New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  03:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...Kim Deal and the Pixies reformation...

Listenning to this beautiful song yesterday made me realise how obvious the references are... Maybe you talk about that earlier... I don't know...

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  03:45:12  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a thread about Coastline.
The more I think about the lyrics, the more I make it obvious in my head.

There’s a coastline / I’d like to go back / And if you don’t mind / I’m going to turn ‘round in my tracks / 
It’s good to be back / Down the coastline / We lost contact / And I hope that you don’t mind / I was trying to save us both some time

Cult of Frank shared the same thoughts as you:

quote:
"Maybe it even explains the Pixies reunion? Well, OK, probably not, but a case could be made... listen to it again and think about the Pixies, their split, FB's solo career, etc, and you might see some hints, but I don't really think that's what it's about. Who knows with FB?"

Show Me Your Tears in part was a product of Frank Black's time on the shrinks couch. I wonder if the Pixies were discussed and concluded as unfinished business. Even if this song has nothing to do with the band, today I believe it is. I love this song.

Edited by - fbc on 09/15/2005 03:49:46
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  04:37:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you remember in the DVD, the band are on a beach and someone mentions this being the first appearance of the Pixies (or something like that)?
Happy memories. Down at the coast.

The case thickens.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:45:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
first appearance on tv I believe, or the first videoshoot for the pixies

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:51:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the one, Bill. Nice one. The beginning of the Ps down by a coastline.
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Is it me or is Coastline about..."

You actually have listened to Frank Black?!
I'm not much of a fan of Jungle Techno, and this tends to be the best forum out there.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says 'I'd lke to save us both some time.' So that dos'nt sound like he's talking about The Pixies, and I don't think he'd be talking specifically about Deal. And SMYT came out a while before the reunion was ever considered.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:37:54  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

It says 'I'd lke to save us both some time.' So that dos'nt sound like he's talking about The Pixies, and I don't think he'd be talking specifically about Deal.

I have selective hearing. You say something, carl?

quote:
And SMYT came out a while before the reunion was ever considered.

The only time a reunion would have been possible was when Frank Black's mind was made up this was a good thing to do (financially or not). I've never been to a psychiatrist before, but I do sort of know they look into your past for answers to present issues. Maybe the shrink was a secret Pixie fan and hypnotised the Man.

"After you wake on the count of three, you will have an incredible urge to play Bone Machine. 1...2....3...wakey wakey Charles. Now show me your tears."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, okay it's about Kim Deal and that original Pixies beach (i.e 'Coastline') footage!

Carlos
"Join up, conform and wear a different uniform!"

[EDIT-Ah, fuck, I'll leave Hello Kitty in!!)

Edited by - Carl on 09/15/2005 08:45:52
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:46:00  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's better.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  09:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i always thought this was about the coast, line
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  09:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coastline is just another psychic prediction about upcoming events (New Orleans, 9-11, etc)

Search Frank Black's words and you will find truth.

WelltheresaperfectexplanationFor
theshitthatIvebeeninAssoonasIfin
doutIllletyouknowAndifitsanycons
olationWellyourhorseisgoingtowin
CausemineandalltheothersarejustT
ooslowTheresacoastlineIdliketogo 
backAndifyoudontmindImgoingtotur
nroundinmytracksItsgoodtobebackD
ownthecoastlineWelostcontactAndI 
hopethatyoudontmindIwastryingtos
aveusbothsometimeIwastryingtosav
eusbothsometime

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  18:05:09  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Meh, people say every post-Pixies Frank song is about the Pixies. I guess it's possible some are, but after a while the suggestion just starts to become ridiculous. ("I think 'Dance War' is about how Frank didn't get along with Kim!")

quote:

I haven't. I've just read the lyrics to every single song he's written. It's my secret shame.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  22:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

Meh, people say every post-Pixies Frank song is about the Pixies. I guess it's possible some are, but after a while the suggestion just starts to become ridiculous. ("I think 'Dance War' is about how Frank didn't get along with Kim!")

quote:

I haven't. I've just read the lyrics to every single song he's written. It's my secret shame.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.

I'm with you on that one VoV, read into something enough and you'll see what you want.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  01:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 years ago when I first got into Frank Black's solo stuff (just shortly after I got into the Pixies), I used to read little statements about the Pixies into Frank's songs. But now it NEVER occurs to me and I think it's funny how some people still do it. The funniest one I remember is one I still recall from years ago on the old AbstractPlain mailing list. Someone posted that they thought "Solid Gold" was about Frank's desire to get the Pixies back together. ("I'd give you solid gold just for your finger"... "Frank's saying he'll pay Kim a lot of money ('solid gold') just for her finger (her bass playing fingers!)").

Frank's written a bunch of lost love/love gone wrong/seperation songs in the past 8 years. I guess most of them could be about the Pixies if you want them to be ("Does Kim Feel Bad About It?"... Is Frank saying "Stupid Me" for letting the Pixies break up?... Frank to the Pixies: "Don't you know I switched you, switched you (for the Catholics)?").

Me, I say the ONLY song Frank's recorded that sounds like it might be a statement about the Pixies break-up wasn't even written by him. "Hang on to Your Ego", while of course written two and a half decades previously by Brian Wilson, sounds like it mighthave been chosen because some of the lines reflect how Frank may have been feeling during that time.

Edited by - Jason on 09/16/2005 01:55:07
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  02:40:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sucked in!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  07:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're reading too much into 'coastline' - the record is about a divorce, as is that song.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  07:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Broken Face said. I don't think it has a thing to do with the Pixies. I think it's about Jean, if it's about any one person at all. More than anything it just seems to capture a mood.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  07:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But also about hope and ... money. Lucky cats never lie....

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  07:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The symbols , club, heart, spade diamond are merely obvious references to... well, cards! Cards were first instruments of divination, turned into a game. Today they symbolize a side of the "prince of this world" whose blood is money...
It includes other reference to pagan religions... And this album follow Devil's Workshop.
For soMe reasons I think of Balzac and some events and characters in his "Comédie Humaine" connaisseurs should understand what I am talking about...

Ok, so let's say simply that Frank Black sold his soul to the Devil. It's frequent in rock history. It actually is what Rock'n Roll is all about.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  09:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i always thought Coastline was about killing pigs
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  10:10:45  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Me, I say the ONLY song Frank's recorded that sounds like it might be a statement about the Pixies break-up wasn't even written by him. "Hang on to Your Ego", while of course written two and a half decades previously by Brian Wilson, sounds like it mighthave been chosen because some of the lines reflect how Frank may have been feeling during that time.

I know some of the songs from Frank's first solo album were originally going to be recorded by the Pixies. Was "Ego" among them?

Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  12:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, a Pixies song talk about getting the Catholics together.

"It's educational"
(as in, you will be highly educated knowing that I will produce several solo albums after this one, and then form a band with several righteous dudes)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000