From Billboard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whitenoisemaker
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  14:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this is a re-post but dig the last part about a possible new Pixies album as well as new songs for Honycomb follow-up...very sweet

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000965613

Frank Black is eyeing an early 2006 release for an album recorded late last year in Nashville, where he also recorded his upcoming solo project, "Honeycomb." As previously reported, that album is due July 19 via Back Porch/Narada, and features such guests as keyboardist Spooner Oldham, guitarist Steve Cropper and drummer Billy Block.

The second Nashville-reared set, which is as-yet-untitled and not earmarked for a label, has already been mixed. But Black tells Billboard.com, "I decided I want to redo some vocals and I want to write a few more songs to maybe add to it."

"I wasn't really thinking in terms of, 'this is the follow-up album' [to 'Honeycomb']," Black continues. "It was sort of like, let's do another session and see what happens. Most of it was recorded in one night, like a midnight to 6 p.m. the next day all-nighter kind of thing."

Among the artists who participated in the sessions are the Band's Levon Helm, Free/Bad Company drummer Simon Kirke, the Small Faces' Ian McLagan, the Funk Brothers' Bob Babbitt, Cheap Trick bassist Tom Petersson and Mark T. Jordan. "We're bringing you a high celebrity list," Black jokes.

The artist says "five or six" of the songs were co-written with singer/songwriter Reid Paley, who co-penned the "Honeycomb" track "Another Velvet Nightmare." Observes Black, "That was kind of different. I hadn't really done a lot of collaborating in my life. He showed up on the Pixies tour and we just holed up in the hotel room when I wasn't gigging, and we worked all day."

Black says he's excited about the prospect of playing some solo shows this year in support of "Honeycomb," but admits, "I don't have anything booked. I'm going to wait and see how the record does and then hopefully I'll be able to organize these guys on the stage with me. They all have careers, so it's logistically challenging."

As for a much-buzzed about new album from the reunited Pixies, who are on the road again this summer, Black says he's cautiously optimistic. "We'll see what happens. I predict we'll make a record sometime in the next year." A previously announced DVD chronicling the group's 2004 tour will be released later in the year via Warner Bros.

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  16:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting on all counts! Sicilian/Nashville II is going to be good. New Pixies is going to be worth the wait also, if it happens.

Now re-focus on Honeycomb : 4-weeks to go...

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  17:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do hope the sales go well enough for him to tour with honeycomb, too.

I mean it might with everyone's schedules to take a year or to before the tour could happen, but would definately be worth the wait!!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  00:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does the man ever sleep ?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  01:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least he does not spend all his time in front of a computer....

I surrender body and soul to our Lord Saviour
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  02:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, lucky him !

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  02:35:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Warner Bros. Pixies DVD?

I could never see that happening 5 years ago

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  02:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great news, thanks.

Join the Cult of France / And get Honeycomb weeks in advance
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  12:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it will be only 1 DVD??. I heard somewhere it could be a 2 DVD set.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  13:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's the documentary, plus highlights of the several shows taped on the 2004 tour isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  09:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Cautiously optimistic," huh?

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000