Frank #11 vocalist on XFM poll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
951 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  10:51:16  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's painfully obvious that I lift all my posts from Morrissey-solo.com, but so what:

http://www.xfm.co.uk/article.asp?b=news&id=101017

The Winner Of The Xfm Greatest Indie Band Vote!

Thousands of you voted (and nearly as many e-mailed us complaining that your favourite bandmember wasn't represented) and now we can reveal the winner of the Xfm World’s Greatest Ever Indie Supergroup Vote.

We knew that this one would cause trouble. We decided to find out who you, the discerning (and, as we discovered, rather argumentative) Xfm listeners thought should be in the World's Greatest Indie Band. So we set up a bloody
huge vote with a list of some of alternative music's most acclaimed musicians. Then we asked you to vote.

And vote you did, in your thousands. And thousands. And the results were surprising, if not entirely predictable. Judging by the votes, the World's Greatest Indie Band would feature Matt Bellamy from Muse on vocals and guitar, Chris Wolstenholme also from Muse on bass, and (would you believe it?) Dom Howard from Muse on drums and anyone else rather than Bez on maracas. So, essentially, it's Muse.

But we have reason to believe that certain Muse messageboards had been encouraging people to fiddle with their computers so they could multiple vote. Thus things may have been a little Muse-heavy. So disregarding their votes, the band would be formed of Thom Yorke on vocals, Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead on guitar Oasis' Andy Bell on bass and Dave Grohl on drums. Which sounds a little more interesting.

For the record, the least popular band would have Courtney Love singing, Joey Santiago from Pixies on guitar, The Magic Numbers' Michele Stodart on bass and Brian Chase from Yeah Yeah Yeahs on drums, which would be rather more cool if you ask us.

But before we reveal the winners in each individual category, let's address some of the e-mail complaints, moans and whinges we had and point a few things out..

* Three of you may reckon Mark Morris from the Bluetones deserved to be in the Best Singer category. We didn't.
* Likewise Sean Moore from Manic Street Preachers in the drummer's category.
* Yes, we know we didn't included PJ Harvey until the vote had run for a few days. For that we are genuinely sorry (and we do feel rather guilty).
* We too are very fond of Radiohead bassist Colin Greenwood, we just didn't think his input into the band was as important as Thom or Jonny's. Sorry. Now enough with the death threats.
* Yes, Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers is one of the world's finest bass players, but he's NOT in an indie/alternative rock band is he? No. That's why he's not there.
* Ditto everyone from Green Day and Blink 182.
* As a personal tip from us, if there's ever Radiohead and Muse fanclub conventions in the same city on the same day, avoid the area, it'll almost definitely turn violent.
* In fact, don't trust a Muse fan.
* Whoever voted for Meg White as a better drummer than Taylor Hawkins from Foo Fighters may have serious hearing issues.
* Bez isn't as popular as you might think.

The full lists in each category are:

Best Singer:

1. Matt Bellamy (Muse)
2. Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
3. Liam Gallagher (Oasis)
4. James Dean Bradfield (Manics)
5. Morrissey (The Smiths)
6. Jeff Buckley
7. Brett Anderson (Suede / The Tears)
8. Chris Martin (Coldplay)
9. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
10. Damon Albarn (Blur)
11. Frank Black (Pixes)
12. Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
13. Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
14. Michael Stipe (R.E.M)
15. Johnny Borrel (Razorlight)
16. Shirley Manson (Garbage)
17. Pete Doherty (Babyshambles)
18. Kelly Jones (Sterephonics)
19. Polly Harvey (PJ Harvey)
20. Courtney Love (Hole)

Best Guitarist:

1. Matt Bellamy (Muse)
2. Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead)
3. Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
4. Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
5. Bernard Butler (Suede / The Tears)
6. John Squire (The Stone Roses)
7. Graham Coxon (Blur)
8. Jack White (White Stripes)
9. Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
10. Johnny Buckland (Coldplay)

Best Basssist:

1. Chris Wolstenholme (Muse)
2. Andy Bell (Oasis)
3. Mani (The Stone Roses / Primal Scream)
4. Hooky (Joy Division / New Order)
5. Kim Deal (Pixies)
6. Krist Noveselic (Nirvana)
7. Nick Oliveri (QOTSA / Mondo Generator)
8. Mickey Quinn (Supergrass)
9. Michele Stodart (Magic Numbers)

Best Drummer:

1. Dom Howard (Muse)
2. Dave Grohl (Nirvana)
3. Phil Selway (Radiohead)
4. Reni (The Stone Roses)
5. Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins)
6. Meg White (The White Stripes)
7. Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
8. Danny Goffey (Supergrass)
9. Brian Chase (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

Misc:

1. Anyone Else
2. Bez

skinny puppy has a song called "cult" - does that count?

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  03:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So yeah, Chris Martin a better singer than Frank Black?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  04:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morrissey and Jeff Buckley are/where great singers, but Frank has such a unique voice and can really carry a note to beautiful heights!
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  05:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Foget those silly wanker pols.... Please.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  19:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice honor... so if we include post-pixies work he jumps to 1a right?

Congrats to Kim for her honor as one of the top basists, too!! :)

Joey and Dave you're also #1 in our hearts too!
Go to Top of Page

eraserhead
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  19:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh god how completely ridiculous. These top 10 lists only ever serve to piss me off royally. Noel Gallagher third best guitarist? Joey is the worst? What!!! Its alright though, i'll console myself with the fact that i've got new albums from Franz Ferdinand and The Bravery to look forward too.... thats what XFM gives me in return}:)

Oh and with the mention of Buckley, a random thought i had was how cool would a Buckley/Black collaboration have been? Or more specifically, while i love Frank's vocals completely, imagine Jeff singing 'Dark side of the Street' for example...
Go to Top of Page

bltpdx
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  13:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheating or not, I love Muse.

But the guitar poll is ludicrous. Joey as the worst? That's hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  17:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Half of those bands aren't even "indie" bands, and I'm sorry to say it, but Kim Deal isn't even one of the top 100000 indie band bassists of all time. She's a terrible bassist. There isn't a single bass note on a single Pixies song that's anything but the root of the chord being played on the bass.

ˇViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  01:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The simpler, the better" for bassplayer that REALLY know what bass is all about.
It is an undiscutable fact. PIXIES sounds the way it sounds thanks to the bass. What do you want? Slappers? This ain't no red chilly con carne, man!

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  04:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nimrodsson that last statement is an exageration. and anyway, it's not all about skillz, kim deal for me is by far the coolest and sexiest bassist ever... i wouldn't say no to letting her in my band!

Oh let it linger

Edited by - PixieSteve on 07/28/2005 04:44:01
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  07:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not denying the fact that she's cool and sexy, and I don't deny that the Pixies wouldn't have been what they were eithout her, but she's NOT a good bassist. Her basslines aren't creative or original AT ALL and it takes absolutely no talent to play what she plays on the bass, and she clearly does not deserve to be 5th best indie bassist of all time.

Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  07:32:57  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...and where's Joey santiago?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  07:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

I'm not denying the fact that she's cool and sexy, and I don't deny that the Pixies wouldn't have been what they were eithout her, but she's NOT a good bassist. Her basslines aren't creative or original AT ALL and it takes absolutely no talent to play what she plays on the bass, and she clearly does not deserve to be 5th best indie bassist of all time.

i'm gonna "slapp" in ya face if you keep on being bad with kimmy!

Go to Top of Page

theFILLshow
- FB Fan -

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  22:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

I actually agree. The basslines are simplistic, so I wouldn't put her for best bassist. I know how to play all the Pixies basslines without even having to look at tabs. As long as you know the chords frank plays in the song, you play those notes in the same fashion, usually on the E or A strings.

_____
La La Love you, don't mean maybe
Go to Top of Page

gurn
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This poll is an exercise in insanity! Where is Mr. Mike Watt - Bassist extraordinaire?! He is nowhere to be seen.
I've got your pole right heah..
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  15:14:04  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gurn

This poll is an exercise in insanity! Where is Mr. Mike Watt - Bassist extraordinaire?! He is nowhere to be seen.
I've got your pole right heah..

I like you, man. I like you.

Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000