Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, I get the feeling that Charles is to Ray as We are to Charles, or is that Ray is to Charles as Charles is to Us???

You get my drift.
It's quite heartening to see those you admire hold such admiration for others.

Even when they are omnipotent :)
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:34:40  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is science fiction?

quote:
I guess it is tough to sue the Moore Corporation!

No, it's remarkably easy to sue anyone. How easy it is to WIN a lawsuit against someone is a different matter.

I remember hearing about the lawsuit. I have no idea what the end result was, but I really don't see how Ray would have had a case.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

Angry Elvis
- FB Fan -

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  14:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi frnk

thanks for all the music

my 7 yr old daughter told me she is going to meet you at the jones beach ny show

i wouldn't be surprised, she's a real hoot

looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang

***i'm just a hunka hunka burnin love***
Go to Top of Page

ijdnwtdwm
- FB Fan -

Chile
27 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  14:28:54  Show Profile  Click to see ijdnwtdwm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey, i'm 15 and i'm into the pixies 5 years ago, and into ray bradbury's books 3 years ago, so that i loved that interview.... thank you frank
Go to Top of Page

Jefery With One F
- FB Fan -

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  20:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great timing. I'm in the middle of writing my major research paper for my Masters degree and part of the paper will deal with Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. I think there's some stuff in there that I can use for my paper. Frank Black in my list of Works Cited...I never would have expected it, but it's very cool.

Is this also available in print format? If so, is there any way of getting a copy? I'd gladly trade a bootleg CD or two for a copy of the paper if someone's willing to send it to me.
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  00:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

FB: Some of us in the world are excited about colonizing Mars. Why do you suppose that some people have such a negative, or sometimes even hostile attitude about this?

I think that some of sf fans are so keen on venturing to other worlds and contacting new life forms partly because they're not particularly happy with where and how they are

not that there's anything wrong with that, I mean looking at crap that goes on in the world every day and in someone's life and wanting to change it is ok I guess

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT ! !
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  01:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are probably some people that would fit that bill. I personally don't think that _I'd_ have to be the one colonizing (though I'd love to do it just to travel through space and set foot on another planet) it. I just think it's the right thing to do for a lot of reasons, even though I'll be long dead before anything in the space program could even laughably called colonization. I guess it's kind of like saying that anyone who enjoys movies or books or fiction is just unhappy. There are unhappy people who escape that way, whether it's from a bad day or chronic depression, but there are happy people who genuinely enjoy it.

"Joined the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

adda flea
- FB Fan -

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  13:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya gotta love the idea of scrapping the LA river in lieu of improving the freeway system. When i was a kid me and my friends rode our bikes down to the bulsa chica beach via the "LA river." Oh yeh, and anytime you have a mossy gutter thats called a river, you probably should consider some alternatives.
Go to Top of Page

nmusler
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  11:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great interview. Loved the talk about urban planning, but more than anything I enjoyed R.B.'s comments on flying and how people who are afraid of flying are really just afraid of themselves. I'd love to have heard more on that topic.

PCD, is hands down my fave place to eat in LA. I make a stop there everytime I'm in LA. Classic. I prefer the downtown locale to the Santa Monica joint myself. Something special about that piece of class being on the edge of such a seedy neighborhood. Most things in life that are really special live on the borderlands.

-Noah

N-

"My heart is in my cranium and it still knows how to pound"

Edited by - nmusler on 05/07/2005 11:02:26
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  15:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i made the mistake of going to Pacific Dining Car on a first date once. not a mistake because it's a bad restaurant, but because it's not exactly inexpensive. i think it was after that (one and only) date with that person that i decided dinner on a first date is a mistake period. that one was the cream of the crop though..

it's true that it's amazingly quiet in there (i've only been to the one in Santa Monica).. which actually makes it more uncomfortable if you're on a first date with someone you're not yet comfortable with. :) excellent steak though..
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  17:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A+ interview! I must say the real magic is that FB intervieiws Bradbury, definitely makes for
a more interesting read.
I look at him and his crop like Arthur Clarke and it's usually a gas to hear clever old men
like that talk it up although I was shocked RB had not much too say about people leaving Earth for good. It's funny that what we do and how well we do it gets other people to listen and
pay attention to our ideas -hearing him talk it sounds like he gets involved in city planning
etc. which is interesting.
I must admit that I find Tatis' films extremely touching. Mon Uncle is the one I have absorbed more than once and Traffic I enjoyed but sadly had a bit too much beer when
watching Mr. Hulot's holiday -but I remember a lot.
There is a great documentary on the history of the Concorde out there -good question!
Nice to hear he is a Kurasawa fan.
I liked his talk about learning to write and about gatherings and craziness.
If he did approach Michael Moore legally about Farenheit 911 than he loses my vote for a true
renaissance thinker. Give me Robert Crumb or Philip Dick any day (PKD died 2 weeks before
the film Blade Runner opened in 1982 sadly).
It's funny that I am picturing 2 different SciFi authors in California and after reading
PKD's works, memoirs etc. I see him as this keen observer looking thru matter to the ethereal
and beyond the human consciousness to something unknown that drives us like bees in society
and RB seems to be all about getting that pesky river outta the way so he can fly out to the
valley or vice versa. Just kidding, anybody ever hear about how California and Arizona almost
went to war over the water rights in the thirties when Parker Dam was being built?
I think a good portion of L.A.s water comes from the Havasu viaduct up there in the Hot land
near Lake Havasu City and Parker. another odd tidbit is that the creation of Lake Havasu via
Parker dam did cover a Chemehuevi indian graveyard.
Jeez I guess I like to make connections, like a six degrees of seperation type thing.
Frank Black I really love your music and it fascinates me to no end the type of things that
you get into. I suppose because I always look for parrallels and synchronous connections etc.
I grew up in L.A. as a kid then moved to Az at 13 -which I hated at first but after going back at eighteen or so to re-discover L.A. I was kind of repulsed by the whole place -long story blah blah.
If your out there Frank I would like to know your thoughts on Phil Dick: what you have read
by him and about him. Lawrence Sutins biography of PKD for instance has a good deal of his
life as a 'Californian' and a lot else that is interesting.
He was fascinated by Linda Rondstat and wrote her into one of his later books.
so if I could interview FB I would have three questions:
1. what are your favorite 3 books by PKD and why?
2. what do you know of PKD's life and what do you think is fascinating there?
3. Bladerunner came to mind via my fave scifi author but it brings to mind the life depicted
in the film as crowded and gritty thus making people kind of wanting to go 'offworld'
the way I see it is as RB sees it -some people would see the need to do it ...
would you go to mars and hang out for say 10-15 years? travel time included lets say
-but the whole roundtrip would be mandated at you being back at the soonest 10 years upon
leaving.
by the way I have the interview with Frank Black published in Science Fiction Eye that I will
have to dig up now...
Anyway I loved your interview of Bradbury and I really think you should go interview Robert Crumb in France and check out that restaurant RB recommended - if you take Crumb maybe he will
sketch you while you two dine and talk...
Reports from Frank Black are a good thing.

Ciao, RLPbLARG

Edited by - blarg007 on 05/07/2005 17:32:23
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  01:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

If he did approach Michael Moore legally about Farenheit 911 than he loses my vote for a true renaissance thinker.

Interesting post. Thank you. BUT, your average renaissance thinker would approach Moore with a machete.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  07:33:40  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I hear (or, rather, read) the words "Renaissance thinker," I tend to think of people like Leonardo da Vinci. I'm not sure I could picture him with a machete, but maybe he had a mean streak the history books didn't discuss.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  08:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus

quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

If he did approach Michael Moore legally about Farenheit 911 than he loses my vote for a true renaissance thinker.

Interesting post. Thank you. BUT, your average renaissance thinker would approach Moore with a machete.

aw leave Michael Moore alone -sorry for the silly post, I have just come off an isolated work stint and the sci-fi author interviewed by FB got me goin'. Just shows how good a piece it was, from restaurants with no piped tunes to threatening directors; non-stop action.
the link said: 'join the discussion' so I being into sci fi have always wondered if FB read PKD.
WOW Billy Idol lyrics as spoken word by WGN weatherman...
AND I'm typing on an old portable.
nine inch nails at the Congress theatre causing traffic jams made
me think: will there be a 'Honeycomb' show/tour featuring the Catholics?
arg

Edited by - blarg007 on 05/11/2005 06:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  05:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual I'm the last to chime in with the praise!!!

I've printed the interview off and sent it to my favourite people...

Thanx for posting that here!

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

twist
- FB Fan -

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I lived in L.A. I remember voting for a proposition to install monorails on piers in the middle of the freeways, it was a popular idea that somehow evaporated. Imagine being stuck in mindnumbing traffic and seeing a monorail whoosh overhead. In spite of Disneyland's perfect record with their monorail, L.A. now has the Wilshire corridor subway and worse. Which brings to mind Tati's "Traffic" (best when undubbed and unsubtitled). I've always liked R.B. and will be the first to admit his enormous literary stature but it's a real shame we'll never read a Frank Black/P.K.D. interview, a couple of the scenarios discussed in the interview are right out of "Martian Time Slip". Thanks for the post your otherworldliness sir guy man dude or however you prefer to be addressed. Is The Pantry still downtown? Last time I was in L.A. it was getting harder to find my old Raymond Chandleresque haunts, sad.

Edited by - twist on 05/20/2005 08:30:36
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twist
Is The Pantry still downtown? Last time I was in L.A. it was getting harder to find my old Raymond Chandleresque haunts, sad.

The Pantry is still there. That's my dad's favorite place.. we always meet for breakfast there
Go to Top of Page

twist
- FB Fan -

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  14:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]The Pantry is still there. That's my dad's favorite place.. we always meet for breakfast there[/quote]

Thank goodness, hope it's still there a thousand years from now when we've colonized Mars and maglevs soundlessly streak through the Valley of Tar. People who universally denounce L.A. don't know what they're talking about.

Edited by - twist on 05/22/2005 14:35:40
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  17:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
People who universally denounce L.A. don't know what they're talking about.

i couldn't agree more. i could expound on this extensively, but i'll just leave it at that.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  10:06:47  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If LA is so great, then how come Frank left it? Huh?

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he'll be back
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  16:11:50  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's what Jesus said.

Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  15:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Is The Pantry still downtown? Last time I was in L.A. it was getting harder to find my old Raymond Chandleresque haunts, sad.

The Pantry is still there. That's my dad's favorite place.. we always meet for breakfast there

I ate there sat. morning after the Pixies show at the wiltern...it came highly recommended...I will definitely be going back to dine...I really enjoyed it.

Edited by - tobafett on 06/28/2005 15:41:31
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  19:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like it because it's an old school piece of LA history.. and they employ all ex-convicts so it's fun to think about what crimes the people serving you were in for.

but i don't think the food is that great
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  21:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i like it because it's an old school piece of LA history..

exactly...it came down to the pantry or one of the chicken/waffle places...

the food was ok...diner'ish...didn't know about the ex-cons, though! they have the bars to keep 'em in?
:)
Go to Top of Page

twist
- FB Fan -

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  09:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobafett

quote:

i like it because it's an old school piece of LA history..

exactly...it came down to the pantry or one of the chicken/waffle places...

the food was ok...diner'ish...didn't know about the ex-cons, though! they have the bars to keep 'em in?

Also highly recomended - The Pines Café, 4343 Pearblossom Highway. When you're out at Vasquez Rocks or El Mirage dry lakebed. For some strange reason they don't allow ketchup on the premises, don't ask for it unless you're in the mood for ridicule. And don't ask for peanut butter at Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles.

Edited by - twist on 06/30/2005 10:00:13
Go to Top of Page

JUNO
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  06:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude, i'm soo behind. : p
great interview though. nothing i can say that hasn't been said in these post already. ok ok, so i didn't read them all!
i'll jump on the next FB post sooner though.

JUNO

Edited by - JUNO on 07/04/2005 00:25:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000