Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  22:29:38  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy friends,

I used to be johndietzel, once upon a time, here in the forums. This was the first place that came to mind when my wife and I booked our March 22 flight to Paris.

As it stands (and will remain) we plan to split our ~6 days in France between Paris/Paris metro area and the Loire (sp?) Valley. That said, does anyone have any strong recommendations? Any absolute MUSTS?

We'll hit all the usual Paris stops; we have a day set out for just the Louvre (sp?). We will visit Versailles, and have two days set aside for Disney.

KIDDING (about Disney, anyway)

As far as our tastes go, we both are excited to experience the countryside, visit the oldest possible remnants of mankind in the area, and take in as many glorious, representative chateaus as possible. Oh, and I plan to take literally thousands of photographs. I am not a pro by any means, but I take the idea very seriously.

We plan to travel by train, metro & bus, except while in the Loire, where we will have a rental car for a few days.

Places to go? Places to avoid? Any must-taste restauraunts/cafes? Without getting into American-bashing, are there any glaring (but somehow not necessarily common-sense) touristy faux pas (whatever the plural is) that we should consider?

We both plan to try our damndest to speak as much French as possible. I don't know a lick; my wife can spout off a few phrases. Not sure what else to add.

Thanks in advance. Maybe we'll run into one or two of you folks.

Oh - Last thing. Off the top of your heads, are there any major cultural events (concerts, etc) that happen to be set for between March 23 and the 27th in/near Paris?

Thanks again.

J(ohndietzel)
[edbanky]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I signed up for the FrankBlack.net forums and all I got was this lousy signature.

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Avoid Strasbourg! (just kidding Yann)

Actually, I was backpacking in France last summer, Montpellier was a nice quiet town for a day or two (max) stop, Avignon was worthy of a day trip, and really the whole south of France is beautiful in a very Mediterranean way. Not sure if you'll get there, but...

Paris. Didn't get there this time, but of course you have to get to Sacre Couer in Montmarte. I'd get the metro to Pigale station, actually, and then you can get off, take a look at the famous red-light district and the even more famous Moulin Rouge, and then stroll up the hill behind to the famed white church. The great thing, aside from maybe having lunch on the grassy hill, is on the other side of the church there's a small artists' market with lots of painters and whatever.

Get a Paris pass if you're doing lots of sites, will save you time and money. Covers Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Musee d'Orsay (some enjoy this less reputed museum more than the Louvre if that's your cup of tea), Pont Neuf/Notre Dame (I think - this is obviously a must see), and whatever you do... make sure you get to the top of the Arc d'Triomphe. Arguably cooler perspective than the Eiffel Tower, you're at the centre of the universe.

Outside of Paris is the best place to use your French. Try in Paris too of course, just don't be discouraged by snobby locals who may make comments about the butchery of their language. Trying is better than not, whatever they say, and there are those who will respect and be impressed even in Paris. Outside Paris, people seem much more friendly and we had people coming up to chat with us in several towns we visited. Of course, all people whose names start with 'd' are exempt, as they are always exceptional. :)

Really love the countryside in France. Beajoulais is a nice region for a walk/picnic. Stop at a chateau with a picnic basket in hand, grab a bottle of red from them, and stroll up to a hilltop to eat and look at the vineyards all around.

Anyway, I'm not from there (oh, and Versailles is impressive though I was too young to appreciate it/too jetlagged to care when I saw it the first time) but locals will have many more tips about Loire and must-sees I'm sure. A beautiful country, I'm sure you'll love it.

Picture from my most recent trip (maybe it'll help, maybe not):
South France/French Riviera: http://www.katsiris.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=42

Strasbourg - http://www.katsiris.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=47

Paris/Fountainbleu/Beaujolais/Pont de Gard(?)/Antibes/Monaco -
http://www.katsiris.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=47

Hope that helps. What happened to your other account, by the by?

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Narfk
- FB Fan -

France
19 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:06:16  Show Profile  Click to see Narfk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Concerning Paris, I think COF mentioned the most famous places to visit.(I didn't know this was possible to go on top of the Arc de Triomphe!) The jardin des tuileries (not far from the Louvre) is a nice place for a walk if the weather is good. If you like modern art you can go to Centre Georges Pompidou, and if you have enough time the musée Carnavalet is about Paris history.
The Chateau de Versailles is really a great one and there are many chateaux in the Loire valley, I like the one of Chambord.
Chartres is also a nice city to visit IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  04:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dinard/Deauville/Biarritz.

Honfleur is awesome.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:02:56  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bordeaux and La Rochelle are great too

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't listen to him

bordeaux is shitty

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As COF said, Musée d'Orsay is a must see.
If you want to go to the Eiffel Tower, be patient, you'll have to queue for an hour.
For a beautiful view of Paris from the Seine (Paris's river) you can also have a tour on a bateau-mouche on sunny days.
A funny and cheap place to eat is Chartier (Grands Boulevards station), an old brasserie that as typical french food.
If you want to go out at night to see the local rock scene, check out:
- http://www.flechedor.com/ free concerts in a ancient train station.
- http://www.letriptyque.com/ sometimes good concerts, affordable, trendy place but starts late.
You can also send me a e-mail i'll check out if there's interresting stuff.

Do you know where you sleep in Paris ?

Avoid Deauville. Honfleur is great.
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:44:07  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsieur

bordeaux is shitty

bah bah bah

anyway, Toulouse is THE must... of course

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toulouse is great, if you like trafic jam and fog.
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:46:57  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
trafic jam? fog?

bah bah bah... heresy!

Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

388 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  00:16:07  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Thanks so much for all the input. The only thing is, I am having trouble deciphering the level of facetiousness in some of the "bordeaux is shitty" & "anyway, Toulouse is THE must... of course" comments. I am so naive about these places, I wouldn't know if you were joking about their merits or not.

Remig:
"Avoid Deauville. Honfleur is great." Why avoid Deauville?
We are (sadly) staying at almost the cheapest 2 star hotels we could find in/near Paris, which I think turned out to be Holiday Inns. We looked into the hostel idea and decided against it, but also did not want to spoil our meager budget on fancy sleeping arrangements.

Again, THANKS so much everyone.

We borrowed a Pimsleur language CD set--short course--from the library. Maybe I'll end up being able to join the French discussion areas sometime.

I signed up for the FrankBlack.net forums and all I got was this lousy signature.
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  07:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deauville is money-land.
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

388 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:03:35  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Hope that helps. What happened to your other account, by the by?

I can still use it, but I decided to honor the real John Dietzel (a buddy of mine) by switching to a fictional name. Apparently he needs his name back or something. Oh, and Dave says there's no way to "transfer" the account or its history, so--ba bum!

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbanky
We looked into the hostel idea and decided against it, but also did not want to spoil our meager budget on fancy sleeping arrangements.

one great way to save money on sleeping arrangements is to stay with Monsieur's mom.

as for the Louvre, i guess you kind of have to see it if you're in Paris, but i would suggest possibly skipping it. the crowds and the lines can be unbearable. and since you have limited time, you don't want to be stuck in line on your vacation.

if you like museums you should check out the Pompidou center, http://www.cnac-gp.fr/Pompidou/Accueil.nsf/tunnel?OpenForm i liked that a lot. around the outside area are lots of crazy people and performance artists and stuff. cool to check out.

Eiffel Tower is definitely worth it, despite the tourist crowds..

don't pressure yourself to see too much. part of the enjoyment of Paris is just walking around and appreciating the view. and being treated rudely by French people.

enjoy!

Edited by - floop on 02/25/2006 16:00:48
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  16:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of the Pompidou, if i lived in Paris i'd be checking some of these out:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O22D314BC

love to see this too

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I53D234BC
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  16:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
We looked into the hostel idea and decided against it, but also did not want to spoil our meager budget on fancy sleeping arrangements.

one great way to save money on sleeping arrangements is to stay with Monsieur's mom.

if you like museums you should check out.........

I think you already made the recommendation.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

388 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  23:17:37  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Foolp, when did you go to Paris, and who the hell funded the trip?

Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  04:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

His father funded the trip, with the money he got by producing the latest Elis Hooks record.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  11:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i've been to gay paris twice. once when i was a young lad doing the backpacking thing. and then a few years ago with my girlfriend. both self funded
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  12:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsieur

quote:

His father funded the trip, with the money he got by producing the latest Elis Hooks record.

Alright, possibly the funniest thing I've read on here in a while.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some things I can't get used to you need to know before visiting our beautiful country:

Southerners are hospitable
Easterners are polite
Northerners are polite and hospitable
Parisians are neither polite nor hospitable

Good luck ;)

-----

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 02/26/2006 13:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yann, can you resize your photo to have a height of 75 pixels or less? Very nice wine label, though. Wonder if Frank has had it?

Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

388 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:36:17  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I am noticing a theme on the Paris attitude. It's probably good we'll have other spots on which to base our impressions of French people!

Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I am noticing a theme on the Paris attitude. It's probably good we'll have other spots on which to base our impressions of French people!

Don't listen to those provincial peasants, they are just too impressed when they meet us parisians, so they tend to think we are distant and unpolite, which is oh so untrue.

To people who get to meet their high intellectual standards, parisians will appear as a cheerful and loving population.

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I refer you to the discussion about Parisian taxi drivers over at the Espace francophone. High intellectual standards indeed.

--> FREE MUSIC <--
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  14:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jediroller

May I refer you to the discussion about Parisian taxi drivers over at the Espace francophone. High intellectual standards indeed.

--> FREE MUSIC <--

Ouais t'as vu un peu.

On est comme ça à Paris.

Pas de pitié pour les ignorants.

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  23:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Yann, can you resize your photo to have a height of 75 pixels or less?

Is it OK now? A smaller image would be almost invisible / illegible :(

-----
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  06:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, sorry. :( You could trim out the words, leave the picture, and then put the words to the right. But 75 pix is max height.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  08:20:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey. If you're here for 6 days only I don't see the point of recommending cities distant from Paris. The Loire castles are great, I love this region. The best ones IMO are Chambord (take some time to walk around the park and in the wood, lots of boars and deers) & Chenonceau. Amboise is kinda nice, Leonard Da Vinci is buried there. And try the local wine (Chinon rules).

If you want to see Paris from up high my vote goes to the Eiffel Tower; another good tip is to go to the terrace of the BHV (department store next to the Hotel De Ville). No waiting line and it's free, and you have a great view from up there. And you can buy your perfumes on the ground floor (just kidding, it's cheaper in the duty free stores).

If you have extra time, I second the Honfleur recommendation. Or you could go to the Mont Saint Michel which despite the crowd is absolutely stunning. It's a bit further though. But really, it's awesome.

What else. Can't say anything about good restaurants, sorry. We don't go out that much. As for pastries, you have to try the macarons at Laduree. It's very parisian and delicious. http://www.laduree.com/index_en.htm

There's a Holiday Inn next to where I live. If we run into each other you'll notice, I'm the one chasing tourists with the pitchfork.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!

Edited by - vilainde on 02/28/2006 08:25:53
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  08:30:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Mont Saint Michel made the list for my fourth visit to France, whenever that may be.

Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole northern Brittany trip is really "noteworthy": St Malo, L'Ile de Bréhat, le Cap Fréhel.

Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

388 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  10:18:29  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde
Or you could go to the Mont Saint Michel which despite the crowd is absolutely stunning. It's a bit further though. But really, it's awesome.

Yeah, you sold me on Mont Saint Michel. It seems to basically embody what I was looking for. We haven't reserved anything, but our current plan is to stay on the site, at possibly Les Terrasses Poulard. I want, absolutely, to stay in an old, stone edifice. This one overlooks the sea, and sits right on the street.

Have any of you ever stayed anywhere right on Mont Saint Michel? Any recommendations, or cautions? One advantage that posters online have claimed appears to be that in the morning/evening, you have the streets to yourself (and the handful of other lodgers).

Thanks for the suggestion. This is one stop we would never have made otherwise, and are excited to make. We are tweaking our itinerary and adding a lot of miles (ok, kilometers) to do it. Thanks again, everybody.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  03:17:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, I think you'll love the place. It's even nicer when the tides are highest, which won't be the case when you'll go, but it's not important. I've never stayed there for the night, but I think you should reserve quickly cause there aren't so many hotels there. Poulard is the most famous but it's quite expensive. Try the "Mere Poulard" butter cookies, they're fantastic.
How long do you think you'll stay there? If you have time, try to talk a guided walk in the bay, it's really nice. It can be dangerous alone because of quicksands. And if you can, as Monsieur said, go see Saint-Malo and the coast in between. I doubt you'll have time for all this though.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

388 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  21:54:35  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Cool, I think you'll love the place. It's even nicer when the tides are highest, which won't be the case when you'll go, but it's not important.

Well, the woman who confirmed our reservation (at Terraces Poulard) said we would need to park on the island because the surrounding parking would be underwater at night. So, we might get some of the tide.

We are paying through the nose for a room with a sea view; it's our lone (out of 6 nights) "splurge" for our accomodations.

Now if only the kids would quit rioting in the streets of Paris, so we can use some of them . . .

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  00:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now if only the kids would quit rioting in the streets of Paris, so we can use some of them . . .

Use the kids? France isn't Thailand, you know.

free music
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  05:56:27  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that depends on where you look. Not that I´m pointing the finger either, stuff like this gets brushed under the carpet all the time in country I was born in: http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0126,ridgeway2,26049,6.html

--

Gravy boat! Stay in the now!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000