Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Pixies reunion leading to overexposure..?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  19:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No--I don't mean the band is being overexposed in the media, all FB coverage is good and I know this reunion is helping lots of new people become fans of the Pixies.

I'm addressing the hardcore Pixies/FB fans. Personally, I've found in the year or so since this reunion, my Pixies listening has decreased drastically. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's the tours that keep playing the same songs over and over, and initially getting all the disc live bootlegs of the shows. I'm just not sure, but I definitely have not been reaching for Pixies discs for the first time in the 9 or so years I've been enamoured with this band. Has anyone else found this problem?

It might be a coincidence, with a band with 5 albums there is only so many times you can listen to said albums before they need a break. Usually when I play their albums its in a crowd setting/small party, as Pixies are always crowd pleasers. For personal one on one enjoyment though, I can't think of the last time I've listened to a Pixies album.

Is it that hipper than though syndrome that even Frank Black admits to having (when he mentioned he could never go see a Quentin Tarantino movie because of all the hype surrounding him, it just put him off). 5 years ago I'd be ecstatic to find someone is a Pixies fan, now I almost assume it.

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  03:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll admit - Pixies fandom can no longer be regarded as a "coolness" barometer, but the thing I find myself thinking when I (still) reach for the old back-catalogue is "geez it took so long for everyone to realise how good this stuff actually is".

It's hard not to let "snobbery" influence our perception of popular culture, and there will always be an equal number of people flocking towards and reacting against what is perceived as cool and hip. Neither reaction is particularly honest, but its damn hard not to be drawn into or revolt against!

Forget the cults I got me a whole church!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  04:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jeeeeez, you people have problems.....

"i write songs. i record them. i go on tour and play them. that's all. [...]" - FB

it's only the music that count's - and if you like it. and not if 100 or a billion other people like or dislike it too.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

JustJeff
- FB Fan -

53 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  08:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I never thought I'd see 'em and I am grateful for the
opportunity. trendy or not, the people that come to
Pixies shows are usually very cool.
I hope the band makes a shit ton of money and
do whatever they want with it.

Every "hot" artist these days gets overexposed, and it bothers
me on a cultural level, because it takes people to expose people.
but The Pixies seem to be doing it there own way on their own terms.

When all the hoopla dies down, and it always does,
Kim, Joe, Charles and David will still be Kim, Joe, Charles and
David and the people who frequent this site will always love 'em.

For me, the Pixies saved rock and roll in 2004.
If they did that at the risk of overexposure...
...God bless 'em, may they never not rock, forever.
Go to Top of Page

Aurora-borealis
- FB Fan -

Denmark
131 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  11:23:52  Show Profile  Click to see Aurora-borealis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well said JJ!
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  14:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone feels they are in danger of overdosing, then slooooooooow down. Listen to something else for a while! My goodness!

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  14:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Put on a fucking Valhalla record already.

Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  19:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think many of you misread my post, I said I didn't mind that the Pixies were being overexposed in the media. I can't stand that mentality that "I wouldn't want FB to become a millionaire, I want him all to myself" I wasn't wishing that on FB. What I was wondering was whether any other big fans are having trouble listening to as much Pixies lately with the market being so heavily Pixies-saturated?
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  11:09:50  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I haven't really heard much more Pixies music outside my own CDs as of late than I have in the past.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  17:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

What I was wondering was whether any other big fans are having trouble listening to as much Pixies lately with the market being so heavily Pixies-saturated?

I have to agree with VoVat. Well, I don't if I don't wanna. But I do.

Living in England, I haven't seen or heard too much of the Ps, other than your little quotes and nods from the music mags, and Channel 4 promising some footage and then not delivering. They're not on radio much either, if ever.

Any exposure is well deserved and overdue, but really they still don't exist here to the majority.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  00:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like there are natural ebbs and flows with this thing. I've personally listened to more Pixies this year than I had in the previous ten thanks mainly to Frank Black Francis and the Pale Boys' interpretations making me want to hear the REAL thing again. The last decade for me has mainly been about Frank Black listening. But I know what you mean-I almost didn't listen to ANY Pixies before going to the reunion show because I didn't want to be burned out on it. Similarly, I rarely listen to TOTY anymore, even though it's my favorite, because I burned it out over the years. Don't like it any less, just know it a little much for daily listening.
Go to Top of Page

kevins
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  06:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as long as that psuedo intellectual bastard who ruined radiohead for me doesn't start liking them im cool with it

that bastard said he hated them. possibly becuase he hates me and when my friend showed him the cd, he knew it was mine.

my goal in life is to shit on this mans car, not because he dislikes the pixies...other reasons
Go to Top of Page

charlesthompson
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
188 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  12:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think JJ has a good point....all popular bands get overplayed even when they're total bollox!!!! i lost my credablity for mtv ages ago....no consistensy and i dont know how on earth people can listen to this r'n'b/hip-hop crap that they call music nowadays...but anyway, back to my point....yeah, mtv sucks...

i think that i remain the same about the pixies if not even more hot on them...but i have to admit i do feel a bit of jealousy for all the people who havent discovered the pixies yet and are about to do so...id love to be able to forget everything i know about them and learn it all again....nothing beats that first time you sit down with surfer rosa or whatever you want and you just cant move in fear of disturbing the sound...

i like to stray of my point
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  11:47:35  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Itchload-

I definitely know where you're coming from. It seems like a lot of my own friends who didn't give two shits about the Pixies or had a basically lukewarm reaction whenver I put some on are now all of a sudden being drawn into the music. Is it the hype? I like to think they have just come to their senses and whetted their tastes a little, for the better.

that being said, most of the people that I single-handedly turned onto the Pixies (one way or another) came to the DC shows a week ago, so I had a lot more company while watching one of my favorite bands of all time. Not the worst fate.

Still, I know what you mean...I basically hear so much Pixies from all these other people now that my own personal urge to throw on one of their albums has noticeably lessened.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  13:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PsychicTwin

Is it the hype? I like to think they have just come to their senses and whetted their tastes a little, for the better.

If it is the hype and or over exposure, then the Pixies have the songs and the sound to keep 'em hooked. If they have any decent taste for music that is. (Is it biase of me to say that, seeing that we and I are fans from way back? Maybe I'm the one with bad taste. I should be buying top 40. Nehhh!).

quote:
...I basically hear so much Pixies from all these other people now that my own personal urge to throw on one of their albums has noticeably lessened.

Yep, I can understand that. That's why we're talking here and not over at Pixiesmusic. The Pixies thing? Been there done it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000