Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  01:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An 8 out of 10 review from Atomic Duster:

http://www.atomicduster.com/albumreviews/albums07_05/index.php

T: Frank Black's first "solo" effort since 1996's "The Cult of Ray", and to my knowledge, the erstwhile Pixies frontman has never released anything less than "quite good". Admittedly, these range between phenomenal ("Teenager of the Year", ALL the Pixies stuff and his relatively recent "Devil's Workshop" with The Catholics) and slightly better than average (the aforementioned album from nine years ago).
I'm pleased to say that the great man is still showing no signs of turning into a shrinking violet, though he does appear to be metamorphosing into his all time guitar hero, the legendary Neil Young. And let's face it, you could pick worse role models.
Frank has always flirted with Americana and alt.country, even back in the heady days of the Boston quartet's world domination, but here it all comes together perfectly to create an album that will keep the serious music fans happy, appeal to brand new audiences, and still probably won't even offend your granny.
Highlights include the much championed 6Music favourite "I Burn Today", the ever so slightly innebriated "Another Velvet Nightmare" and the tender Jimmy Cliff like cover of Dan Penn and Chips Moman's "Dark End of the Street".
There are many splendid, gorgeous sun-soaked pieces here, but at the same time Black keeps his playful edge that we've become so accustomed to over the years. Long may he continue making quality music like this to get us through our sad days and further enhance our good ones.

N: Frank's lyrical ability is simply effortless, and like you said, there's no change in quality here. Listening to this album is like sliding a knife through butter, and in response to your earlier comment, well engineered for radio play. 8/10

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  02:45:23  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very well said. Thanks!

http://www.prozacrat.com
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  03:24:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just love this
have we every witnessed better reviews for an other FB(and the c's) record?

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  03:27:34  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Dog in the Sand was quite praised (it deserved it).
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  04:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Like sliding a knife through butter"!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  04:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devil's Workshop phenomenal? Hmmm....not sure 'bout that!!
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  05:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it Carl, one more negative thought about Devil's Workshop and I'm reporting you to the "Thought Police", you got that buddy!

I joined the noisy cult of six-sixty-six when I somehow agreed to the Registration Policy
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  05:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Carl, time for a spanking, fb.net-style.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  05:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crikey!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: