Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  03:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the first review for Honeycomb I have seen, and it is positive:

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/reviews/music/2547/

Frank Black in solo mode has returned with the release of Honeycomb – his first solo effort since 1996’s The Cult of Ray.

This heavily country-soaked album was recorded in just four days in Nashville with an impressive backing band. Additionally, it was also days before Frank Black’s commencement of the hugely anticipated Pixies reunion shows of 2004. The mood of this release is relaxed, even mellow at times. Still present though is Black’s quirky lyrics but with a more contemplative air. Not present is the typical Frank Black holler.

The roster of band members featured on Honeycomb reads like a blues-funk-soul dream team. United are some formidable figures who bring together histories from Stax Records, Muscle Shoals and American Studios - to name just a few. Featured in this band is the highly-esteemed guitarist and songwriter, Steve Cropper. His credentials are numerous but notably he was a co-writer and band member with Otis Redding plus a founding member of Booker T & The MG’s. The producer of Honeycomb is Jon Tiven who himself has worked with Wilson Pickett, B.B. King and Robert Plant. Frank Black obviously relished this opportunity of a lifetime - he has even stated on record his total admiration of their collective talent.
The opening track of Honeycomb is Seikie Bride which suitably sets an easy-going pace for the start of this country-bound journey. It’s then followed by the first single, I Burn Today - which as per usual with Black’s crafting of love songs, it seemingly never fails to sparkle. There are also three interesting choices of cover versions, namely Dark End of The Street, Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day and Song Of The Shrimp (from the Elvis Presley film, Girls, Girls, Girls). The tempo of Honeycomb is picked up slightly when Strange Goodbye swings around. It features a duet with Frank Black’s ex-wife, for whom this particular tune was also penned. So, don’t be fooled by the rumours that it was Courtney Love - she could never sing with such a wholesome-sounding country twang.

The title track, Honeycomb, possesses subtle reminders of a signature Pixies tune but without the in-your-face volume and snarl. The lyrics comically highlight the big mama’s boy that resides deep inside Frank Black.

The old churchyard,
Is where I faded,
She watched me while,
I fell unaided,
And in my time,
When God's army came and got me
I could not find my honeycomb…

In his usually obtuse manner, religion still heavily peppers Black’s lyrics too. It is evident in tracks like Honeycomb as well as Go Find Your Saint and Sing For Joy. Personal standout numbers include My Life Is In Storage, an ultimate song for those in the process of moving (literally or metaphorically) and Violet with it’s lyric of Violet’s the chakra for me, Violet’s the flower for me….

In his first solo release since 1996, Frank Black is in laid-back country mode. He is accompanied by a sterling band and producer who bring with them notable blues and soul music credentials. The pace of this album is easy-does-it with occasional views of an “abstract plain” coming through. It’s a sunny collection of songs with Black’s typically unique lyrical stylings. Overall, Honeycomb makes for perfect country-driving music.

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  04:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good review, thanks! I wish they would also mention Frank's time spent with the Catholics. They make it sound like he hasn't been doing shit since Cult of Ray. Otherwise an excellant review.

~~Come inside, or...Go Away.~~

Edited by - martha_promise on 07/01/2005 04:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  04:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I found the writing style kind of irritating: "Additionally, it was also", for example. Maybe I'm just picky.

Maybe it's because I'm British and can't accept a good review without accompanying proclamations of 'the Best Band In The World And The Saviour Of Rock And Roll!!!'

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  22:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martha_promise

Good review, thanks! I wish they would also mention Frank's time spent with the Catholics. They make it sound like he hasn't been doing shit since Cult of Ray. Otherwise an excellant review.

I agree.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  03:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

quote:
Originally posted by martha_promise

I agree.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank

actually, I think that Frank hasn't been doing shit
I quite liked the catholics

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  05:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll arm-wrestle you for the right to claim to be the No. 1 Catholics fan!

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  16:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ok you can be the co #1 Catholics fan

thanks for the article
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom