Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  12:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bpninc.com/evideo

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  13:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is this where you work? bpninc?
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  14:46:37  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can someone explain the difference between hillbillies and rednecks please?

wilhelm

We've gone on holiday by mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  15:04:04  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aii I know is Ireland only has rednecks but America has both.

--

Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music -- the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  15:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offerw

Or between scallies (sp?) and chavs?

Ain't no diff between hillbillies and rednecks where I live.

For example, this is both Hillbilly Barbie and Redneck Barbie:

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  15:18:10  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Bill Hicks:

"I'm not alone? Oh, thank God! I thought I was alone. Hello, I'm Bill and I'm a Cops watcher. 'Hello Bill.' I'm obsessed by that fuckin' show! I can't not watch it. I'm like a guy with a sore tooth I can't stop touching' it.

"I've never been in so many trailer parks, ever! Each night I'm in a different one. I could buy a trailer now, I know so much about them from the show Cops.

"It's sick and I love it. Every night it's the same show. A women has been beaten by her husband, her head looks like a melon. The cops are called on a domestic call 'cause the trailer next door couldn't hear the results of the American Gladiators contest over her shrieking.

"Every time the women stands up for the guy. 'He didn't mean to hit me, he's a goo-ood man, don't take him away. I fell asleep in the driveway and he run over my head with the truck. He's a goo-ood man, he don't mean no harm. He's passed out under the trailer right now with his dog Skeeter."

--

Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music -- the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  15:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad you guys couldn't watch Trailer Park Boys.

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  15:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“The elites of American liberalism can be found on Northern college campuses, in the mainstream media, and in the institutions of popular culture (Hollywood, etc.). For quite some time now, these elites have harbored an increasingly obvious disdain for the culture, religion, and lifestyle of the people of "red state America".

“They refer to Middle Americans as "trailer trash" at their dinner parties. They snicker at their religious beliefs. They scowl at their leisure activities (NASCAR, etc.).

“In a nutshell, the Democrats are led by an intellectual and cultural elite that is in the grips of fevered bigotry. Dislike of "rednecks" is perhaps the last acceptable prejudice among our oh-so PC elites.

“It is not that the liberals don’t like America…but rather that they don’t like Americans.

“And thanks to talk radio and the Internet, the folks in Middle America have become aware of the situation. They know what the professors at Yale think of their Baptist religion. They are aware of Alec Baldwin’s opinions of their culture. They know what the editorial staff of The New York Times thinks of bass fishing.”

“The left can deal with this problem in one of two ways. They can allow this election to deepen their contempt for Middle America, or they can honestly engage in introspection and address their attitudes. From what I’ve seen so far, they are tragically following the former path. To them, the reelection of George W Bush is a vindication of all of their negative stereotypes of red state America. They are allowing their prejudices to become even more virulent than before.”
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  15:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
France has 'beaufs' (from 'beau-frère' = brother-in-law). The typical French beauf likes beer, TV, football (soccer), Gauloises cigarettes, unending meals, family reunions, holidays in the sun, fresh-mown lawns, expensive cars, cops, extra-large dogs, camping, hunting, fishing, gardening, and dislikes... er, everything that's not French, especially Arabs and Americans.

Every French is a bit beauf. I myself enjoy holidays in the sun, and beer (Kronenbourg 1664) sometimes.

Some common specimens of beaufs:

(on the right:)

-----
When will Lyle Workman find Frank again?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  16:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol i was about 15 seconds into it and Mr. Grives kicked in from my Real Player. It was surreal!

"I ain't goin to be what I ain't"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  18:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom always tells me I'm somewhere between high class and trailer trash.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  18:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offerw

wilhelm

Hillbillies are Rednecks that live in the hills. like in DELIVERANCE
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  12:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh. Nightmares.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  13:39:33  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've always kind of wondered why so many hicks are Republicans, when the unofficial motto of the Republican Party is "screw the poor." Seems kind of self-hating to me.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  15:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness Erebus is here to speak out on behalf of the rednecks. Now we can pretend "redneck" is a culture, and treat it like it's special. To me, "redneck" is a term to be used for someone who IS a bigot, not someone who is a victim of bigotry.

and you are ill prepared to fight
living in a world of soft and white
in air conditioned battle zones
I pity you!
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  15:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These days the most intolerant, rigid, bitter, small-minded people are all self-identified Dems, libs, lefties.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  15:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd rather be all that than have a ginger beard :(

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  15:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what?

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  16:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.scottrandolph.net/2005/08/17/cindy-sealed-the-deal/
August 17, 2005
Cindy sealed the deal.

I actually felt myself become a republican today. It was around 10am, when I read the latest update of the Cindy Sheehan saga in CNN.com. I then shot over to read some blogs about it, and perused the comments in some of them, which was nothing but a long series of petty (albeit entertaining) partisan bickering.

Then it happend. The good little democrat in me tied the little noose around his neck and jumped off the stool. He just couldn’t take it anymore.

Take what? The whining. The constant whining by the extreme left about the reasons for war, the incompetence of this administration, and how we’ve all been lied to, and how we should pull out of Iraq immediately, because, *gulp* our soldiers were in danger.

Guess what folks….they signed up to join the Army, not the boy scouts. Anytime your orientation to a new job involves an automatic weapon, you should be smart enough to figure out there’s danger involved. I actually read some people’s comments about many of the soldiers over there being naive….they weren’t expecting to go to war, so, they should be allowed to go home. Wow.

Soldiers know, when they enlist, that it is entirely possible they will be shipped out and never come home. It’s part of the job. The fact that people still walk in to recruiters’ offices and sign that piece of paper make them heroes. To imply that they are simple kids who didn’t know what they were getting into, or even worse, that they died for no reason, or an immoral reason, does a horrible thing. It strips their sacrifice of the honor that it deserves. Even though those folks sitting out there in the Texas fields claim to honor and support the soldiers, they obviously have been blinded by their own selfishness as to the real way to support them.

Because, long story short, we can’t end this war now. That would send the message that those bastardly little terrorists have won. It doesn’t matter if the adminstration told us the desert sand was made of gold, and we are going over there to collect it in little buckets to bring home, the concrete fact that we are at war doesn’t change. We are there, and we have a job to finish. We’ve toppled a regime that was dangerous not only to its own people, but also to the rest of the world. Now, we are there fighting the same terrorists we are fighting in Afghanistan. We’ve given liberty to millions of people, and we’re trying to help create a government, in an area that is very volatile, that will be a bastion of freedom and hope for an entire race of people. I hate the fact that our boys are getting killed over there, and I wish it didn’t have to happen.

But, it is, there’s nothing we can do about it, except for doing everything we can to offer support and hope to the folks fighting over there. Arguing and whining about the reasons we’re there, and the need to come home not only kills morale, but it is a complete waste of time.

I just re-read the above post, and I apologize for the rambling….just needed to vent a little. Here’s a breakdown of the way I see things:

-right or wrong, we’re at war. no amount of yelling will fix that now.
-we have to finish the job. HAVE TO. it may take another 1800 soldiers, but it has to be done
-whether or not we’re there for the right reason, we’ve done something great for that country

I never was a big fan of Bush. But, one thing I do believe….he honestly wants to make this country, and this world a better place. Think about it…the war almost cost him the election. If we hadn’t invaded Iraq, he’d have won in a landslide.

I think it’s just my personality that lead me to this decision. I think the left is too concerned with everyone’s immediate rights and needs, and refuses to sacrifice a bit of comfort and happiness in the present, for something that will make life better for everyone in the future. You can take the environmental stance on that, and I’d have no argument…but I think there enough conservatives concerned with that to make it a moot point.

Mostly, I’m just really pissed off. We’re in a crappy situation, and it’s time for all of America to stand together, put on the big boy pants, and get through the next few years.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  16:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erebus, can't you write your own propaganda?

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  16:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose to post the thoughts of a Dem thinking it might have more credibility with other Dems. You might think more before you post given that I can hardly be accused of lacking the ability to write functionally.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What does the war in Iraq have to do with rednecks?

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  16:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erebus, you might be able to write functionally but your use of language isn't always the most accessible.

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  16:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quoted post was intended more as testimony regarding whininess and narrow-mindedness than as about the war specifically, and the whininess and narrow-mindedness seemed relevant as a characterization counter to that of Repubs as bigoted rednecks. I find it intriguing that Bush has served to push the self-destruct button on so many on the left. It's as though they actually never had much of a grip on reality from the beginning. Been fun to watch, and enlightening to the middle America which once had some Dem sympathies. Give us more Cindy Sheehan, Michael Moore, MoveOn, Howard Dean, ... much more. So nice that the electorate is getting to see you guys for what you are. But you can't understand what I mean, and that's beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  18:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

i'd rather be all that than have a ginger beard :(

not me. i'd go with the ginger beard
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  18:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floop, you embarrass me sometimes. My beard is a mask, to fend off approach. It's rare for a redneck conservative to see me for what I am and most liberals mistake me for one of their own. Usually I just flash my broken smile. But perhaps I underestimate you: do I discern a dash of levity where it might most be needed?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  18:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erebus, you know you're my homie
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  19:40:30  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whininess isn't the same as bigotry or intolerance, though. And I'd rather be whiny than unabashedly mean.

On a related note, is it wrong to be prejudiced against people for being prejudiced against others?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000