Dog In The Sand (the song)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  06:44:24  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While doing my FB lullaby compilation I listened to Dog in the Sand, and suddenly realized the song has background vocals, on the last line of each verse ("I want to go back"...). I had never noticed. Almost sounds like double vocals by Frank but I believe there weren't any edits or overdubs on the album, right? I wonder who does the background vocals. Anyway it sounds even more awesome than before. Oh how I love it when I discover new things about songs I've heard a billion times before... Same thing happened when I first heard the "This ain't the plaaaanet" line on Planet of Sound, after a thousand listens.

Denis

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  07:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny, I just noticed "This ain't the plaaaanet" last week for the first time, too. Actually, I was listening to the cover on Hey that whoever it was did and they have a high up part in there that I thought was just a guitar/synth riff and finally noticed it was someone saying that with effects. Then I thought, well, I'm pretty sure that riff is in the original and went back and sure enough, there it was. I'd heard it but never decoded I guess...

Now I'll have to go listen to DITS again. Which is fine by me.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  08:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
crazy you only found the planet of sound thing cof, but i remember it took me a while. now it's weird, when i listen to it (and other songs that have 'hidden' stuff) i think, how could i not have heard that at first? and when i'm playing it in a room of people who've never heard it, i think... wow... are they really not hearing what i'm hearing?

i'll check out the DITS thing now!

FAST_MAN RAIDER_MAN - June 19th

Edited by - PixieSteve on 10/06/2006 08:18:19
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  09:13:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that Dave mcCaffrey
he sounds like Frank that's true
he sounds like him on 85 weeks and Dog Gone too (if you ask me)

and Frank surely sounds doubled on the song Black Letter Day

as for the 'this ain't a planet', that took me some years

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  09:16:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Without much thought I always presumed it was double Frank, but now that you mention the no edits and knowing d.i.t.s was recorded live-to-2-track...

I say Joey (come on, you never know)

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  10:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's totally McDave.

If anybody needs me I'll be in the "Pistolero (the song) Appreciation" drooling over the "meows."

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  10:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Pistolero" the song??? I assume you must be talking about "Western Star"?

¡Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  12:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the whole album and specifically that song, in which McDave's background vocals yet again so perfectly complement Frank's. Sigh.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  12:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Specifically Western Star you mean. There is no Pistolero (the song) is what I think NS is saying.

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  12:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the quiet echoes (overdubs) on IS SHE WEIRD. ...is fancy...is fancy... and ...ripshit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel dumb. I can't hear the double voice on DITS, and I'm certain I never would have discovered the thing in Planet of Sound. Still, I've just fallen in love all over again with both these songs, as a result of listening to them very closely.

Maybe she'll park, and I'll drive.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  14:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone hear the finger slide on string sound at 2:53. It almost sounds like a dog in the distance and it's right after "Give your dog a bone". A very cool little bit of serendipity. Or else my overactive imagination.

Great ears on the I Want to Go Back, Denis. I never would've caught that.

Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  11:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I hear the double vocal on DITS, but only on the first "I want to go back". I don't hear it again. Which other lines can you hear it on?

and as for "This ain't the plaaanet", I hear a very obvious vocal of this that kicks in just before "This ain't no rock and roll town" and repeats 4 times, then comes back in the next verse. I can't imagine this is the "hidden stuff" you're talking about...? i certainly hear a lot of odd sounds and effects in the background, what should i be listening for? confused

and as for the dog in the distance, sorry, can't hear that one

this and all my other difficiencies could be because i just listened on an IPOD, maybe i've got to grab the discs
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  13:40:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

OK, I hear the double vocal on DITS, but only on the first "I want to go back". I don't hear it again. Which other lines can you hear it on?

Have to listen to it again but I think the last line of each verse has background vocals ("I want to go back" / "Kill it with your shoes" / "This is your new home").

quote:

and as for "This ain't the plaaanet", I hear a very obvious vocal of this that kicks in just before "This ain't no rock and roll town" and repeats 4 times, then comes back in the next verse. I can't imagine this is the "hidden stuff" you're talking about...? i certainly hear a lot of odd sounds and effects in the background, what should i be listening for? confused

Yeah, that's what we're talking about? As PixieSteve said, it's really obvious but for some reason it took some of us a while to realize it.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  14:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey denis, at the beginning of this thread you mention your FB lullaby compilation...I've got a 15 month old and the thought of making one of those has crossed my mind (unfortunately too busy/lazy). just wondering what was included on your compilation? the first things that come to mind are from the last 2 albums...Violet, Lone Child (my son was born the day Honeycomb was released, i used to play him this when he was a month old...), maybe Dark End of the Street, Don't Cry That Way, My Terrible Ways. Obviously you considered Dog in the Sand, maybe also I'll Be Blue...there are a few from BLD that almost fit the bill, but aren't quite lullabys. I guess it also depends on if you wanted to give the lyrics any consideration or just the overall tone/mood of the music.

anyway, just wondering
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  14:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neptune,
I've got a 16 month old and have thought about the same. The most obvious track would be "Sleep" from the unreleased SSMVGD album.
I'm also curious to see what denis included.
-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  05:13:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tracklist is unordered but the songs are:

Song of the Shrimp
Atlantis
Sir Rockabye
Dog Sleep
My Life Is In Storage
I Will Run After You
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Golden Shore
Violet
Dark End Of The Street
The Real El Rey
Sleep
Coastline
True Blue
Don't Cry That Way
Dog in the Sand

and I forgot to put Wave (UK Surf). Note that the songs being in english, I didn't mind about the expletives in it (eg. in Coastline).

Listening to Atlantis while having my baby boy grab my finger made me cry a little. Awwwww...

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work. How could I have failed to think of Sir Rockabye?

I don't know "Atlantis"...i found the lyrics on the Discopedia and I guess it's the Donovan song? couldn't seem to find what release it was on, if any

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:43:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Honeycomb Japanese version.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  20:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of noticing things after you've heard a song a thousand times ... I just noticed yesterday that in La La Love You, there is a part (or two) where each of the Pixies says, in turn, "I Love You." I'd noticed that "I Love You" was said several times in that song, but just noticed that the four of them take turns saying it. For whatever reason, I hadn't noticed that before. It was one of those cool discoveries. (And then I spent 36 hours trying to remembering which damned thread this came up in so I could write this post.)

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  22:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea this is clearer after seeing it live cause Joey's gotta walk half way across the stage to Frank's mic, except in Newport apparently, and we all know how much Joey hates to move around.

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  23:48:56  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually noticed "This ain't the plaaaanet" the first time I heard "Planet of Sound". I consider it an essential part of the song, actually. It's the only time during the song that Frank actually sings a discernible melody (albeit one that consists of only 2 notes). I was extremely disappointed when I heard the 15-minute version from Frank Black Francis, on which Frank did NOT sing "this ain't the plaaaanet".

Edited by - IceCream on 10/30/2006 23:49:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000