Goodbye Lorraine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  15:00:07  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I met her in the mountains
Though I lived down by the sea
But now it seems these mountains
Are just way too high for me

Goodbye Lorraine
Goodbye Lorraine
Let me explain

She said we’ll be witches
Then there must be nakedness
I said you have no heart until
That aching fills your chest

Goodbye Lorraine
Goodbye Lorraine
Let me explain

Just why I’m leaving
I don’t know what for
But I can’t explain it anymore

We help hands in the temple
But we had no wedding day
Now she sends me perfumed letters
And I throw them all away

A friend showed me a picture
From the 1970's
Now I'm wondering where you are tonight
And I'm singing woe is me

Goodbye Lorraine
Goodbye Lorraine
Let me explain

Just why I'm leaving
I don't know what for
But I can't explain it anymore

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  15:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this song is the most "country" of any track on the album.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  15:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I'm going to take a leap and say a little too country.

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  16:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honeycomb has got far less country twang than this

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh, I've got to admit that in my opinion this is the weakest track from SMYT. I get this huge burst of emotion from When Will Happiness Find Me Again, just to be a tad disappointed with this track.

Are you honest when no one's looking? Can you summon honey from a telephone? They sat there with their hooks in the water and their mustaches caked with airplane glue.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  23:10:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmmm another tricky one for the digging up stuff on, I may run two of these at a time if it carries on like this.

Ok, thoughts on this: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1986 is it odd trivia or is it coinky-dink

I read through the whole of the bloomin king holds court thread to discover the man did not comment on the lovely denis' observation thusly:

quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Hi Frank. I noticed the intro of Goodbye Lorraine (the drums kicks) sound exactly like the intro of Bowie's Sound & Vision. Was it on purpose?

Denis

"I'm in the Cult of Frank/Now how the hell do I get out?"

and I just read through about a hundred setlists and reviews, my alarm to wake me up has just gone off and I suspect I could do with a coffee :P

this is all I got out of the forum, not much huh?

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  23:27:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha! Did I post that?

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  23:40:23  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you most certainly did!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  01:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, after waking and not being able to go back to sleep, I did some googling for "lorraine witches" and "lorraine [english results only]"

http://crisismagazine.com/october2001/feature1.htm
"Alternatively, the witches of Lorraine were said to be "fine and crafty, careful not to quarrel with people or threaten them. Effusive compliments were signs of suspected witchcraft in Lorraine, and suppressed anger could be ominous. Being innocent of the impossible crimes associated with witchcraft did not necessarily mean that witch-hunt victims were "nice." Some were prostitutes, beggars, or petty criminals. Austria's Zauberjäeckl trials (1675-1690) punished as witches people who were actually dangerous felons. The Magic Jacket Society prosecuted in those trials was a Baroque version of the Hell's Angels, recruiting waifs whom it controlled through black magic, sodomy, and conjurations with mice. The prince-archbishop of Salzburg, Austria, graciously forbade executing members of the society who were under the age of twelve. But 200 others were put to death."

Check out this site to see some of the geography of Lorraine that is refered to in the first verse of the song, e.g., mountains and the sea.
http://www.cr-lorraine.fr/english_version/geographie/geographie.asp

Also, after listening to this song on headphones, I'm convinced that the lyrics posted in the FB song DB and the lyrics that Frank sings on the album are slightly different, e.g., first verse lyrics include "But now it seems these mountains" and Frank sings "And now it seems these mountains"; and second verse lyrics include "She said we'll be witches" and Frank sings "She said if we'll be witches".

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 04/01/2005 03:46:52
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  02:24:38  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats absolutely superb! thank you so much!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  03:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you so much, Starmekitten, for all of the time and energy that you have devoted, and continue to devote, to this project. We are indebted to you!

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  13:46:46  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I actually like the steel guitar in this song.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  14:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

OldMan, I second your comments about db mistress tre.

So your research shows that "some were prostitutes, beggars, or petty criminals"? Doesn't that describe forum members to a T?

; )

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics

Oh yeah! However, I've never been convicted, or if I have, all of those have been expunged from my record

Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  14:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having just read the linked article about the witches of Lorraine; it helps me to feel a bit more charitable toward what is essentially a naff line-dancin' song.
Now if only somebody could come up with a credible excuse for me not to dislike "Violet".

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  15:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, I've never heard anything of the witch connection, nice sleuthing!

"Oh dear / I seem to have joined the Cult of Frank."
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  20:47:00  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sir Rock. I'll take it even further and say that this is the single worst song Frank has ever recorded. It's terrible. I give it 2 out of 10 on an unweighted scale.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  20:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely one of my least favourite tracks of his entire career, but the lyrical insight almost raises my esteem for it if only because it epitomizes the appearance vs reality about Frank's songs that I really enjoy.

"Oh dear / I seem to have joined the Cult of Frank."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  02:54:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's very country, but I still like it
It's jaina blues and massif centrale that are not working for me entirely

If I feel funny and want to play air pedalsteel this is the song to put on!

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  07:35:02  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do we think it's time for a new song?

I joined the cult of Derek/ because Dereks don't run
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  13:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favourite Frank songs, and definately one of the best on SMYT. Great lyrics, and even though it's not the most inventive things he's ever done, it's still 100x better than "when will happiness find me again".
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  00:43:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No way. Goodbye Lorraine is cool but WWHFMA is SMYT's best song.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  13:21:54  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about this song today, and wondering why "a picture from the 1970s" would make Frank nostalgic for Lorraine. I mean, if this song is at all autobiographical (and we have no real evidence that it is, I suppose), wasn't Frank 14 when the seventies ended? I guess the picture just gave him a general sense of nostalgia, or something.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  17:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that we needed to bump a few song threads to continue the forum's recent revival. Good work, effo.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  15:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great song, a brilliant number. I resisted it and Show Me Your Tears for a long long time. Too country, too mid-tempo, too fucking country and now I love the album. It has a perfect flow to it, when I'm in the sad mood, the contemplative fugue, I enjoy listening to this record. This song has the classic Frank moment, maybe about a little over a minute into the song, the chords he plays and the vocal melody lift the song to another level. He does it so much, creating amazing juxtapositions with simple chords; such beauty.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  16:55:09  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm always drawn to these flip the bird kind of lyrics in songs: Now she sends me perfumed letters and I throw them all away. They make me laugh, especially now I've grown a little cold hearted in my older age. I'm now thinking of Pistolero's Tiny Heart and smiling to myself.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000