Posted - 02/20/2006 :  16:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you think of this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/international/europe/21austria.html

I got some heaven in my head

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:02:19  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly sure I'm not correct in this because I'd think three years is harsh for it, but what else besides saying "There were no gas chambers at Auschwitz" has this man said/done?

?
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didn't even know denial was against the law in some countries. pwned!

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nazi salute is banned in Germany, as is the swastika and other things associated with Hitler and the Third Reich.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, well I can understand that. I'm not sure expressing an opinion, however retarded, is worthy of jail time unless there was a fair helping of racial/religious/etc hate doled out along with it.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think any speech short of inciting violence or revolution should be permitted. "Hate speech" should be allowed so long as it does not call for violence, with provision for civil penalties for libel and slander. Hatred prohibitions seem too open to interpretation to be fairly administered. For example, it's not difficult to imagine a society in which simply calling for an end to publicly sponsored "social welfare" programs would be prosecuted as racist and hateful.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not allowed to cause a revolution? :'(

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A fair argument and I agree with you Erebus, so long as we're still saying that there need to be limits somewhere. It's at the point here sometimes that if you suggest, for example, changing the way we deal with the native population and our history, the racist card is played. Which is garbage.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  01:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

The Nazi salute is banned in Germany, as is the swastika and other things associated with Hitler and the Third Reich.

In France too.

I think that you people tend to have a conception of law that identifies it to the rule of morality.

50 years ago the law said you had to send Jews to death camps. Now it says that denying that is a crime.

I don't agree with either, but we're better off today.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  02:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find this story utterly ridiculous. To jail someone for 3 years for expressing an historical opinion (however misguided) is pitiful. Where does it stop? Should we jail creationists for being idiots as well?

I understand what you're saying Monsieur, law and morality aren't one and the same. I think the law should generally reflect the morality of the country (or wider). Having thought about it briefly, I guess the law usually follows moral trends of the country, especially if there is enough moral outrage within the population, which may explain the laws at work in this case. But moral outrage should always be tempered by common sense.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  04:57:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this is stupid
however saying the holocaust didn't happen
is saying that 1+1=3

and yes I read David Irving
I deny that he exists

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  05:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess they don't show THAT episode of Fawlty Towers in Germany then.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  05:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> "Hate speech" should be allowed so long as it does not call for violence

surely, you can't allow people to go around lecturing teenagers, student groups, etc about hating black people for example. If they end up hating them they will discrimate against them. "Hate speech" leads to violence. What else is it for?
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  05:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is used to manipulate people to accept a society where what is inside your head is subject to law.

--

Buy your best friend flowers. Buy your lover a beer. Covet thy father. Covet thy neighbour's father. Honour thy lover's beer. Covet thy neighbour's father's wife's sister. Take her to bingo night.

Edited by - Newo on 02/21/2006 05:57:03
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  07:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lonely persuader

> "Hate speech" should be allowed so long as it does not call for violence

surely, you can't allow people to go around lecturing teenagers, student groups, etc about hating black people for example. If they end up hating them they will discrimate against them. "Hate speech" leads to violence. What else is it for?

I have a problem with lecturing captive groups like students about much of anything that involves moral or political content, though that can never be completely avoided. That said, I think it's better to have hate out in the open rather then driving it underground. Let hate be highly visible, and combat it with rational argument. When hatred is made criminal it hides and mutates into truly dangerous forms, but if allowed it shows itself for what it is and is rejected by the vast majority.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  08:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Erebus said.
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  08:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup, good argument. I am converted.

-But maybe its due to all the Sigur Ros i've been listening to today.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  13:22:29  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What Erebus said too. So if this is a predictable outcome of pushing hate underground, what does it say about the legislators?

--

Buy your best friend flowers. Buy your lover a beer. Covet thy father. Covet thy neighbour's father. Honour thy lover's beer. Covet thy neighbour's father's wife's sister. Take her to bingo night.
Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  05:17:38  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

quote:

I guess they don't show THAT episode of Fawlty Towers in Germany then.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place

When my dad was in germany they'd just showed it, and all the people who knew he was english kept shouting 'dont mention the War!' everytime he walked into a room.

But i think its a stupid decision, obviously it was callous, misguided, stupid to deny the holocaust ever happend-but really, how many people actually beleived him? If we are going to have free speach then lets have free speech, rather than locking up people who express an opinion that is not agreed with, different opinions is how society progresses, and your going to get a few bad eggs along the way.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PixieSteve, I'm afraid that using that as your signature has to go unless you can keep its height at or below 75 pixels.

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  08:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

A fair argument and I agree with you Erebus, so long as we're still saying that there need to be limits somewhere.

Yes, there have to be some limits, and that's where it gets murky when not outright opaque. If only glib principle could suffice everywhere. The real world sucks.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain that driving hate underground is necessarily worse than allowing open hate that might embolden groups and allow them to solidify their membership. Is it worse to have many people with racist thoughts that they largely keep quiet in public (in the US today) or people that openly spout racist thoughts and form public racists groups like the Klan (in the US before the 70s)?

I'm not addressing the costs of lost civil liberties caused by hate talk legislation, but rather whether erebus's claim that hate speech legislation is counterproductive is correct.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:23:43  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lenny Bruce said about the word "nigger" that it was the suppression of the word gave it its power and viciousness. Same with "hate speech", legislation does not reduce it one bit, only hides it.

Hereīs the Lenny bit:

"Are there any niggers here tonight? Could you turn on the house lights, please, and could the waiters and waitresses just stop serving, just for a second? And turn off this spot. Now what did he say? "Are there any niggers here tonight?" I know there's one nigger, because I see him back there working. Let's see, there's two niggers. And between those two niggers sits a kike. And there's another kike— that's two kikes and three niggers. And there's a spic. Right? Hmm? There's another spic. Ooh, there's a wop; there's a pollock; and, oh, a couple of greaseballs. And there's three lace-curtain Irish micks. And there's one, hip, thick, hunky, funky, boogie. Boogie boogie. Mm-hmm. I got three kikes here, do I hear five kikes? I got five kikes, do I hear six spics, I got six spics, do I hear seven niggers? I got seven niggers. Sold American. I pass with seven niggers, six spics, five micks, four kikes, three guineas, and one wop. Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness. Dig: if President Kennedy would just go on television, and say, "I would like to introduce you to all the niggers in my cabinet," and if he'd just say "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" to every nigger he saw, "boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie," "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" 'til nigger didn't mean anything anymore, then you could never make some six-year-old black kid cry because somebody called him a nigger at school."

--

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newo

Same with "hate speech", legislation does not reduce it one bit, only hides it.

I don't know if that's true. I suspect it is not.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:38:31  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You might reduce the act of speech but you donīt reduce the thought that it stems from.

--

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

PixieSteve, I'm afraid that using that as your signature has to go unless you can keep its height at or below 75 pixels.

sorry, sorted. (not sure if i want it any more... i mean it's usually on random so the top three'll eventually be the artists i have most tracks by... beatles, pixies and frank!)

Edited by - PixieSteve on 02/22/2006 09:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No prob, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newo

You might reduce the act of speech but you donīt reduce the thought that it stems from.

True, but you "drive it underground" and perhaps make it less socially acceptable. The question is whether the first one a positive or negative effect. I'm just saying I don't think "driving it underground" is necessarily a negative.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:20:50  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Take a look at what happened when the Catholic Church drove sex and talk of sex underground for their staff, they started taking it out on altar boys en masse (didnīt mean that pun).

--

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anecdotal evidence means much. Take a look at the reduction in German imperialism as facist talk has been suppressed since World War II. Of course, there are many other factors (such as economic development, NATO/Warsaw Pact) just as there are many reasons for sexual abuse by priests. I don't think any of this is good evidence that driving hateful thoughts underground is a good or bad thing. What I want (and probably doesn't exist) is data or well constructed studies.
Go to Top of Page

Fartbone
- FB Fan -

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the twin towers never fell..........now take me to jail

Horale Cabrones
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're confusing hate speech with crazy talk.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darwin, I think you're right to question my contention. I have no evidence, that's for sure. Hopefully I'll be thinking about it more. But it does occur to me that a beneficial side effect of "letting every flower bloom" is that many now-accepted and even cherished forms, once loathed and shunned, have managed take root in our culture because their early, controversial endorsement was not driven underground, at least not completely. For example, tolerance of the rights of minorities, women, and gays. Of course these are counter-examples, in that the hatred was directed against these groups and ideas (although according to the then-prevailing mindset, such things were seen as hateful of or dangerous to proper posture toward “god” or the well-ordered society). Now, I don't expect hatreds to have the same success, but perhaps some things many currently think of as demonstrating hatred may eventually be seen as wisdom. I guess the point here is that we can’t always be sure just what the future will show to have been right to repress. And I guess I’m showing faith that given the chance to make up our own minds, people will (usually) get it right, if only eventually. In the cases of racism, Nazi-ism, communism, and, yes, even Islamism, I think the prudent path is to allow expression while countering it to the best of our ability. But, as CoF has said, it is a matter of limits, such as those the Nazis crossed at some point in their beerhalls, and perhaps even devout Moslems cross when Mosques become arsenals and terrorism training cells.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bad posture floop, bad posture
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  15:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're probably right. carry on...
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  16:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was kidding. You deleted your message? I thought it was funny as hell, and not ill-intentioned at all, given the topic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000