1811 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  20:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interview with Dave! Hot damn.

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=57892

Magic casts spell on Pixies' Lovering
By Brett Milano
Thursday, December 9, 2004

``I electrify a pickle that glows.''

If ever a line sounded like a Pixies lyric waiting to happen, that would be it. But that's Pixies drummer David Lovering talking, and that's something he really plans to do before the reunited Boston band takes the stage for its sold-out homecoming show at Avalon tonight.

In his other life, Lovering is a magician. That was his first love before the Pixies, and he's pursued it seriously during the past four years, putting away his drums in favor of performing at magic clubs. He's also opened for rock performers, including Pixies frontman Frank Black while the band was split up. But tonight will be the first time he's been his own band's opening act.

``I studied magic for a summer when I was 11, and it stayed with me,'' Lovering said from a tour break this week. ``Then a few years ago I went to the International Brotherhood of Magicians with my friend Grant-Lee Phillips, and it blew both of us away. I've been working on it from that point on, and I'm in Hollywood where there are tons of magicians. As a musician the Pixies are a hard thing to follow up, so magic has been it for me. I even sleep with a deck of cards in my hand.''

Don't expect a typical magic act, however. Calling his act scientific phenomenalism, Lovering is more like a mad scientist and performance artist.

``It's a combination of eveything I love. I run out there in a lab coat. At first it's just me running around and being a nut, then I bring out a meteorite that gives me special powers and the magic starts. One of the tricks I do is to take a plastic water cooler, put a little rubbing alcohol in it, and swing it around until it works up a vapor. Then I place it on a pedestal, put in some fireplace matches, and it shoots off a fireball. Meanwhile I'm playing Led Zeppelin's `Rock and Roll,' and this happens just as Jimmy Page goes into his solo.''

As for the pickle trick, he says it's the most dangerous thing he does. ``I put forks in both ends and plug it into an AC socket, and you can get killed doing that. Actually there was one time when I almost did, but I didn't realize it. You should have seen the crowd laugh when I jumped back. They thought that was the biggest kick - my imminent death onstage.''

As for the Pixies' future, there will likely be more dates and maybe even an album next year, he said. ``We're taking six months off after the holidays, then we'll see about picking it up again. The idea of a record is being tossed around; we're taking that one day at a time. If there is a record, it's going to have to kick ass. We've been on a nice buzz through the year, being the forefathers of alternative rock or whatever they're calling it now.''

The stage divides us/He is on one side of it/I am far away - Frank haiku

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1656 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  21:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WoW Nice to hear from Dave and I like how he says the new pixies cd has to kick ass

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Lex
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  01:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"But tonight will be the first time he's been his own band's opening act."

Bollock$!!! He opened the show at Brixton on the 3rd June, and it was a great show too.
The magnet trick WOW!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  02:16:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice interview
6 months is great
after 6 months I will be able to get excited again
not that I'm bored now
but I want other setlists, album
etc.

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  16:37:52  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're supposed to tour the US next summer. They're not sure if it'll be a festival tour or just a regular tour like it is now. 3 out of 4 Pixies (all except Kim) weren't sure if they'd record another album. When we were hanging out with Joey on Tuesday night, he said he didn't know if they would or not.

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  16:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God I loves the inside info. They didn't happen to say what the factors were in deciding whether or not to make a new album, did they? Like, oh we'll do it if we don't get bored/hate eachother before then. Or, oh we'll do it if our new songs don't suck and we can't get a good deal, blah blah. Isn't Honeycomb supposed to be released next summer? I hope Frank gets his butt back on the road before then.

The stage divides us/He is on one side of it/I am far away - Frank haiku
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  20:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

They're supposed to tour the US next summer. They're not sure if it'll be a festival tour or just a regular tour like it is now. 3 out of 4 Pixies (all except Kim) weren't sure if they'd record another album. When we were hanging out with Joey on Tuesday night, he said he didn't know if they would or not.

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

Thanks El Barto!!!!!

What great news!!! I am so glad they are taking a good chunk of time to get some R&R and quality time with the fams. Hopefully they will come back to the twin cities.

Wow Kim is convinced!!! You rock KIM!!!!!

The funny thing is that Dave's like the album needs to kick ass... it's going to kick ass if they do it... i can't imagine a non-kick ass album....

you know what would be really cool? to do what prince did... play a big show... maybe the pixies would play a festival... and then have a small after show for like 50 to 500 people at like $100 - 150 a pop... that would be soo cool to see them twice in a night like those lucky ducks for the two 12/18 shows!!!!

Thank you Pixies!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 12/09/2004 20:25:12
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  05:39:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the pixies should never do something that prince did

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  06:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lex

"But tonight will be the first time he's been his own band's opening act."

Bollock$!!! He opened the show at Brixton on the 3rd June, and it was a great show too.
The magnet trick WOW!!!!!

I was gonna pull this up. Damn lazy journalists.

"4000 posts I reach/And still not look as good as Dean, hmm?"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  13:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

yeah... writing songs, playing concerts, selling music..making videos... yeah the pixies should never do that.

Just poking fun
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  11:35:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

yeah... writing songs, playing concerts, selling music..making videos... yeah the pixies should never do that.

Just poking fun

I knew someone was gonna say that
quite fair too

Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  09:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Daisy's from the Twin Cities. Prince is a minor state religion here. We LOVES our Prince.

Something Prince did the Pixies should do: Record "Cream." That would rock.

Something Prince did the Pixies should *not* do: Go do to door for the Jehovah's Witnesses. I hope I don't offend any JW adherents, but that thing he did really freaked some people out! He kept one couple at the door for more than 20 minutes ... wouldn't leave!
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  04:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only 20 minutes? That's a bit lightweight for a Witness, isn't it? ;-)

The JWs used to knock on my door with metronomic regularity. Then I got one, and I kept HER talking for 90 minutes, by the end of which she'd agreed with the death penalty, first strike use of nuclear weapons, and the assassination for strategic purposes of certain world leaders. And after all that, I still didn't buy her book.

They haven't been back, funnily enough.....
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  12:59:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I said I couldn't talk that much
because I had birthday-guests
it was true too

Go to Top of Page

MightyYar
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  22:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My roommate in college had the best response that I have ever seen. He got sick of them coming to our door when he was trying to skip class in peace, so he picked up a bunch of Wiccan literature that he found at the student center. The next time they came around, he actually let them in and allowed them to start their spiel. When they started handing him pamphlets and such, he handed the Wiccan stuff back and said something like, "Have you heard the word of Satan, my lord and master?"

Yeah, they never came back either.

(Yes, I know that Wicca is not Satanism, and so did my roommate. It was still funny.)
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  03:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so no rich gilbert in the next year ?

well, sorry for putting some stains on this euphoria, but i do long for FB&TC's - just for personal reasons.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  06:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MightyYar

My roommate in college had the best response that I have ever seen. He got sick of them coming to our door when he was trying to skip class in peace, so he picked up a bunch of Wiccan literature that he found at the student center. The next time they came around, he actually let them in and allowed them to start their spiel. When they started handing him pamphlets and such, he handed the Wiccan stuff back and said something like, "Have you heard the word of Satan, my lord and master?"

Yeah, they never came back either.

I like that. I once told myself that if they ever got brave again, I'd open the door, greet them and then shout back into the house "For crying out loud, can't you get that goat to lie still? You know what a sod it is washing the blood out of the carpet...."

Alas, not had the chance.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  07:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my best jehovah's witness story was when they came to my apt. in pittsburgh, i opened the door and they started in - i held up my hand and said "i'm a theology major, and i have a few questions for you first..." and i proceeded to ask about a few of their more, ahem, "questionable" pieces of dogma. after that they just said, "clearly you will not be receptive to our message of salvation" and left and never came back.

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  08:15:49  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like to watch from my window and press the buzzer really quickly and watch them go for it over and over again, finally I buzz them in and stare at them thru the peephole (they can tell I am doing it)...and then when they give up, I knock on the window to get their attention and wave with a big dumb smile.(Ive done the same routine more than once)...

screwing with people you have no respect for is fun:

One time my girlfriend owed money to a cell company that she thought was a scam, so she stopped paying, when the collection agency called, I did this:

RING, RING -
me: Hello?
him: hello, can I speak to missus _____ _____?
me: she's not here...
him: is she at work?
me: yes, would you like the number?
him: that would be great, yes please.
me: it's 1-800-EAT-SH-T! (CLICK!)
5 SECONDS LATER - RING -
me: hello?
him: I can do this all day, if that's what you want...
me: sorry, I gave you the number of the 'how's my driving' people, if you wanna reach her, you'd wanna call 1-800-blow-me, they'll put you thru to her.
him: listen-
me:(CLICK!)
1 HOUR LATER - RING, RING, RING -
me: hello?
him: go to hell (CLICK!)

....AND THEY HAVEN'T CALLED SINCE.

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 12/17/2004 08:21:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: