Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  17:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) who's going???

my cousin and husband and i are going!!! it makes me so happy every time i see it on the calendar.

i am going to get there when the doors open!!!!

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  17:14:02  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I will be there. I should be healthy enough for First Ave by then, and if not, then I'm probably not going to get any better, so I mighty as well go anyway!

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  12:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very cool!!! let me know if you want to meet up before or after the show. i know i am going to be very nerdy and get there before the doors open. i am going to get as close to the stage as i can!!!!!! anyway, i am so glad you're going no matter what!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  15:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone else going??? it's only about a month away!!!
Go to Top of Page

tylerj_davis
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  16:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going but it's bittersweet because Mason Jennings is playing the same night, of course I'd pick Frank over him anyday but I wish good bands would look at other calenders when they're deciding dates in Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  07:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, there's a lot of scheduling conflict that goes on. It seems like there's a set amount of people that go to shows here and if there's more than one act going on at the same time it's dead where you are.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  09:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is it just prozacrat, tylerj davis and me going to the show in minny on Fri? Bueller?
Go to Top of Page

The Happening
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  16:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be there. It'll be my first Frank Black show. Needless to say, I'm excited.
Go to Top of Page

Loterbol
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two questions for the few of you out here....

1) I'm on a tight schedule, will this event sell out or do you honestly think I could show up at 8pm and get tix at the door?

2) I am (was?) a "gigantic" Pixies fan and have seen most of Kim Deal's projects since then (The Breeders, The Amps, etc...). I however have not followed Frank Black's solo career at all . Not sure what to expect if I go tonight at all. You all seem to gush about him... do you think I will?

Thanks for the tips.

l
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  08:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you guys can make it too-- the happening and loterbol.

Loterbol, I would think that you'd be ok waiting until 8pm. Even for sold out shows I haven't had a problem getting a scalped ticket for face value.

I think you will really love the show...but that's for you to decide :)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  09:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loterbol, if you have time, I recommend checking out our Best of FB Podcast (episode 9) for some great picks from FB's solo career. I think you'll quite enjoy it, but then I'm biased.

Podcast: http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/?mode=episodes

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Loterbol
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  10:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, thanks for the responses. I'm going to *try* to make it down there, my wife offered to watch our baby so I can go. If you see a blond fellow wandering around in a black "Stone Brewing Co." button down with palm leaves, don't be afraid to say hello.
Go to Top of Page

Loterbol
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  10:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Loterbol, if you have time, I recommend checking out our Best of FB Podcast (episode 9) for some great picks from FB's solo career. I think you'll quite enjoy it, but then I'm biased.

Podcast: http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/?mode=episodes

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

Thanks Cult!
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  13:07:33  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Loterbol. If you see a gimpy guy wearing a sling, don't slap him on the shoulder to say hello. Some people feel the need to do that at concerts.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  15:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you could make it Loterbol. I will be looking for you guys... I can't get there until around 10pm. I am taking my cousin to the show, so he couldn't make until then...soooo....hopefully we'll be lucky and be able to run into each other.

Anyway if I don't see you guys at the show, I will def. be on fb.net tomorrow afternoon to post.

Yea! I can't wait!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/03/2006 17:12:44
Go to Top of Page

Loterbol
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  20:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
made it up here... t~minus 30 min to FB
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  23:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow! sorry I didn't see you or prozacrat.

I was looking for you but I didn't see anyone that met the descriptons.

that was my first non pixies frank black show and it really blew away my high expectations. every song was fantastic. i loved how the songs all flowed together.

i will post more tomorrow but I am so stunned at how amazing the entire show was. Frank Black keeps getting better and better and always tops himself. It's been said here in other threads, but Frank Black is truly hotter than ever!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/03/2006 23:16:07
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  00:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank looked and sounded great tonight. He must be at least 40 pounds lighter than last time I saw him live (almost exactly two years ago). I think he was in better voice than I've heard him since the '90s. I enjoyed the new band. Duane is a subtle/sweet guitarist. I dug the drummer -- sort of Edgar Winter meets Animal from the Muppets -- big, open mouthed, grinning drumming style. Very solid playing from everyone.

I'm a little pooped, so no eloquent comments to offer, but it was a fine show. I caught Maria Lucia's interview on The Current on my drive home from work around 5 p.m., was a fun introduction to the night.

I loved the new material. The one that referenced the Bhagvad Gita (sp) was especially catchy, and unlike his recent material (to my ear). Some drunken frat boys threatened to dampen the show at one point (what FB fan pushes people to get front and center? Idiots. Wrong concert, dudes. Another guy called me a donkey ... I really have no idea ... and later tried to pour beer on some unsuspecting person's head. He was obliterated, obviously)but overall, it was an admiring and enthusiastic crowd. Big age range, which was nice. 21-50s as far as I could tell.

I think the "new" version of "Six Sixty Six" was the best I've yet heard. The guitars fell into a hypnotic roar/hum rather than a jarring crash/jangle. Yes, those are technical terms. I haven't heard Frank scream so much in a long time. On the walk home, my girlfriend and I were pondering if he screamed more (and better) this show because it was just a screamy sort of night, or his voice is in better shape this year, or he's gotten away from screaming long enough that he can return to it with more enthusiasm.

I was surprised by the lack of "Fast Man/Raider Man" songs. I don't have a memory for set lists, but I'd say fewer than half of those songs made it. "Johnny Barleycorn," "Raider Man" (better than on record) were among those. There was a fair amount of material from throughout Frank's catalogue. A couple of Pixies tunes in the acoustic intro before the band came out ... "Nimrod's Son" was one. The acoustic part of the set was rapid fire, one after the other. A solid two hours of music, no dead air, no encores.

If anyone recorded the show, I'd love to get a copy. I've yet to have a bootleg of an FB show I actually attended.

Go to Top of Page

The Happening
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  00:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acoustic set:
Nimrod's Son
California Bound
Los Angeles (Stopped a little early so Frank could find out what everyone was cheering about)
The Water
Cactus
My Life is in Storage

Actually I'm not sure about the arrangement of the middle songs. The full band list was pretty identicle to the ones from the previous nights. Six Sixty Six was incredible.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  01:41:38  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Holy shit. That's all I have to say.

Go to Top of Page

Loterbol
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  16:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree... really a great show. I also got a kick out of his drummer. Thanks for pushing me to go.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  17:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To be honest, I think this was the best show I have ever been to. It was very special because I was right there up front. It’s not every day you get to see your favorite artist in such and intimate setting.

The Reid Pailey Trio was a treat. They were down to just Reid and the bassist but had a great preformance. I have never heard Reid before. His voice really amazed me and it evoked a true old blues tradition. I thought it was cool because you wouldn’t expect by looking at him that he would sound so deep and soulful.

Triakel, I know what you mean about those guys. Most of them were so ****faced they couldn’t stand up right. Before the show their designated driver was apologizing for them. He said they had been drinking all day. Two of them heckled Reid and it was really annoying. Then one of them during Frank kept pounding on the metal barricade and really took away from the sound. Another one kept making these weird gestures like if he was attempting to use sign language to talk to the band. Strange. Anyway, as annoying as those guys were, I still had a great time. But, for those who are going to Winnepeg, I heard two of them talking about going to that show as well- so watch out.

As far as the show goes, like I said before, Frank Black is hotter than ever. I loved how the acoustic set was basically a sampler of songs from his entire career.

The contrast between the acoustic set and the electric set was amazing.

I was very impressed with the chops of the band. They were all very professional, highly skilled and just plain out rocked! I loved watching all of them play and just admire all of their skill. I guess anyone that has seen them this tour is knows just how good they sound. Right now I am having a really hard time conveying through writing how good this show was. Hopefully, later I will grasp the words to describe how amazing the whole show was.

All I have to say, if you have yet to see Frank Black yet this tour- get up really close (or really anywhere for this matter) and you will just be blown away and this show will be one of the top if not the top show you have ever seen!!

Frank Black rules!!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/04/2006 17:57:59
Go to Top of Page

The Happening
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  20:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone remember what song it was that Frank let out that beastly scream? Was it "That Burnt Out Rock 'N Roll"? Shivers ran up and down my body when he let that one out.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  21:03:18  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ten Percenter had some good screams in it, and Six Sixty-Six had those progressively violent screams that left the crowd screaming in return.

Go to Top of Page

HeroJuan
- FB Fan -

37 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  06:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved it when he kicked off his electric set with a cover of Re-Make/Re-Model by Roxy Music. That show was in my top 3 best shows of all time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000