progressed to the point that we can destroy others by rapidly releasing the energy gained from splitting an atom.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  05:26:03  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this is interesting on PL-1

http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/course.des/cis400/pl1/pl1.html

It was introduced long after Bikini Atoll, but it still fits in the theme of us blowing ourselves up and having to/being better off just "living on soul".

Excellent thread, by the way. Great thoughts and needless to say, great song.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  06:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

this is interesting on PL-1

http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/course.des/cis400/pl1/pl1.html

It was introduced long after Bikini Atoll, but it still fits in the theme of us blowing ourselves up and having to/being better off just "living on soul".

Excellent thread, by the way. Great thoughts and needless to say, great song.

Interesting that Marathon Oil used PL/1. My aunt worked there in the early '80s, and when they retired the computers that used little cards with holes punched in them to store information, she brought home thousands of the cards. She gave us a bunch and we used them for at least 10 years -- for grocery lists, bookmarks, etc. Anyway, this has practically nothing to do with the song, but I do wonder if those punch cards immediately pre-dated PL/1 or what. I wish I still had one of those cards so I could post a pic.

There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

myshutup
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I registered so I could say this. This song makes me think of Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen comics. No idea what it's actually about.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  23:14:23  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are so many threads for this song!

Towards the discussion of meaning here, antiknock contains lead, which could prove useful in protecting oneself against radiation.

I'm trying to find a superhero that matches this song, see this previously linked youtube video that discusses Swamp Thing, which fits the Monster/Proto-Human line.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/13/2007 23:15:09
Go to Top of Page

pioneers parrot
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  20:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I'd miss pizza too much

Does this phrase mean something special in the English language? If so, it could be the key to the song...

I kid because I love, fbc. Actually, I kid because I can relate. I'd miss pizza, too, and ice cream and salty snacks and anything in the cocktail food group.

As for the matter at hand, before reading this thread, I had little idea what "Livin' on Soul" was about. Now... well, now I just find it mysterious.

Polly want a cheeto? Damn straight I say, my good man! Why, squawk, I say.

Edited by - pioneers parrot on 09/20/2007 20:28:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000