New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  19:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the FB Database you can click a link to list all songs. One of them is called Chinese Firedrill. It doesn't say it's on any album. Does anyone know where it came from? It says it's by Mike Watt. Here's the URL:http://www.frankblack.net/songs/db.asp?mode=search&songID=159&searchString=chinese&searchCb1=Title&searchCb2=Lyrics&searchCb3=Notes&searchCb4=Quotes&searchCb5=References&searchCb6=Definitions

Bob Dole just likes to hear Bob Dole talk about Bob Dole. Bob Dole!
- Bob Dole, The Simpsons

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  19:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it. It's on the Mike Watt album Ball-Hog Or Tugboat. It's a cool song, but I could tell Frank didn't write it.

Bob Dole just likes to hear Bob Dole talk about Bob Dole. Bob Dole!
- Bob Dole, The Simpsons
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  22:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have that album. I bought it over in Holland several years ago-think I only listened to it once; maybe I should dig it out and give it another spin...

--------

"Leguman...Leguman!"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  23:32:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You definitely should. It's a great record with dozens of cool guys on it (J Mascis, Carla Bozulich, Nels Cline, Thurston Moore... Even the Eddie Vedder songs are great!)

Denis

Your team sucks
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great album. I bought it when it first came out and it was in this larger than normal package. So, I couldn't keept it in my CD holder and I have since lost it. My 3 year old son loves all things trains. So, I have the video to Big Train saved on the computer and we watch it a couple of times a week. It just shows a bunch of model trains with a good vs. evil Mike Watt driving different trains. Directed by Spike Jonze.

I saw a show in support of this album. First act was Hoovercraft which was Eddie Veder on drums, his wife on bass, and a guitarist. All instrumental experimental stuff. The next band was the introduction of a little band called Foo Fighters. This was probably only a year or so after Kurt died. Nothing of theirs had been released yet, so when they came out to a huge and thunderous appluase, Dave Grohl simply said "Calm down. For all you know, we might suck." Then launched into This is a Call. Then came out Mike Watt. The band was Mike Watt on bass, Eddie Veder and Pat Smear on guitar, and Dave Grohl on drums. They opened with Chinese Firedrill. It was an awesome show.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  15:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the video for Piss Bottle Man:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TjAAml_AtPM&search=piss%20bottle%20man

Join the Cult Of Pob!
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  15:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

It's a great album. I bought it when it first came out and it was in this larger than normal package. So, I couldn't keept it in my CD holder and I have since lost it. My 3 year old son loves all things trains. So, I have the video to Big Train saved on the computer and we watch it a couple of times a week. It just shows a bunch of model trains with a good vs. evil Mike Watt driving different trains. Directed by Spike Jonze.

I saw a show in support of this album. First act was Hoovercraft which was Eddie Veder on drums, his wife on bass, and a guitarist. All instrumental experimental stuff. The next band was the introduction of a little band called Foo Fighters. This was probably only a year or so after Kurt died. Nothing of theirs had been released yet, so when they came out to a huge and thunderous appluase, Dave Grohl simply said "Calm down. For all you know, we might suck." Then launched into This is a Call. Then came out Mike Watt. The band was Mike Watt on bass, Eddie Veder and Pat Smear on guitar, and Dave Grohl on drums. They opened with Chinese Firedrill. It was an awesome show.

Back when Dave Grohl was cool, this would have been AWESOME.

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  13:33:47  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.archive.org/details/watt1995-05-06.flac

Check the gig version of Chinese Fire Drill (and Walking The Cow for the Daniel Johnston lovers)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000