The Sun reviewed Honeycomb and interviewed Frank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonathan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  00:33:16  Show Profile  Visit jonathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Sun, for any non-Brits, is Britain's biggest selling daily by a country-mile, a red-top tabloid of the Murdoch stable, usually concerned with David Beckham and celeb-sex.

Not only did they interview Frank (although it does look to have been less than a five minute phone interview, or cobbled together from other interviews) and review Honeycomb, giving it five out of five (equivilent to a champagne supernova in their descriptive rating scale) but they put Frank on the front of their 'Something for the Weekend' Friday entertainment supplement.

Admittedly the intro started with "You may not know who Frank Black is..." but this is quite staggering for the such a paper (most of whose readers will not have heard of the Pixies let alone Frank) with sales of three million and an estimated readership of nine million.

Well done Franks' PR company, Honeycomb might actually sell a few copies in Britain! Unfortunately, The Sun are quite protective of their copyright and do not make full articles available online so I can't link to the review/interview. Left the paper at work but may be able to pick it up and scan it on Monday if anyone is interested, but the interview and review weren't much to read, it was just shocking to see him in The Sun. There was even a taster photo on about page 13.

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  01:17:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the same happened to me, I was shocked to see Frank Black on the cover of the dutch Metro 2 years ago.
Shock!

But the Sun, man that's even more rare. Honeycomb is gonna skyrocket!

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  04:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jonathan, thanks for this. FBC posted this in another thread, and scanned the article, plaease see:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13348&whichpage=4

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  04:41:19  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it was a great surprise, wasn't it jonathan
i couldn't believe my eyes.
Frank Black with such a huge piece in probably the most viewed paper (tabloid) in our country.

Very smart move on frank's part.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  05:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He'll have his own funny home movies show on ITV, AT 6.00 on Sundays, next!! ;)
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  08:09:33  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've lost the original paper but here's the scan i promised a while back
nothing new, just Frank Black in The Sun

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  08:15:46  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, and that's a 5 out of 5 next to his name

You hear England?
5 out of feckin' 5 for the Man!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  16:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surreal hahaha. Of course, the last paragraph ("Hugs and kisses...") kicked off the whole 'Pixies to record new album' fuss, didn't it?

Of interest is Frank's apparent hope to 'bring the Honeycomb band to the UK'.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  16:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I spotted that one as well, Ziggy... SWEET!

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  02:18:58  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't know how serious to take the interview, wheteher it's just mashed quotes from other sources or a legit chat with the Man.

The Honeycomb Tour news is pretty exciting however false they may be. Think i'm gonna believe them just this once.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000