Mr. David Thomas and the Two Pale Boys
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  00:48:59  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ubuprojex.net" target="_blank">I just stole the latest as in 2004 Thomas and Pale Boys album 18 monkey s on a dead man s chest and it is possibly the best album I ve heard in a long time. It s crazy as shit, but in a good psycho way, if that s possible. Talented dudes.. so here is the actual question: br / br / In today s day and age, with the internet and all that, how do you give back to artists who deserve it? br / br / To be honest, I find it hard to give back to artists by buying albums that I already own in the stolen sense . Difficult question, but here are my solutions: 1 Entertainers should entertain more. Tour like Frank. Make money from the road like in the old days of the entertainership, if that s a word. 2 Vinyl baby. Something that will hold value cuz cds are shit and I hope my kids never buy a single one. Art is too small and they get fucked easily. Rant over. br / br / Cheers to the greatest forum on the internet, br / br / 1c br / br / aside: Pere Ubu/Dave Thomas: [url}http://www.ubuprojex.net
This shit was interesting.. it includes David's philosophy on touring, art, and whatever (long read): http://www.ubuprojex.net/protocols.html

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  00:55:14  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just stole the latest (as in 2004) Thomas and Pale Boys album (18 monkey's on a dead man's chest) and it is possibly the best album I've heard in a long time. It's crazy as shit, but in a good psycho way, if that's possible. Talented dudes.. so here is the actual question:

In today's day and age, with the internet and all that, how do you give back to artists who deserve it?

To be honest, I find it hard to 'give back to artists' by buying albums that I already 'own' (in the stolen sense). Difficult question, but here are my solutions: 1) Entertainers should entertain more. Tour like Frank. Make money from the road like in the old days of the entertainership, if that's a word. 2) Vinyl baby. Something that will hold value cuz cds are shit and I hope my kids never buy a single one. Art is too small and they get fucked easily. Rant over.

Cheers to the greatest forum on the internet,

1c

aside: Pere Ubu/Dave (edit: David, according to how he must be addressed - see following link- Reminds me of Tiven) Thomas: http://www.ubuprojex.net

another: This shit was interesting.. it includes David's philosophy on touring, art, and whatever (long read): http://www.ubuprojex.net/protocols.html

Edited by - theonecontender on 11/22/2006 01:13:52
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  00:57:51  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So it seems I can't edit my first post.. or so it goes. Hi all!
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  00:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- David Thomas really has something to say and demonstrate on stage.
- Stage, you still can't download yourself in concerts (time will come...)
- This forum is not greatest, the artist it is devoted to is grand.

- Fans are potencialy dangerous, but hopefully they are fans and stay in front of their computer mostly.

- Rock'n roll is here to stay.

++++
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  06:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My take on this:
I like music enough that I'm willing to pay for it. If you like the album, you should, too. If you are totally unenthused by the idea of paying for an album that you've just "stolen", maybe consider the cost of the CD to be a "tip" or something.

Pop culture right now is as bad as (or worse than) it's ever been. This is a time to be supporting the good guys out there who producing GOOD stuff (and supporting the stores that sell it) by buying it. Ever since I started making good money I spend anywhere from $50 to $100 each week on NEW CDs and records. I want the musicians I like to keep doing what they do and I want the labels that have the good taste to put out their work to know that someone's listening. If I REALLY like a record, I'll even buy it on both formats (when available) just say to the artist/label/store "Hey thanks. More of this, please."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000