New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  03:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interview from this edition of NME, apologies if already posted.

NME: You used to write about slicing up eyeballs and such, but the songs on your new solo album, 'Honeycomb' sound much more bare and personal.

FB: That's something that I've been trying to develop for some years. Last year when I was writing this record, the circumstances of my life personally and professionally had all kind of crashed, everything was so emotional and so turned upside down that you could...it was quite easy to go to those personal places.

NME: Are you worried you might have gone too deep?

FB: No, because if you think that you hold it off in terms of writing a good song, you'd be surprised at how naked you can get.

NME: How naked do you get on 'Honeycomb'?

FB: Singing a goodbye song with your ex-wife ('Strange Goodbye') is pretty naked.

NME: That must have been a headfuck.

FB: I was excited to be able to go there. You know that song Ringo Starr had a hit with, 'If you Wanna Sing The Blues You Gotta Pay Your Dues'? It feels good to pay some dues and suddenly, 'Ding ding ding ding ding!' These green-lighted doors that you didnt realise were there suddenly appear. It's like, 'OK you can go in here and write one of these kind of songs now. You've earned it, you have the scars to prove it and you can do it in a much more believable way.' It's really strange how that happens but it really does happen.

NME: You've described 'Honeycomb' as "the most moving and mind-blowing experience I've ever had in my muisical career." That's bollocks, you wrote 'Doolittle'!

FB: When I said that I was referring to the actual recording session and I still stand by that. It was very moving to be around people who had so much experience in their lives and so much experience in their careers. They just kind of coasted in this little mojo cloud and they were just very sage-like, y'know?

NME: You're making a new Pixies album - hurrah!

FB: We do discuss making a record in the most casual kind of way. We don't want to overstay our welcome in terms of performing under the banner of a reunion. With the exception of Australia we've kind of played everywhere that we can play, so we're thinking. 'Gee, we enjoy being in a band together again. But even if we just get together once in a blue moon to play the old songs, how are we gonna do that without coming off as tacky?' So i suppose one way to accomplish that is to work on some new material.

NME: What would a new Pixies album sound like?

FB: We havn't jammed so I don't know. Joey (Santiago) told me not to worry. He said, 'Just write some songs. The Pixies'll make it sound like the Pixies!'

NME: Will you go back to writing about slicing eyeballs?

FB: I probably would try. There is a certain type of abstract poem or whatever that I feel is very much meand I can't always tap into it. Sometimes I pull it off great, others I don't. I'll know when it happens and when it's good. But if it's not good I'm not gonna worry about it. Hey, I might just have to write a bunch of country songs! Kim (Deal) might end up bringing a lot to the table. She's recently been feeling real creative and I think she's working on a new Breeders record right now.

NME: The reunion was strained at first. How are you all getting along now?

FB: It's kinda like it was at the beginning. We get along great and I think we're a lot better at diffusing tensions now. For example, Kim and I were having a little trouble regarding something - a stage tactic - and it would create this tension onstage. Her buttons would get pushed and she would be a certain way then my buttons would get pushed and it was like a little feedback cycle between the two of us. And poor Joey and David would be sitting there going, 'What the fuck are these two doing?' So I think in the past we would have just let that simmer and stew and it would never be discussed, or if it did it would be a 30 second shouting match on the way back to the dressing room. Now, we'll sit down and say, 'OK let's talk about why we don't like what's going on.' Now we're like these adults who are trying to communicate to the children within us.

NME: Are you obsessed with UFOs?

FB: I saw one four years ago with my friend Stan Ridgeway. It was in LA down Santa Monica. It was several small black dots, at very very high elevation. And they seemed to shimmer, blurry like they were shaking or vibrating. They almost appeared to be not moving but as we stood there and watched them, they flew in formation and they were actually flying across the sky. It was so high it seemed like they weren't moving. And then they disappeared up into the sky, much higher.

NME: Did you report it?

FB: Nah, we figured it was some military thing. But it was very strange. It wasn't the normal military.

NME: Aha, the special military...

FB: Yeah

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  04:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

I jumped on the Frank Black Bandwagon/'Cause Pixies are so 2004
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  04:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! I love the very cynical Ufo adventure! Wise funny man!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  04:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha! that's a good one, and not posted yet i don't think. thanks very much stevio.

i am sitting here observing my emotional discomfort.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  05:10:49  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NME journalists are pretty rude, aren't they?

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  05:11:34  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aha! At least he's finally acknowledged that he hasnt come to Australia! Maybe a step in the right direction.....
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  18:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!! They assume that there's going to be a new record without even asking him! And they have to dredge up the UFO thing! (Interesting what he said, however!) Is'nt it about time they visited Australia? I would imagine next time....keep your hopes up, Australians! :D
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  00:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the NME for you haha.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  05:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how the NME are reporting it on their website. They're trying so hard, aren't they, to find something of a headline!

PIXIES MAINMAN GIVES LOWDOWN ON BAND'S NEW ALBUM

PIXIES frontman FRANK BLACK has revealed more details of the band’s proposed brand new album.

It was recently confirmed the band, who got back together last year for live shows to huge acclaim, are preparing to make their first studio album since 1991’s ’Trompe Le Monde’.

Black told NME.COM: “We do discuss making a record in the most casual kind of way. We don’t want to overstay our welcome in terms of performing under the banner of a reunion. With the exception of Australia we’ve kind of played everywhere that we can play, so we’re thinking, gee, we enjoy being in a band together again. So even if we just get together once in a blue moon to play the old songs, how are we gonna do that without coming off as tacky? So I suppose one way to accomplish that is to work on some new material.”

He added: “We haven’t jammed but I don’t really know what it would sound like. Joey (Santiago, guitar) told me not to worry about it, he said, ‘just write some songs and the Pixies will make it sound like the Pixies’.”

Since the band got back together they have recorded two songs - ’Bam Thwok’ - which was rejected for the ’Shrek 2’ soundtrack and then released as a download-only single, and a cover of Warren Zevon’s ’Ain’t That Pretty At All’, which appeared on ’Enjoy Every Sandwich’, a tribute album to the late singer.

Pixies headline this year’s Carling Weekend: Reading and Leeds Festivals between August 27 and 29.

Black recently released a new solo album called 'Honeycomb'.

Read more of the Frank Black interview in this week’s NME, dated July 30 and on sale now.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  08:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ridiculous, is'nt it?! No details of a 'proposed' new album were revealed. They obviously pressed him, and he gave some speculation about possibly making a new album at some point!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  08:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was obviously a lean weekend, no Pete Doherty antics for them to fawn over etc
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  10:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything to sell a few copies eh
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  19:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Read more of the Frank Black interview in this week’s NME, dated July 30 and on sale now.

Maybe new news in there
Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
- FB Fan -

Australia
84 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  01:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A visit to Australia is long, long overdue.

'I thought that I would stay just for a while'
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  12:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From an Illinois Entertainer article, posted by FrankfanL:

"We'll do some sporadic touring," Black says, "a couple weeks here, a few days there, then if we tour Japan and Australia in the winter, we'll basically have played everywhere that we can play on the legs of this reunion status.

So, you never know!! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000