Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Frank Interview - sexnrocknroll.com (new?)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  20:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this isn't a repost!

http://www.sexnrocknroll.com/articles/article_pixies.php

REBIRTH TO THE PIXIES

Back in February, fans of good music rejoiced upon hearing news that the godfathers of alternative rock—and one of the greatest rock bands, period—were reuniting. After all, it had been a dozen years since Boston four-piece the Pixies split acrimoniously after releasing a handful of critically acclaimed albums, including 1989’s seminal Doolittle. For years it seemed as if the group whose sound had inspired Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” along with countless other modern rock standards, would remain the “band behind the bands.” Thankfully, such is not the case. For the past six months, the Pixies have toured relentlessly, selling out concerts worldwide. To mark this momentous occasion, group frontman Frank Black sat down to talk the music that moves him, the music that doesn’t, the merits of Pacific Rim cuisine, and more.

S&R-n-R: Name a song that really gets you.

Frank Black: I’ve always liked P.F. Sloan’s “Eve Of Destruction.” It’s the performance by the singer, Barry McGuire, and, um, I would say it’s also the chord progression and melody. And then the lyrics are a nice third-place—kind of dark, moody, apocalyptic. That’s all fine and dandy, but it’s really the melody and the chord progression that really do it for me, that move me emotionally.

S&R-n-R: Who, in your opinion, is the best rock band of your generation?

Frank Black: X. It’s a combination of . . . let’s see: The production of the records is a big one. It’s dry, it’s very simple, it’s punky but it’s not nasty sounding. It’s very warm sounding. Very warm records. It’s a combination of the songwriting and Billy Zoom’s guitar work. I mean, fantastic drummer. I don’t know—they’re just an all-around good band. They’ve got some different things going on with the skewed harmonies and such. And it’s nice when lyricists try to be poetic. They seem to be more concerned with writing poetic lyrics where something meant something truly as opposed to just being pretentious. You know, those kinda faux-heartfelt stuff that happens so often when people try to be heartfelt, they don’t really show it. I mean, I really like “Blue Spark.” That’s one of my favorite songs.

S&R-n-R: Is there a band working today that you really like?

Frank Black: I can’t say that there’s anyone out there that really knocks me out. I just haven’t paid attention enough probably more than anything. And there’s so many in my peripheral vision that so instantly do not knock me out.

S&R-n-R: Do you think old-school rock has validity in today’s rock?

Frank Black: In defense of some of the bands that echo the bands of yesteryear, I don’t think that’s a bad thing necessarily if more people did it, because certain standards, certain styles, are formed, and then they get kinda chucked away too fast, because music is kinda too tied up with fashion, so things only last for a couple of seasons. It’s like, “Oh, yeah. We’re done with that whole stupid punk thing.” Or “We’re done with that whole stupid disco thing.” I think there are things of great value in older music, so that’s a shame, I think.

S&R-n-R: What do you make of all of the competition facing music nowadays—the videogames and everything else vying for people’s attention?

Frank Black: I can see that, but I think just as soon as people run out of money, just as soon as the economy gets bad, then things instantly revert to the simple things. The idea of music that comes out of a record player, so therefore you need records or even just sitting around and singing songs or going to a dance or watching live concerts or going to the movies. I think all the stuff made out of plastic, all of the gadget-y stuff, potentially disappears pretty fast. As soon as people are having trouble paying their broadband connection—there goes all the computer stuff. Gone overnight! And it could be gone overnight. I mean, shit, there’s a war on, and we all gotta pinch pennies! People go back to the stuff that doesn’t cost a lot of money and the stuff that you don’t have to hand money to over and over again. Stuff that you get for free, stuff that your older brother gives you, stuff that you can get out of the local library.

S&R-n-R: Is there a certain type of music you don’t like?

Frank Black: Not really. I like most everything. Although, every once in a while, you’ll hear a contemporary country song and go, “That’s pretty bad.” I like country music, and I get it—I know what country is supposed to be all about—but I don’t like that slick, contemporary country. Anyone in the Country Top 40—it’s just like, [sound of disgust].

S&R-n-R: As a songwriter, where do you hear the Pixies influence the most?

Frank Black: I don’t. I really don’t.

S&R-n-R: Did you ever meet Kurt Cobain?

Frank Black: Nope.

S&R-n-R: What do you think of Nirvana?

Frank Black: Um . . . It’s a little poppy for my taste, but I don’t think it’s bad or anything like that. Certainly, you know, there are millions of others that think me wrong. For loud rock music, I tend to listen to stuff that’s less poppy or more dumb—more classic rock oriented. Y’know, like The Rolling Stones or something like that. For more more contemporary stuff, if I listen to loud stuff, it’s probably gonna be more punky, like Minor Threat or even just something like The Clash or something like that, which is not real extreme music or anything like that, but to me it’s less poppy. I mean, I never sat down and listened to a Nirvana record, so I can’t really give it the fairest assessment, but I guess it’s a little serious or something. It doesn’t quite have the humor that I gravitate to in a lot of music. It doesn’t have a wink, or at least I miss it. If it’s there, I don’t get it.

S&R-n-R: What’s it like playing with the Pixies now as opposed to before?

Frank Black: A lot of it feels exactly the same. It feels more like when we first started out—the happy mood. There’s not any tension between the band members. Or not like a ton of it. Y’know, the first time around, people were young, they’re not as clever as they are when they’re older. When you’re young you’re more arrogant. And chances are you probably imbibe a lot more in drugs and alcohol, so that just kind of messes everything up. So, it’s got the good, happy feeling that it did at the beginning. I think, somewhere along the line, I got probably pretty grouchy, and that sort of messed things up.

S&R-n-R: Is there something you like to do by yourself that not too many people know about?

Frank Black: I drive a lot. Just for pleasure. Sometimes I’ll get in the Cadillac and drive around the city or the country, kind of trying to get lost basically. Y’know, just see where roads lead. Sometimes I’ll listen to music, or I’ll just listen to NPR news or whatever. Or I’ll take the long way to where I’m going instead of the fast way.

S&R-n-R: Beneath your wild-eyed banshee wails, would you say you¹re a pretty normal guy?

Frank Black: My girlfriend, Violet, has two kids: Annabelle is four and Julian is six. On Sunday nights, we like to go to [Portland, Oregon's] Gateway Mall. There are some rides there. And there’s an arcade. I play Skee Ball and all that stuff. And we go to the park and play on the swings. We like to go out to eat, too. I’m getting into the whole Pacific Rim food. Sort of Northwest Japan . . . It’s more like a fusion. There’s this real simple dish I like called Bento. It’s just like rice and teriyaki and something on it. It’s kind of Japanese, but it’s very American in its presentation. This is the kind of stuff you get at little huts and kiosks and even at the mall sometimes. I go to this place called Café Yum. They serve what they call Bento. It’s not authentic Japanese Bento or anything. It’s just rice with teriyaki and a hunk of salmon or something. Good stuff.

—Rob Zimmer

Around here, intolerance will not be tolerated

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  22:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent seen that. That was a pretty cool interview! :)
Frank Black likes X

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  23:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what an excellent interview - not the typical bullshit questions

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  00:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the love for X was nice to see. "they’re just an all-around good band."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  10:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe Gateway mall is in the Eugene/Springfield area. Then again, I don't remember there being any rides there....
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  10:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, neat interview! Funny how he says Nirvana is 'too poppy'..haha Also funny how he doesn't listen to much recent music...that's all i listen to...!

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  11:35:13  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I thought the Nirvana thing was weird, because I think the Pixies are poppier. Admittedly, though, I haven't actually heard that many Nirvana songs (or at least not that many songs I realized were Nirvana), and Frank and I might have different definitions of "poppy." I mostly just think Pixies songs are more immediately catchy.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  12:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think perhaps he meant "poppy" in the "mainstream" sense. Nevermind was a pop record, but their early stuff certainly wasn't. There was a Frank quote about "Pulp Fiction" a long time ago. The interviewer was asking him if he'd seen it, and Frank said something along the lines of "No, I haven't seen it yet because everyone keeps talking about it. If everyone thinks something is great, I'll avoid it. It's my snobbery coming into play, I admit it." I'm roughly summarizing here. I'll bet that attitude applies to music, too, and he gets asked about Kurt and Nirvana a hell of a lot.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  13:37:00  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess I see the word "poppy" as meaning stuff that's catchy, light, and fun. Of course, a lot of mainstream music isn't like that, and what's catchy and fun can be relative anyway. I think Pixies songs tend to be too noisy to be considered light, but those other two adjectives I used fit the Pixies quite well, and don't really fit what I've heard of Nirvana and other Pixies-influenced grunge bands.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  08:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nirvana are poppy because a lot of Kurt Cobains songs had quite strong instantly likable melodies in my opinions, at least on Nevermind. That's generally what I call poppy - instantly likeable melodies... I dunno.
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  11:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nirvana was and still is a band for teenagers and like clothes for teenagers you wear them already torned, for a whole year or more (my...)it is devoided of any "classe" and it does not suit you at all, and when you are 25 you say: I wish I never had worn those things, I would have rather been smart when I was 16, and you look at the pictures with mixed feelings (remorse and shame)... I personnaly never wore those kind of clothes... Nirvana is a joke... If you feel nostalgic, listen the the Vines...

"I don't need a cure, I need a Final Solution"

HW
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  12:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hWolsky

Nirvana was and still is a band for teenagers and like clothes for teenagers you wear them already torned, for a whole year or more (my...)it is devoided of any "classe" and it does not suit you at all, and when you are 25 you say: I wish I never had worn those things, I would have rather been smart when I was 16, and you look at the pictures with mixed feelings (remorse and shame)... I personnaly never wore those kind of clothes... Nirvana is a joke... If you feel nostalgic, listen the the Vines...

HW

Well, I find the above statement quite sad, but it's one that I hear a lot. It always pisses me off when people who listen to rock music feel the need to distance themselves from things that are viewed as "cool" or commercially successful. Just because Nirvana started a trend doesn't mean it should be dismissed as one. You don't have to dress a certain way to enjoy music. Kurt certainly didnt start his own clothing line, people dressed like him because they liked his style. Saying it's a band for people who liked ripped jeans is like saying Pixies are a band for people who like baggy shirts and plaid - just because the band wears it doesn't mean you have to. Form your own opinion, make your own decisions, be your own person. I certainly won't be mad to feel ashamed of something I was into when I was a teenager just because it's not fashionable now.

I don't mean to come across as some huge Nirvana cheerleader, and I HATE HATE HATE myself for contributing to yet another thread about Nirvana in a FB forum, but the reason your statement struck a nerve with me is that there's nothing in it about music. It's all about clothes and being the flavor of the month. Until we can get past this we're gonna have to keep wading through crappy bands who are pushed up the charts by their good looks and cool clothes. Will Frank ever be as famous as Kurt? No. Why? Because Kurt looked like a model, and Frank is fat and bald. Ridiculous and competely irrelevant when we're talking about MUSICIANS? Absolutely.

I'm interested to know which bands you think DO have "classe" and are not a "joke." I'm sure you didn't mean the Vines, that must have been some sort of typo.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  12:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Classes", let me think... ROXY MUSIC, The Velvet Underground were smart, the PIXIES are smart. PERE UBU is one of the most "classe" band I know (as U can see being smart "classe" for me is quite a wide conception, it's not about clothes)BOWIE IS (some are...). Being smart is having nothing to say but saying it well, it's the essence of what you may call Rock'n roll, which is not entertainment but which has a almost religious dimension (we know where music comes from...) The "band we should stop spelling its name" was not. Songs were weak and full of passion (passion is not a good term for me) and definitely out of date now. If you know ROXY MUSIC (I mean their whole work) you can understand what I say... An d watch out (the world behind you...) I am a "réactionnaire progressiste".

Boys Keep Swinging...

HW
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  12:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And by the way, I rank the Vines with Placebo... Below... below...

HW
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  13:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hWolsky, aka Ebb en frencais.
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  13:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"frAnçais", tell me more about that Ebb....

HW
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  14:46:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

quote:
Originally posted by hWolsky

HW

Just because Nirvana started a trend doesn't mean it should be dismissed as one. You don't have to dress a certain way to enjoy music. Form your own opinion, make your own decisions, be your own person. I certainly won't be mad to feel ashamed of something I was into when I was a teenager just because it's not fashionable now.

The problem is that nirvana didn't start a trend
not musically
and not in fashion
they were just a really good typical grunge band
grunge was getting popular and geffen needed a band
to bring on the market
they were the perfect band on the perfect time
don't want to bring them down
but what makes me mad is that they get credit for something
that they didn't deserve
their music was insanely good and their looks too
but it wasn't like there wasn't a whole scene already with
the same music and the same looks. I'm not saying they were as good as nirvana, some might have been better some might have been worhtless
I'm not saying that nirvana copied any of those bands, but just because they broke doesn't mean they invented it.

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  15:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

The problem is that nirvana didn't start a trend
not musically
and not in fashion
they were just a really good typical grunge band
grunge was getting popular and geffen needed a band
to bring on the market
they were the perfect band on the perfect time
don't want to bring them down
but what makes me mad is that they get credit for something
that they didn't deserve
their music was insanely good and their looks too
but it wasn't like there wasn't a whole scene already with
the same music and the same looks. I'm not saying they were as good as nirvana, some might have been better some might have been worhtless
I'm not saying that nirvana copied any of those bands, but just because they broke doesn't mean they invented it.

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"

Just because they didn't invent it doesn't mean they didn't start the trend either. Nirvana was the first grunge band that was well produced and distributed and promoted nationwide by a major label. Most of America didn't even know there was such thing as a Seattle music scene till Nirvana broke. It's not a trend if it's still just a scene in Seattle.

I can see why FB might not really get Nirvana though...they are pretty serious - there's a liitle but of dark humor, but overall I don't think it appeals much to anyone that isn't an angsty youngster, does it?
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  18:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know exactly how frank feels about nirvana-mainstream pop and i feel the same way and I hate the vines eck

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  17:11:10  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Songs were weak and full of passion (passion is not a good term for me)

Yeah, I think Mel Gibson ruined it for everyone.

Go to Top of Page

antrobin
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  16:50:00  Show Profile  Visit antrobin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good interview.

The Gatewall Mall, however, is not in Portland. It's in Springfield, OR, about 120 miles south of Portland.

Cafe Yum! is in Eugene, just across the river from Springfield.

I live here, and I never see Frank out and about. I guess I know where I'll be spending my Sunday nights now...

Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  09:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

quote:
Songs were weak and full of passion (passion is not a good term for me)

Yeah, I think Mel Gibson ruined it for everyone.

Phphphpht! Good one. It is true, never has one man ruined so much for so little ...

I know Nirvana gets overdiscussed, but the band is relevant to this board, as the are (whether we like it or not) tied to the Pixies' legacy. That offhand Cobain quote has been a blessing and a curse.

I disagree that Nirvana was a no-talent flavor of the month. They were one of the best examples of a particular music scene. They *were* dour, or at least Cobain was, but like the Pixies, they were intensely melodic. Cobain's contribution to rock was a certain sound (revitalized punk-pop reminiscent of the Buzzcocks and countless other older bands) and a clear articulation of depression and despondency. I mean he really nailed it. Probably too well.

I was 21 when they broke. The economy was s*** and the '80s had left everyone with a sugar hangover. So Nirvana's sound was just the thing. It was a gateway to all the other great music of the time. The Pixies, J&MC, Pearl Jam (yes, really), Soundgarden, RATM, the Chapel Hill bands, the UK sound -- there was an explosion of interesting new music at the time. It was glorious. It was a buffet.

Sure, I wore some flannel and had tresses of hair. It was a look. But it felt right at the time. Especially in 91-92. I did it because it was an alternative to the pastel polo-shirt w/a vest crap we'd been subjected to for years previous. You could see someone on the street and sort of nod at them. You GOT something. Probably like in the early years of punk.

I still listen to Nirvana, but with the same ear I have for Nick Drake. It's sad he couldn't have written through the temporary dark to find some sustaining light.

(Quick story: First time I heard Nirvana was on a friend's 90 min tape w/them on Side 2 and *Skid Row* on Side 1. I think that says everything!)

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
18 and life you got it, 18 and life you knooooooow! Nirvana helped a lot of us through some shit. Thanks to them, I found Frank. Thanks to them, the music world stopped for a brief moment in time and didn't know what to do with itself. Sure, the constant mentions of Kurt Cobain annoys me as a Pixie/FB fan wanting to hear about.... the Pixies/FB, and I'm sure Frank would be happy to not answer another question about influencing someone who's been dead for 10 years, but that band left a very positive imprint on a lot of people. And what the hell is wrong with pastel polo shirts and vests?
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm ... NOTHING.

(sniggers)
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh. That sounds snotty. Let's try again.

Ummmmm ... NOOOOTHING!!! : )))

(still sniggers)

(still has vest in closet)
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look, if you have a problem with Sebastian Bach I wanna know right now. Say what you want about vests and polos (and pastels, for that matter), but do not touch the Bach-man.
Go to Top of Page

Wade
- FB Fan -

115 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  14:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must everything degenerate in such fasion? ; )

I think it has been discussed somewhere that the Album Cover for "Nevermind," a baby in a pool reaching for a line and hook baited with american currency, was conceived because the band realized that appealing to a larger audience with their raw sound would need to be "catchier" and they progressed their "grunge" sound, with a goal in mind, of hitting it big and appealing to a larger audience.

I think NIRVANA would say that by that point, they had become "poppier" deliberately. Perhaps they'd tell you that "stealing" Pixies sound made them Poppier, and thus I can understand why some might find Pixies music more poppish than some Nirvana or part of their sound. Nirvana had to borrow to hit it big with that Teen Spirit. But personally, I think by making a deliberate move like this with their music, even pointing it out with Cover visuals, not to mention just their music in general the way I hear it, Nirvana was more "digestable by the masses" and no matter how much I happen to like them or their sound, sold out to an extent to appeal to a larger audience. That makes them more pop to me...

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  15:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot damn! Where have you been all my life, Dayanara!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black is my HERO!

The blood in my veins and the wind in my lungs
And I am breathless without you
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  16:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And he loves X almost as much as I do!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  00:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank isn't against pop music as is evidenced by his love for The Beatles and Beach Boys. He's probably sick of hearing about Nirvana. I would be too. I worshipped them when I was a teenager and still enjoy their music, but I'm sick of seeing any other band mentioned alongside my beloved Pixies. :P
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  06:51:02  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Look at it this way -- at least Kurt had the good sense to kill himself when he realized what he had become. So credit for that.

And I like Nirvana, though I haven't listened to my Nirvana CDs in quite a while. Though I was thinking of getting that box set, if only for the nostalgia!

quote:
(Quick story: First time I heard Nirvana was on a friend's 90 min tape w/them on Side 2 and *Skid Row* on Side 1. I think that says everything!)

quick one of my own: I had Nevermind on a 90 minute tape (before I had a CD player in my car I had to copy all CDs to tape for driving pleasure) and on the other side? Trompe le Monde. I think THAT says everything!

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  15:33:12  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank met Kurt when Kurt sprayed him with a fire extinguisher at Reading, but he never talked to him. Kurt had the oppurtunity to meet him, but was too nervous to do so, since he basically worshipped Frank.

And as much as I will always love the Pixies and the Catholics, I love Nirvana just a tad more, since I know almost everything about Kurt and their career, and they got me in to music in the first place.

Got coffee, got donuts, got wasted..

Edited by - spunXtain on 01/25/2005 15:35:13
Go to Top of Page

Haluo
- FB Fan -

Japan
13 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  11:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Haluo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey frank, we have tremendous variety of BENTOs in Japan. I promise you'll surprise. and are these tasty? they're fabulous. I promise you'll surprise that too.

i want you to eat this but, i'm afraid to say this, they are too fresh to export to transpacifc. so you must eat that in japan. there's no choice.
and besides fabulous BENTOs, the're so many fans waiting for you to coming to our coutry.not only one night festival but some gigs.

i mean, we have a lot of LOCAL BENTOs and some people call that "THE ESSENCE OF BENTO." and you can't eat this without visiting there. bacause good things go bad so easily.

please frank, you know what i'm talking about.

P.S. now i'm eating a terrific, authentic TERIYAKI BENTO (yummy...) i hope this summer you'll try this.
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha
I do hope Frank reads this, this is one funny post!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000