Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thegirlwhoseheadexpanded
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  13:04:08  Show Profile  Visit thegirlwhoseheadexpanded's Homepage  Click to see thegirlwhoseheadexpanded's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anyone going? I can't wait to see them in such a smallish venue - I love it when big bands choose to do that. I know the Futureheads are supporting, but does anyone know who else? Also, does anyone know what time bands usually arrive at venues? I'm not usually one to hang around hoping for a vague glance of a band getting out a tour bus, but come on - it's The Pixies.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  13:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm hoping to go. i think it will be brill
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  13:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's the last time i read one of your posts with a mouth ful of water, floop.

godDAMNIT, my screen's soaked

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

manta_ray11
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  19:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there. Should be great, just like the Brixton Academy, sloping floor and all. Is the venue's car park safe?
Go to Top of Page

Martin Debaser
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  00:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep i'm going can't wait for this one, the apollo is a fantastic venue, its not the smartest venue but the acoustics in there are the best. C U THERE :)))) PIXIES ROCK
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  06:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is killing me right now that I am not going to this.

Fire made it good.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  08:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants to meet me and a few of my friends, then we will be in The Temple bar on Oxford Road from about 3 o'clock. There will be Pixies playing when you arrive no doubt as I intend to take over the juke box when I get there.

Email me and I will give you my mobile number if you wanna meet.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're only making it more painful for me now.

Fire made it good.
Go to Top of Page

son_of_nimrod
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this gig immensely, and I've got standing tickets! just came on to see if i could see who's supporting and found that it's the Futureheads. Can't wait, especially after not being able to make it to Move last year.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surfer Rosa

You're only making it more painful for me now.

Fire made it good.

Sorry, wasn't my intention.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  21:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

give us a bell mate
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  01:24:44  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

If anyone wants to meet me and a few of my friends, then we will be in The Temple bar on Oxford Road from about 3 o'clock. There will be Pixies playing when you arrive no doubt as I intend to take over the juke box when I get there.

...not only that, you'll get to meet the super bumble too! (me)

The Monkey Helper has had a make-over! http://www.monkeyhelper.co.uk (that is my band)
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  01:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:

give us a bell mate

Will do mate.

Go to Top of Page

manta_ray11
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  18:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from Manchester, still grinning from ear to ear. Who needs drugs when you've got the Pixies?
Fantastic performance, sound was brilliant. Just wish they played a couple more encores ( I was hoping for Velouria).
Funny moment was Kim's fag break. It seemed half the audience lit up at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

manta_ray11
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  18:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I love the Manta Ray t-shirts - I just had to buy one of those.
Go to Top of Page

thegirlwhoseheadexpanded
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  03:51:07  Show Profile  Visit thegirlwhoseheadexpanded's Homepage  Click to see thegirlwhoseheadexpanded's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wasn't impressed with Gang Of Fo... I mean, The Futureheads. It felt like they played 12 versions of the same song, and the only one worth noting was Hounds of Love, and their version isn't even anywhere as good as the original. The Pixes were brilliant though, and they played practically my ideal choice of songs. I've only seen them once before (at Move), but they really seemed on form. Frank's voice was phenomenal, and I'm sure I saw him smile once or twice. It was just a brilliant gig. I walked down a side street afterwards to get away from the crowds, and stumbled across the band (plus Kelly Deal) sat in a car waiting for Frank. I just stood there by the open door not really knowing what to do and just gawping at them like I was in a zoo until Frank came and they drove off.... but it was a very nice moment anyway.
Go to Top of Page

son_of_nimrod
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  09:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twas good. I think every drummer should be able to catch sticks from 20ft away mid-song, in fact i think i'll be chucking them every audition ;-) On a serious note, how good was Kim Deal doing In Heaven, it made my heart melt. A fantastic gig, amazing to hear Frank Blacks/Kims voice at 8,000 watts.
I was'nt into Futureheads either, bit beige for my liking.
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  14:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So jealous so jealous so jealous

Fire made it good.
Go to Top of Page

manta_ray11
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  20:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by son_of_nimrod

On a serious note, how good was Kim Deal doing In Heaven, it made my heart melt.

Just beautiful - her and her voice. And her performance for Gigantic WAS gigantic, especially as she seemed to be coughing her guts up to get herself ready for it . She should give up smoking, but maybe that would iron out that lovely rough edge to her voice.

As for The Futureheads, they were better than I thought they'd be, but I agree that every song sounded similar, particularly in the vocals.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/music/livereviews/s/171/171998_pixies__apollo.html

Pixies @ Apollo

(5 out of 5 stars!)

Lianne Steinberg

30/08/05

HE may be 40 years old and packing a few extra pounds, but frontman Frank Black still howls, hollers and yelps like every single word is his last.

Fresh from the Reading/Leeds Festival, the foursome blasted through each song with hardly a pause.

Arriving to deafening cheers and minimal fanfare, their thundering Jesus and Mary Chain cover Head On from Trompe Le Monde signalled the start of a fiery performance.

It’s the same set opener they played at their Brixton Academy comeback shows last year and the sentiment (‘the way I feel tonight/I could die and I wouldn’t mind) was perfect for all those hungry fans who had been waiting for this date for what seemed a lifetime.

Taking the bulk of material from their defining album Doolittle, Wave Of Mutilation, Mr Grieves and Gouge Away sent the mosh pit into spasms of delight.

Without a weak track in their back catalogue, there was room for them to play about with the originals. So the folk-punk of Nimrod’s Son was taken down a notch into a menacing waltz.

And after the smouldering Hey failed to take off - because bassist Kim Deal decided she couldn’t smoke during it - Frank led them into a howling version of Dead.

But there was good humour all around. Recent shows have seen the band expanding the crazed noise section in Vamos, which enabled guitarist Joey Santiago to make all kinds of sounds using his guitar pedals, leads and one of Dave Lovering’s drumsticks which he then handily threw back to the drummer without him missing a beat.

Similarly, Lovering had his moment in the spotlight singing La La Love You. It’s always been their breeziest song and there was definitely an air of carefree enjoyment on stage.

However, Black was almost playful as they closed the set with Where Is My Mind, gesturing to the rest of the band that they should stay on the stage for one final epic.

Naturally, it came in the form of the cloud bursting Gigantic. Deal’s vocals were as sweet as ever and Black closed the song with a series of Brady Bunch-style call and response ‘goodnight's’ to each member of the band.

But such was the roof-raising applause, they were only allowed to leave the stage for a few minutes before coming back to finish what they started with Hey.

Even when they finally departed, it was hard to say goodbye.

Pixies' frontman Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

hibster
- FB Fan -

102 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  10:55:01  Show Profile  Visit hibster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice review - but head on as opener for the brixton shows?
ok, i missed the third one, but it was winterlong at the first & certainly wasnt head on at the second..

this is why events unerve me
Go to Top of Page

manta_ray11
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hibster

nice review - but head on as opener for the brixton shows?
ok, i missed the third one, but it was winterlong at the first & certainly wasnt head on at the second..

They opened with Head On on the Saturday (4th) show at Brixton. I was there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hibster
- FB Fan -

102 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  06:59:48  Show Profile  Visit hibster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ah - had already left for the paris zenith show by then. curse them for arranging the extra show after i'd booked my flight!

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  06:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing again. Didn't quite top Reading but not far off. The second best performance I have seen/heard by them.

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  15:53:19  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i came all teh way form canada to catch them in manchester...what a spiritual experience. i'm 32 now and have been a fan since i was 16. so lets say i've been dying to see them ever since i was a kid. catching them live and in a town where i used to live for a few years (whole other story)...was a joy! it was indeed very hard to say good bye after two encores. it was wicked hanging with a crowd of people who really dug the music and got into it! man..haven't danced my ass off in such a long time.
cheers!
mel
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  14:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You came all that way? Wow, that's impressive. You should have come and met Bumble and I.

How come you lived in my great city?

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  07:49:22  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your great city? Um no...my GREAT CITY! hhehehehe..long story 'why' I used to live there. But lets just say I fell in love with it for almost 3 years..had to move back as my work visa ran out and have been trying to secure a gig there for the past year. Miss Manchester soo much. Its funny, I've been back in Toronto for a little over a week now and I'm still mopping around the house. Listening to my Pixies CD's is my pick me up..heheheheh.

Who is Bumble and 'you'?
Cheers!
Mel
quote:

You came all that way? Wow, that's impressive. You should have come and met Bumble and I.

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  07:54:16  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
btw where in manchester do u live?

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  11:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in the city centre as of two weeks time.

Bumblebeeboy2 is a fellow forum member who I met through this fantastic site. I met him for drinks in Manchester's best bar (lots of Pixies on the jukebox) before the gig with my friends.

It's funny that you want to come to Manchester to live because I would love to live in Canada. Shall we marry so that we can swap countries?

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  12:32:27  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is this a marriage proposal on only a 3rd post? sorry i don't even kiss on a 4 th post dude! :)

you want to come to canada huh? yeah its a great country..i do love it! have u been? but i miss the slower pace of life in manchester...

i'm off to see U2 tonight..my mate works at island here in toronto...should be a nice night out..sure no pixies show that is!

cheers!
mel

quote:

I live in the city centre as of two weeks time.

Bumblebeeboy2 is a fellow forum member who I met through this fantastic site. I met him for drinks in Manchester's best bar (lots of Pixies on the jukebox) before the gig with my friends.

It's funny that you want to come to Manchester to live because I would love to live in Canada. Shall we marry so that we can swap countries?

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  14:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's OK, I'm only using you to get into your country. And of course I expect the same of you.

Hehe, just kidding. Have a good night. Enjoy the gig.

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  22:02:00  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
of course...any way i can get back to manchester...

were you ever in a band called the catchmen?

ciao
mel
quote:

It's OK, I'm only using you to get into your country. And of course I expect the same of you.

Hehe, just kidding. Have a good night. Enjoy the gig.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  05:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heaven only Knowles.

Why do you ask?

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  07:08:24  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just wondering...

quote:

Heaven only Knowles.

Why do you ask?

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  05:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well no I wasn't.

Go to Top of Page

torontocanuck
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  11:09:17  Show Profile  Visit torontocanuck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do u know mike knowles?

quote:

Well no I wasn't.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page