Baboon S/T
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  09:30:55  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today, 10-10-06, is the release of their S/T CD.

Baboonland

Baboon MySpace. To listen to some tunes.

Indie Merch Store to order Baboon's new CD, or old ones.

The track list is as follows:

Into the Sea
Arms Around the World
The Light of the Lightning Strike
Airplane
Waiting for the Rain
Accidents
Can't be Wrong
Breaking Glass Right click, Save as.
Surround
Circles
Dracula Eyes
Saturday

I love these guys. It's a shame they are unsigned. You can listen to three of the new songs on their My Space page. The cd should be on iTunes soon to sample more songs.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  09:39:29  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are playing this Friday in Dallas at The Granada Theater. It's there CD release show with the Deathray Davies, DARYL, and Pleasant Grove.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried to have a listen but their myspace site is really playing up for me.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  09:18:58  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Reviews

http://www.thetripwire.com/reviews/2006/9/27/baboon-i-baboon-i-unsigned

http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2006-10-12/music/hearthere_print.html

Saw the Chuck Norris thread and it rememinded me of a connection he had with Baboon.
http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/1996-02-22/music/music_print.html
[excerpt]
Walker and C.D. figure out the young woman was a Baboon fan by searching her bedroom and discovering the band's 1994 CD, Face Down in Turpentine, in her stereo. When Walker plays the disc, a short burst of the song "Master Salvatoris" sends the lawmen into a state of agony.

"What the hell was that?" a startled C.D. asks Walker.

"Baboon," Walker answers.

"Guess I'm too many generations removed," says the crusty old C.D. "Funny thing. You wouldn't think a girl like that would listen to crap like that."

To which Walker replies: "Like you said, C.D., it's a different generation."

The trail ultimately leads the dynamic duo to Trees, where they stumble upon a motley assemblage of clubgoers moshing to Baboon.

Edited by - Thomas on 10/14/2006 20:16:33
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  10:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That cd cover is ssssssscary!
Go to Top of Page

blue cadet3
- FB Fan -

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  10:31:41  Show Profile  Visit blue cadet3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in Fort Worth and have been listening to Baboon for years. They were the 1st local band that I ever went to see. I was 15 years old. Do you work for Baboon or are you fan? I've listened to the new cd and it sounds great. My band has played 2 Fry Street Fairs with them and have tried to set up another show with them.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  17:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to this show tonight, but mainly because I'm friends with one of the guys in Pleasant Grove. Blue Cadet3, do you know if there was a guy named Sam McCall in Baboon at one time? If so, he was an elementary school friend and taught me how to play my first Led Zeppelin song on guitar! I thought at one time he played bass for them...was a red-headed guy, really smart.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  19:01:25  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Stuff I found on Sam and Baboon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Me_%28Baboon_single%29

http://www.baboonland.com/hist_97-99.htm

Edited by - Thomas on 10/13/2006 20:09:21
Go to Top of Page

blue cadet3
- FB Fan -

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  19:26:12  Show Profile  Visit blue cadet3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Superabounder I don't ever remember seeing Sam McCall playing in Baboon but, I know he played in Brutal Juice which was another cool band around that same time.

-I want to be your Kingpin-
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  00:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...I was mixing those up somehow, though he did have ties to both of them. Thanks for the info.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blue cadet3

I live in Fort Worth and have been listening to Baboon for years. They were the 1st local band that I ever went to see. I was 15 years old. Do you work for Baboon or are you fan? I've listened to the new cd and it sounds great. My band has played 2 Fry Street Fairs with them and have tried to set up another show with them.

I’m Just a fan. I guess it could be misconstrued that I work for the band, but I don’t. I really think their new music is too damn good to keep to myself. I just wish I was able to see them live, but they seem to be stuck in Texas playing local shows.

I found out about them on the old Toadies BBS. They, Baboon, where talked about constantly, but I’d never heard their music. When I heard ‘Secret Robot Control’ I wasn’t impressed at all. It was only after hearing ‘We Sing and Play’ that I became a fan. A lot of people who have heard of them, mostly from Texas, still think they play ‘noise rock’, which isn’t a fare label anymore.

Superabounder how was the show? Did you stay for Baboon? I have Pleasant Groves’ S/T EP that someone, can’t remember who , was nice enough to burn me a copy of. My favorite song was ‘Solid System’. I used it in a CD mix awhile back.

Another review of Baboon.
http://samred.com/bigdlittled/feat1013.html

Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  18:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Thomas...I made it to just the Pleasant Grove and DaryL portions of the show, but had to leave before the Deathray Davies and Baboon played to go get a late dinner. Looked like a good crowd was filtering in by the time we left around 11:00. I was disappointed to miss both of them since I've never seen either of them before.

Go to Top of Page

blue cadet3
- FB Fan -

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  15:17:24  Show Profile  Visit blue cadet3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Baboon is having a cd release show in Fort Worth at the Wreck Room and my band, the cut*off, will be playing with them. The show will be Saturday Nov. 18th and we will be playing at 9:30 pm. Baboon comes on around midnight. It should be a good time.

Here are links to hear the band's music:
http://www.myspace.com/baboon
http://www.myspace.com/thecutoff
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  11:02:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK I know it's been 5 years but I'm OBSESSED with this record.

Thomas, you still hang around here? I need some help to buy their records, can't find them anywhere, even on Amazon. Also, does the band still exist?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  14:02:34  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How did you find this? The search system at fb.net is all but broke.

I too am still obsessed with this album. It has topped Surfer Rosa as my desert island disc. According to their wiki page they are still a band. They hardly leave their state of Texas to play live shows.

Here are two live recoredings from 5/29/2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oM5zJz11jk&feature=BF&list=UL7HSdXrj70GE&index=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwqbe4VL1g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I do know the singer and guitar player are in another band called Boom Boom Box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTutzEopqVI&feature=related

As for finding Baboon CD's good luck. They still have their 2002 CD "something good is going to happen to you" listed at Indie Merch Store. I'd e-mail them first to see if it is available.

So when did it finally hit you that this CD was greatness. How long have you obsessed. I have most but not all CD's. I have their Silver Era Demo mp3's. I also have 7 songs of them playing as a Joy Division cover band. Ask and ye shall receive.

Edited by - Thomas on 02/08/2011 14:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  15:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha...one of my good friends is in Boom Boom Box! The bass player Tony Hormillosa.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When will the BBBox release their first CD?

quote:
Originally posted by Superabounder

Haha...one of my good friends is in Boom Boom Box! The bass player Tony Hormillosa.

Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  18:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've finished recording it but it hasn't been mastered yet. Got a copy today and have had a first listen but need to spin it a few more times to see if it grows on me. So far, the few times I've seen BBBox play I haven't liked them that much. The cd sounds more interesting to me but like I said not completely enthralled yet after 1st listen. Tony said it was really good though: produced by a guy who produced the Walkmen and Explosions in the sky.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  02:53:20  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you know Baboon still exists? And after 4 years I'm still amazed by that record. Still haven't found the CD though

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baboon-official-band-page/157201044375220

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  12:46:36  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't read my comments. I sound like a little girl. But boy do I still love this album.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  13:34:23  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Baboon - Saturday

Baboon - 012 Seconds

Edited by - Thomas on 05/08/2014 13:38:43
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  22:47:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought the Boom Boom Box album. It's really good. Took me a few listens to appreciate it but I love it. It's about halfway between Baboon and Echo + Bunnymen.

I also bought the first Baboon record (Turpentine) but didn't think much of it. I'll give it another try.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  01:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sort of related.

i just found out that the Toadies put out a new record...

...TWO YEARS AGO!

you really dropped the ball on that one, Thomas!!

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  19:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm amazed at the way the years pass and the forum is still plugging along. I'm also impressed that Denis listens to Boom Boom Box! My friend Tony from Boom Boom Box just played the Toadies Dia de los Toadies festival a few weeks ago in his other band Pleasant Grove. I saw pictures from the day but didn't get to go. Looked outstanding. Not sure about the status of Boom Boom Box. Haven't spoken to him in a while.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000