Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Anyone from Detroit? I need some help...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrGrieves138
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  22:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friends and I will be making a 4-hour journey north to Detroit on the 18th to see the Pixies at the Star Theatre. I was wondering, first off, if there's anything we need to know about this place, any weird rules or ways they run the place.

But what I really want to know is: what good music shops are there in Detroit? I'd love to know of any record stores or rare/independent music stores in the area and if you can, give me their addresses. My friends and I all collect vinyl, so that'd be great to see, but I also wouldn't mind finding a CD store with good rare stuff.

Not just anything rare, obviously, to be more specific:
Gang of Four, The Boys, The Nipple Erectors, Wire, The Rezillos, The Wipers, Radiators From Space, Television Personalities, etc., etc. I'm big into the old punk shite.

While we're on the topic, for vinyl I'm looking to get my hands on the first Leonard Cohen album and stuff by Woody Guthrie, Billy Lee Riley, Jesse Fuller, Tommy Collins, Stiff Little Fingers, etc., etc.

Where would I be able to find this stuff (or something along those lines) at?

MrGrieves138
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone take any pictures at the Nov 18 show in Detroit?
If so, I'd love it if you could post them.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  16:41:50  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I had seen this earlier...the best music store with tons of vinyl that I know of is outside of Detroit, in Roseville, called Melodies and Memories. There's a lot of music in there...bootlegs, too. I haven't been there in a while but there's a pretty hot collection there. It's on Gratiot just north of 9 Mile, if I remember correctly. There's another one on Gratiot just north of 11 Mile/696 which the name escapes me right now...I think they have vinyl there. There is/was another good one in Royal Oak, but I'm not sure if it's around anymore.

Sorry this comes a day late...how was the show anyway?

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
Go to Top of Page

MrGrieves138
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  14:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, we went down Gratiot too. Thanks for the info, though, we might trek back up there again some time.

The show, as expected, was amazing. What other answer could I give?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000