Go Find Your Saint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7440 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  07:33:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed that "Go find your saint" sounds a lot like "Go fuck yourself"? Just wondering.

Denis

"If you do 7-Up, you can't ever do Coke or Pepsi. You've got to hold out for the best deal possible. It's about me being a smart businesswoman as well as a musician." - Jessica Simpson

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  11:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only noticed that it sounds like 'Can I get a witness'.

But, hey, maybe it's just me...

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  11:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it does sound like that (go fuck yourself that is)

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  01:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it sounds exactly like: Go Find Your Saint.
Although "until I say the words, I knew would upset her..." sort of fits in neatly with the other GFY.

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avid-Fan

Although "until I say the words, I knew would upset her..." sort of fits in neatly with the other GFY.

I took it that the words he knew would upset here were something to the effect of "I'm ready to have a child."

At which point, she replies, hey, if that's what you're looking for, it ain't me, babe. So go ahead and start looking for someone else to be "your saint".

But then again, maybe I think too much about stuff like this (although it does seem rather transparent to me).

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7440 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:27:37  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who knows what the song is about... I tried to transcribe the lyrics and couldn't understand a word.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6028 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  11:52:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it does sound like go fuck yourself
nice

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6028 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  11:55:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:
Originally posted by Avid-Fan

I took it that the words he knew would upset here were something to the effect of "I'm ready to have a child."

At which point, she replies, hey, if that's what you're looking for, it ain't me, babe. So go ahead and start looking for someone else to be "your saint".

But then again, maybe I think too much about stuff like this (although it does seem rather transparent to me).

~ Peter Radiator

speaking of,
in violet he sings violet is the flower of fertility
that does seem to refer to that situation

Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  14:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Who knows what the song is about... I tried to transcribe the lyrics and couldn't understand a word.[/i]

I agree that none of us actually know what the song is meant to be about to Frank himself, and unless he takes it upon himself to explain it, we shan't.

However, based on the rough version many of us have heard so far - and coupled with the seemingly straighforward accounts of Frank's breakup that he himself has offered up in a number of interviews, there seems to be some sort of equivocacy going on in the lyrics to many of these songs.

Whether or not the record will ultimately be viewed (correctly or incorrectly) as "his Blood On The Tracks," I think all that can ever matter in a case like this is not the importance of what the song is about, but what it appears to be about to reasonably informed listeners.

Whether we ultimately enjoy or dislike a song is based purely on our own subjective inferences, and with that in mind, I find the lyrics to many of the songs on Honeycomb to quite candidly reference Frank's desire for children, his breakup with his longtime wife, his acknowledged mood change and "loosening up" as a result of therapy and doctor prescribed "chill pills," and his romantic relationship with his current life partner.

I may be wrong, but even if I am, that's OK, because he (like most impressionistic songwriters) willingly offers up his art to the public without a guidebook or manual on how to interpret the work. They expect confusion and self-absorbed reflection on the part of the listeners.

Now, whether or not he was alluding to the phrase "go fuck yourself" is another question...

~ Peter Radiator

Edited by - peter radiator on 11/13/2004 07:45:35
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  15:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well stated, Peter.
Three Cheers for self-absorbed reflection!!!
I need music, and thank the Lord I've got Frank's, to help me reflect upon me, myself and I, and all of my many interactions in this world, whether they be good, bad or ugly.
I prefer to intially come up with my own impressions, emotions, and conclusions concerning the music, and then, later, I enjoy reading what Frank has to say about it.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6028 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  15:24:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whether or not the record will ultimately be viewed (correctly or incorrectly) as "his Blood On The Tracks," I think all that can ever matter in a case like this is not the importance of what the song is about, but what it appears to be about to reasonably informed listeners.

well SMYT was already his Blood On The Tracks
according to various reviews

Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  07:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

Ahh, yes.

But they were wrong, weren't they?

To me, that was a very shallow interpretation of an album that seemed preoccupied with a number of different themes. Most rock critics are complete dumbshits (I should know), and anytime someone releases an album that even mentions the word "divorce" they start calling it "their Blood On The Tracks."

In the case of SMYT, I think this was a knee-jerk reaction, and while I don't think there are too many overt similarities between the version of Honeycomb in circulation now, and Dylan's 1974 opus, a much more reasoned argument could be made to equate those two, than in the case of SMYT.

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  08:19:21  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to think 'Weird at my school' was 'wearin' my spurs' and every so often I forget and think it's that again.

--

Moving from the clown to the jester will mean moving from similar to same, from alike to identical, from comparable to analogous. Though applied differently, the colours used on one can be used on another, and a couple of changes of costume will rapidly transform the jester into a clown and the clown into a jester. Strictly speaking, they almost duplicate each other as regards clothes and function, the only difference between them, from a social point of view, is that clowns do not usually visit the palaces of kings.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6028 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  09:11:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

Ahh, yes.

But they were wrong, weren't they?

To me, that was a very shallow interpretation of an album that seemed preoccupied with a number of different themes. Most rock critics are complete dumbshits (I should know), and anytime someone releases an album that even mentions the word "divorce" they start calling it "their Blood On The Tracks."

In the case of SMYT, I think this was a knee-jerk reaction, and while I don't think there are too many overt similarities between the version of Honeycomb in circulation now, and Dylan's 1974 opus, a much more reasoned argument could be made to equate those two, than in the case of SMYT.

~ Peter Radiator

they can't be both his blood on the tracks, can they?

Edited by - billgoodman on 11/13/2004 11:15:11
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  10:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank's done the words-that-sound-like-other-words thing before. i wouldn't doubt if he's conscious of it

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  17:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i was listening to the album without paying attention to track names i thought it was go fuck yourself too, but then i saw the track name and relaised it must be go find yourself.

but after seeing this thread, i realised, looking at the genius of some of frank's other song lyrics (acrostics, acronyms, backwards lyrics and general word play), this is probably meant to sond like go fuck yourself. i like this theory.

I joined the Cult of Pi / Because it's cool
Go to Top of Page

leica
- FB Fan -

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  16:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newo

I used to think 'Weird at my school' was 'wearin' my spurs' and every so often I forget and think it's that again.

I do that all the time, with various different songs. That's actually one of the best things about rock music. Sometimes you just make up the lyrics that you want.
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  14:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off topic, but for a classical turn on the "f*** off" thread ...

I'm singing in a Bach cantate (BW 140, "Wachet Auf") this year. Hear it sometime. Opens with "Wach auf!" I can NOT keep a straight face when we sing it/bellow it. It sounds well, like "F*** Off!"

And I'm a complete child.

Yes, I agree, Frank sounds like he's singing something else.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  23:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kind of like how sittin here wishin' on the "cement floor" sounds like "semen flow," or vice versa

Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  00:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
expanding on the topic a bit, here's what I'd been humming to Weezer's Buddy Holly before I got to read the lyrics:
oo ee oo I don't trust that Buddy Holly
oh oh and no Mary Tyler Moore
I don't care what they say about her silly wig
I don't care 'bout that

now I can't get used to the real lyrics

and in Gigantic: "And he said No..."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6028 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  02:54:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
why won't you trust Buddy Holly?
ohh well, Rivers Cuomo is paraniod

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000