Kim Deal and Kurt Cobain photo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MMike
- FB Fan -

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  07:25:56  Show Profile  Visit MMike's Homepage  Click to see MMike's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I had a photo of Kim Deal and Kurt Cobain together. I've googled around and looked through the forum trying to find it again but with out success.
Would someone please post it?
Thank you very much.

---------------------------
In heaven everything is fine

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  09:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were a few photos-it was the cover story for the (now defunct NME sister magazine) Melody Maker's Christmas 1993 issue. I'll have to dig if out. I found the cover and a shot that, if memory serves, wasn't used in the article:

Here's the interview:

http://www.nirvanaclub.com/index.php?section=info/articles&file=12.25.93.html

or:

http://www.nirvanafreak.net/art/art15.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  10:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I assumed it was this one he was on about. Forgot to look though (or perhaps I just knew Carl would post it)

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  11:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if Kurt loved the Pixies so much, how come him and Frank never became buddies?

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  12:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

So if Kurt loved the Pixies so much, how come him and Frank never became buddies?

maybe I'll kick it

Easy, because obviously Kurt and Kim were buddies.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  12:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kurt was too nervous to meet frank or something

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
Go to Top of Page

fooltheworld
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Visit fooltheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The story goes as told to me by management that...

Kurt was sitting in a bar at the hotel where the band (pixies) were staying on tour. Kurt and Pixies manager where having a drink and Charles walked into the bar. Manager asks Kurt if he wants to meet Charles and Kurt goes all red, gets very nervous and says "I couldn't... I can't." Charles walked out of the bar and Kurt went back to his room.

Another tid bit that didn't make it into the book.

Fyi. I happen to love that story.

www.fooltheworldbook.com
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  05:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww, bless.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  10:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting. Apparently, Kurt switched the names around on reserved tables backstage at some festival dinner thing or something, so that Frank could sit next to The Ramones! Didn't he set a fire extinguisher off onstage when The Pixies played some festival or something like that?!

Go to Top of Page

MMike
- FB Fan -

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  13:35:48  Show Profile  Visit MMike's Homepage  Click to see MMike's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Carl. That was the pictures I were thinking of.

Heh, cute story. The one about Frank and Kurt in the bar.

Edit: Oh, also, I have a small question, not at all related to this, but I don't like starting too many threads so I thought I'd ask it here anyway.

I just got one of the new DVDs, the Club Date: Live At The Paradise In Boston one (is the other one worth getting by the way? The acoustic? I really enjoyed the one I got so I'm thinking about it). And I was wondering about the song "All around the world". I've never heard them playing it before. It's a cover right? Who made the original? Does The Pixies play it on any other release?

Edited by - MMike on 10/31/2006 13:44:25
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  15:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how often the Pixies have played All Around the World but I think it's Frank's interpretation of a traditional folk song so I'm not sure if it's technically a 'cover'.
He recorded it for 'Honeycomb' but it was left off the final tracklisting.

Frank asked the rest of the Pixies if they were willing to learn a traditional folk song for their appearance at the Newport Folk Festival (in the extras on the acoustic DVD you can see them rehearsing it), so that's why All Around the World was played. I think they've played it a couple of times live since but there's no Pixies studio recording of it.

Finally, the Newport Acoustic DVD is definitely worth getting. It's interesting to hear how they convert some of their classic songs to an acoustic sound and basically it's just pretty different to any other Pixies show.

Hope this has helped in some way.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

MMike
- FB Fan -

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  18:22:57  Show Profile  Visit MMike's Homepage  Click to see MMike's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you a lot, Pixiestu, that helped a lot.

If it's a traditional folk song I wonder if any other "famous" band or artists have played it. I'd love to hear any kind of recording of the song. Not just from The Pixies.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  05:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

I'm not sure how often the Pixies have played All Around the World but I think it's Frank's interpretation of a traditional folk song so I'm not sure if it's technically a 'cover'.
He recorded it for 'Honeycomb' but it was left off the final tracklisting.

Frank asked the rest of the Pixies if they were willing to learn a traditional folk song for their appearance at the Newport Folk Festival (in the extras on the acoustic DVD you can see them rehearsing it), so that's why All Around the World was played. I think they've played it a couple of times live since but there's no Pixies studio recording of it.

Finally, the Newport Acoustic DVD is definitely worth getting. It's interesting to hear how they convert some of their classic songs to an acoustic sound and basically it's just pretty different to any other Pixies show.

Hope this has helped in some way.

"The arc of triumph"

I can't believe you didn't think it was an Oasis cover ; )

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  09:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.indiana.edu/~glbtlib/wp/?p=50

Is this your blog, Homers?!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MMike

Yes, thank you a lot, Pixiestu, that helped a lot.

If it's a traditional folk song I wonder if any other "famous" band or artists have played it. I'd love to hear any kind of recording of the song. Not just from The Pixies.

I have a fine solo guitar and voice recording of this by a guy named Lightin' Wells. Its on his album Ragged But Right, which is available on iTunes - the track on the album is labeled "I've Been All Around This World."

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  05:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

http://www.indiana.edu/~glbtlib/wp/?p=50

Is this your blog, Homers?!

Yeah but she is my crush of my life.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  09:55:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She's a stunner!

Carl, thanks for the link to homer's blog. The YouTube vid is too cool.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  07:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone's been getting their Kim's mixed up:

http://www.thephoenix.com/WordUp/PermaLink.aspx?guid=50cb9759-4fea-41f8-b812-f6c690044f67
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000