The Honeycomb songs on FMRM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  04:50:24  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else think these songs sounded better on the leaked Honeycomb than on FMRM? I'm sure Tiven and company did their best to make them fit on FMRM but to me they sound too clean. I'm especially bothered by how the kick drum is mixed, it has a nasty 'click' sound to it that makes it stand out way to much in the mix.

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  04:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think they sound great. I appreciate there's a bit of a sonic difference, but the songs sound marvellous in their new context.

It's funny how we're all hearing different things!
Go to Top of Page

markos
- FB Fan -

55 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  06:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think any of the Honeycomb leaked tracks particuarly sounded better than they do on FMRM, although it's weird the extra guitar was removed on 'Kiss my Ring'. If anything, i always thought that song sounded like it was a Catholics style rocker and was a touch too soft in the first place. And i would have loved it if 'where the wind is going' had been re-recorded as its a cool song that i think could have sounded better beefed up a bit. But these are just nit picks really.
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  07:48:16  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's what this board is about right, nit picking :) Kiss My Ring and Where The Wind... are two great songs, but they could have been a little tougher - like Johnny Barleycorn. I'm totally confused about this new album...
Go to Top of Page

StupidMe
- FB Fan -

120 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  00:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey fellow FB fans. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but can someone tell me which songs on FMRM are originally from the Honeycomb sessions?

Thanks.

Edited by - StupidMe on 06/29/2006 00:34:40
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracks 16, 17, 23 & 27.

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:28:18  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crippe

Does anyone else think these songs sounded better on the leaked Honeycomb than on FMRM?

When I heard it, I think I preferred Fastman's 'Where The Wind Is Going' 'Highway to...', but definately the other tracks sound better on the HC leaked, true.

Edited by - fbc on 06/29/2006 04:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can tell they sound different from the rest of the album, but probably only because I heard them on the leaked version and got used to how they sound.

Kind of how I got used to the Cafe Du Nord solo acoustic version of My Terrible Ways. I had great hopes for the studio version, but it didn't end sounding like I had it in my head. But if I had never heard it before, who knows...it might have been my favorite track.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they all sound better on FMRM apart from Kiss My Ring. I think the opening guitar on Highway to Lowdown (FMRM) is much better sounding than on Honeycomb.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  06:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above comment re the HWY TO LOWDOWN intro on FMRM. It's just one strum, but it makes a big improvement.

Btw I mentioned this in a previous thread also - I think the way the drum intro to FARE THEE WELL has been cut sounds terrible. It should have remained whole, as per the HC leaked version.

Edited by - 1965 on 06/29/2006 17:22:08
Go to Top of Page

StupidMe
- FB Fan -

120 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  00:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Tracks 16, 17, 23 & 27.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000