New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  23:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone who cant go to a frank show because of age limit bitch and moan here. im missing frank in toronto cause of the 19+ thing and i need to get that off my chest. arg. stupid being 16.

i invite everyone to bitch and moan.

oh in no way am i directing my anger at mr. black. god bless him for the abundance of shows he is doing. damn the clubs.

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  01:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for what it's worth, i'm almost 3 times 16 and i think it sucks, too. totally unfair. probably has to do with liability and legal stuff. hang in there, young man. frank should be touring in 3 years when you're of age.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:10:06  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I've told this story before, but, when I saw the band the Dayglo Abortions when I was 18 I asked the lead singer something like, "Can you play 'Stupid Songs'?" and he said something to the effect of, "We Don't play that song anymore...and screw you for being to young to see us when we did!"

Trust me, everyday after 18 sucks exponentially more each day. If you've ever heard the expression "the days are getting shorter" the idea is this, 3 years seems like a long time to you, it's one fifth of your life, but it's not all that long to me. Three years to a 3 year-old is the eternity of existence. Remember how long car rides used to be?

For what it's worth, don't look forward and don't fret about what you haven't done or can’t do (unless you can change it), there will be plenty of time for fretting that later.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:21:50  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So the 19+ thing. Why 19? I thought the over 21 policy was because of drinkig laws, but you have to be over 19? Sounds silly to me but I know there must be a reason. At what age are you legally allowed to drive/drink and be tried as an adult in court?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:26:24  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I imagine 19 is the legal age in Canada or something. Is there such a thing in the UK?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:31:57  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It varies, it's 18 here in Manitoba and I think Alberta and Quebec. Every Spring Break and Christmas Break my favourite pub will have a few dozen young Minnesotans come up to indulge.

I think it's 19 everywhere else in Canada.

Legal age and voting age is 18, driving is 15-16, age of consent is 14 and rising.

Ages for criminal responsibility is very difficult to figure.

Edited by - hammerhands on 08/13/2006 02:36:34
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:44:27  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can go get the girl up the duff but you can't go see no Frank Black, you hear?!

I've always thought 21 was a bit harsh, so good for Canada for allowing their adult teens to have a beverage. You have to be over 18 here, Denis.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:53:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's 16 over here. Anyway, I don't think venues here have an age limit policy. You can't get into a nightclub until 16, but I haven't heard anything about concerts.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't some places get around the unfairness of "no one under 18" by putting wristbands on people who are too young to purchase alcohol and, I think, kinda segregating them to an under-18 section ... or some type of similar arrangement? That seems like a fair compromise between outright banning from entering and legal concerns about serving minors or whatever their reasons are for not allowing underaged people.

Edited by - kathryn on 08/13/2006 02:59:48
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  03:04:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is, it's usually the ones who can legally drink who cause any hassle.

I got ID'd at my local supermarket the other week. I only wanted to buy a 6 pack of Stella. I walked out empty handed. Im 28 for crying out loud, give me my beer!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  03:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
next time sneak the brewskis in your baby's diaper.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  03:19:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She walked out with her alcopops, no problem. She got a fake I.D from some kid at playgroup.

I jumped in my car / drove straight home / grabbed my driving license / drove staright back / big smile on my face / grabbed the same 6-pack beer that was waiting to be re-shelved / and walked out with a big Fuck You / Fuck You very much / with ojo rojo <cough!>

Apparantly the policy is "Think 21". If you don't look 21, prove you are. I'm 28. I think I am, I know I am.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  03:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

Don't some places get around the unfairness of "no one under 18" by putting wristbands on people who are too young to purchase alcohol and, I think, kinda segregating them to an under-18 section ... or some type of similar arrangement? That seems like a fair compromise between outright banning from entering and legal concerns about serving minors or whatever their reasons are for not allowing underaged people.

thats what they did at teh sonic youth show i was at tuesday at a different club...i really wish theyd do it at the opera house.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  04:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before recently I'd never even heard of having an age restriction for a gig. What a strange thing.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  05:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since 19 is the drinking age in Canada, this might not be the case, but if you're under 18 in the US, and the show is 18+, still try to go, because they usually aren't as strict for 18+ shows, since it's not a drinking-related restriction.

¡Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  10:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man oh man oh man. I've been let down 3 times in the past month for being underage. First, I was going to drive 7 hours for the solo show in Kentucky, when I found out that it was 21+, then I was going to travel to an Atlanta show which would have had perfect timing on a Saturday to find that it was cancelled. Now, I really want to go to the show in Savannah, and, of course, it has to be 21+. Since I won't have a car when I go to Charleston for college due to limited parking, I'm having to beg my friends to give me a ride to either the Atlanta show or Asheville show which are both on school nights of course. I think I win for the most woe.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  11:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in SK it's 19 but you are allowed to be in a place that serves alcohol so long as you cannot see any VLTs (AKA slots/gambling machines). I personally don't think the age should be that high. In fact, I think the European's relaxed model is much less hypocritical and therefore produces less cases of abuse. I would be all for either dropping the age completely or else limiting it less severely to, say, 16. I mean, what makes 18 or 19 or, good grief, 21 so magical?

I also think that when you treat people without respect they behave as though they don't deserve it anyway. Or more simply, treat 'em like children and they'll act like it.

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  11:33:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a venue by me that used to be 14/16+, which meant anyone under the age must be accompanied by an adult (21 though, not 18, i think).

Am I way off the mark by thinking age restriction is only to do with serving alcohol on the premises?

Fingers crossed you get to see fB somehow Lumpy. Let me know if you can't, I have him on DvD ;)
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  21:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! If I don't, I might just take you up on that offer!
Go to Top of Page

mostasteless
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  08:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
before you give up on the show alltogether, give the venue a call and find out what its like. When I found out that the Wellfleet MA show coming up this friday was 21+, I made a post on this board asking for suggestions on how to sneak in to the venue. Surprisingly, the owner of the club himself posted in my thread, telling me that there was no way in hell that I would get in, but also informing me that I'd be able to sit outside the venue, right behind the stage, and be able to hear everything perfectly. The next best thing, I guess. Worth a shot, if you ask me...
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  09:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the first thing I did was email the people putting on the show (Tiny Team Concerts) as soon as I saw the 21+ posting. The people at Tiny Team where very nice, and said that if it were up to them they'd let me in, but the owner of savannah smiles is supposedly extremely strict about age limits and would not let me in at all under any circumstance according to the Tiny Team people. Luckily, I have friends back in Rock Hill who are traveling to the North Carolina show, so now all I need to do is find transportation to and from Rock Hill although that's going to be extremely difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  13:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some one tell frank to go apeshit on the opera house people
Go to Top of Page

kinghippo
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  21:48:46  Show Profile  Visit kinghippo's Homepage  Click to see kinghippo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Use a friends i.d. or make a fake one.

Poopy
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  11:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont have the resources unfortunatley
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drag one of your folks along and you're in like flint...

The Cult of Frank : Messed My Head...
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  21:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I just bought 2 tickets to the show in Asheville, NC. I don't even have a ride yet, but I'm THAT determined.
Go to Top of Page

Windsuitor
- FB Fan -

Finland
3 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  15:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woe to under-agers?
- No!

Woe to us who live in a country where Frank's never gonna come anyway!

That's to say, heya from Finland! :D
Frank Black isn't very well known here. In fact, I don't think you can even get all of his albums in our records stores. Pixies is a little bigger in small circles, but I don't think we'll ever have the pleasure of getting a live-show from Frank.

(Should this subject have it's own thread? Maybe...)

Please excuse the spelling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000