New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  21:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw the Twilight Singers last week and it was an amazing show.

Interested in seeing if there are other fans here, sort of seems there might be?

This species has amused itself to death.

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  21:55:32  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If he's Greg, then I know the Whigs. I like 'em. A little self-indulgent at times, but you know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Like the Voice Programmed Remedy Maker . . . this device also makes vibrational remedies from names of substances and descriptions spoken into it, but it also links to your computer and to the software we provide so you can input remedy information from your P.C or Laptop."
- White Mountain
Go to Top of Page

dr.Evil
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  23:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was, and still is, a huge Afghan Whigs fan. Dulli is king. Afghan Whigs were dark, raw and primitive - and excelled at playing depressing/aggressive soul music. Twilight Singers is more polished and a little too much at times, but still good. Dulli keeps writing the same songs again and again, but somehow he manages to do it with a nerve. He has lost some of his edge though.

---------------------------------

http://myspace.com/eviltordivel
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:19:13  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, Gentlemen is one of my favorite records ever.

I don't know much about solo Dulli. What should I check out?

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their cover of Crazy is... okay.

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  15:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1965 is my fave Afghan Whigs album. One of my favourite albums ever actually.

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  15:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never listened to the Whigs. I just know that Dulli plays a guitar part on the Foo Fighters' fisrt album.

Join the Cult Of Pob!
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  17:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yay!
friends!
^^^^^^sheesh
if ever there was a cool bone in my body, it melted when dulli smiled at me last week
quote:

I don't know much about solo Dulli. What should I check out?

i understand
it took me a while
i wanted congregation and black love and 65 and what the fuck he did a covers album? i was a little indignant. but i was young and hadn't learned and so i missed out being self righteous and harder than thou

rant

ok i would check out 'Powder Burns' and then 'amber headlights' and then 'blackberry belle' and then 'she loves you' - in that order.
powder burns, their new one, is seriously great. start with that.

and i would also check out this twilight singers bootleg from a recent show that will make you want to check ALL of that out
http://rapidshare.de/files/24134523/twilight526061.zip
http://rapidshare.de/files/24138361/singers526062.zip

if those don't work for some reason lemme know

heard an interview where he said he wanted to come back through the us in the fall after europe is done
oh i hope so, what a performer, what a live show.
wow

Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  17:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh and to clarify i now LOVE the covers album (she loves you) [imghttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002KTKHW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]
and the righteous thing was all for me, not anyone else

quote:
Their cover of Crazy is... okay.
giggle
hey...ya tried : )
quote:

1965 is my fave Afghan Whigs album. One of my favourite albums ever actually.
(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))

that one is the last one to have grown on me for the same reasons i didn't embrace the singers, but now, man, i have worn through two copies of 1965. i can't get it enough, it's sooooo sexy, it's perfectly paced and the bass and vocals just lilt off one another and i just adore that album

Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  10:15:15  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My favorite is Congregation--I think (the one with the naked lady and baby?). Then again, it was my first Whigs. It's got some rockers on't. I'm a sucker for Miles Iz Ded or secret track or whatever you wanna call it. I also like Let Me Lie To You and its mostly simple lyrics ("All alone . . . No one to play with . . Discover your lover between the legs of another . . .).

Actually, I suppose the Turn On The Water single would be my favorite release, since its B-sides are the aformentioned Miles and the Chalk Outline song.

"yeah alot fo people do lipsynch & i aint really suprised to see rihanna do it cause iv'e seen her on alot of show's where she's done it so its no suprise"
- Laker
Go to Top of Page

marcus4realius
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  10:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Backbeat, the movie, and all the songs he sang on on the soundtrack.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"This is a weird story. President Bush has apologized today for scolding a member of the White House press corps for wearing sunglasses because he found out the reporter is legally blind. ... Bush also apologized for telling physicist Stephen Hawking `to get off your lazy ass.'"
---Conan O'Brien
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  10:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to keep things balanced, somebody should start an 'I've had enough of Dulli!' thread. ;)

Join the Cult Of Pob!
Go to Top of Page

dr.Evil
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  12:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbanky

My favorite is Congregation--I think (the one with the naked lady and baby?). Then again, it was my first Whigs. It's got some rockers on't. I'm a sucker for Miles Iz Ded or secret track or whatever you wanna call it. I also like Let Me Lie To You and its mostly simple lyrics ("All alone . . . No one to play with . . Discover your lover between the legs of another . . .).

Actually, I suppose the Turn On The Water single would be my favorite release, since its B-sides are the aformentioned Miles and the Chalk Outline song.

"yeah alot fo people do lipsynch & i aint really suprised to see rihanna do it cause iv'e seen her on alot of show's where she's done it so its no suprise"
- Laker

Let me lie to you is pure genious.

---------------------------------

http://myspace.com/eviltordivel
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  15:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just to keep things balanced, somebody should start an 'I've had enough of Dulli!' thread. ;)

as long as that person kicks down their bootlegs to me I welcome such a thread!

oh so frustrating, they have wonderful DVD's that have been bootlegged and dozens and dozens of performances that people have traded and I missed the boat by about a decade and a half. As usual.

in the meantime, I have uploaded the newest whigs bootleg I found -

here we have 4.5.94
it's awesome and sexy and right up there with that 99 sweden one i love so much

http://rapidshare.de/files/24316235/whigs4.5.94partONE.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/24317440/whigs4.5.94partTWO.zip.html

dammit i can't find a setlist right now for this, have to come back to it

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000